Imagining Life Beyond "The Economy"

Darren mail at vegburner.co.uk
Mon Nov 28 13:04:30 GMT 2011

Thought I sent this before.  Appologies if it appears twice

"What is it "to occupy"? What is this charged word that is spreading
like wildfire and inciting us to reclaim public space? It reminds some
of us of invasion, colonization-as in "an occupied nation." At the same
time, the #Occupy Movement is pointing toward a different sense of the
word: something more like a taking back, a holding of space in order to
open it up toward new collective possibilities. From its Latin roots,
"to occupy" can, in fact, mean to seize a space against the status quo
and to turn it towards something new. To occupy is to construct a space
in which we can engage in the craft-the occupation-of enacting the world
we long for.i We need to understand and to enact "occupation" in the
widest sense possible: to seize every single space that we possibly
can-physical and conceptual-in which to exercise collective power and
experiment with new forms of collective life. This is also about making
visible the spaces that we have already occupied, the practices and
forms of life in which we are already rooted and which we already share
in common. Think of us as water; think of our spaces of occupation as
the cracks into which we flow. These are the footholds from which we
launch each new moment of creative action. " more......