Luddites 200th anniversary - launch events

Ned Ludd tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Wed Oct 26 23:03:37 BST 2011

pls forward to related anti-elitism & social justice lists

Dear Friends,

As you will have seen in the update message that
we sent you last Friday Luddites 200 is holding
two events on November 4th, a film night/party in
London and a meeting in Nottingham. We very much
hope to see you at one or other of these events.
Please help us publicise the events by
circulating the flyers below to your friends and contacts.

Down with all Kings but King Ludd!

Ned

London

Celebrate the Luddites’ 200th Anniversary!
Film screening/200th Birthday Party
Housmans Peace Diary 2012 launch

November 4, 2011 7 pm London Action Resource
Centre 62 Fieldgate St London E1
1ES  www.luddites200.org.uk luddites200 at yahoo.co.uk
<https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=278419898857946>https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=278419898857946
Free, donations welcome

On the exact 200th anniversary of the first
Luddite attack at Bulwell near Nottingham,
(‘Mischief Night’ in the North of England),
we will be screening two films.  The first is a
drama-documentary about the Yorkshire Luddites in
1812 that shows that the Luddites were not
mindless vandals and opponents of progress as
scientists have portrayed them - they broke only
machines they thought ‘hurtful to Commonality’ ie. to the common good.

The second film, ‘New Technology: Whose
Progress?’ is a documentary about industrial
automation and workers’ responses in the 1980s,
featuring Tony Benn and Mike Cooley of the Lucas
Aerospace Shop Stewards.  The film is very
relevant in the current austerity climate, in
which technology is being used to cut the jobs of
public sector workers, such as librarians.

We will also be launching the  2012 Housmans
Peace Diary which contains a  special feature on
the Luddites and current technology issues such
as GM food, nuclear power, drones, reproductive
technology, nanotechnology and
‘geoengineering’.  The screenings will be
followed by a 200th Birthday party for the Luddites.

The Luddites200 group is celebrating this
anniversary to set the record straight about the
Luddites.  We want to start an open debate about
the politics of technology.  This event and a
simultaneous event in Nottingham marks the launch
of the Luddites200 celebrations.  For details of
other forthcoming events see www.luddites200.org.uk.

Housmans Bookshop has published the Peace Diary
since 1952.  This edition includes a World Peace
Directory listing1500 national and international
peace, environ-ment and human rights
organisationsaround the world. www.housmans.com/diary.php.

<https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=278419898857946>https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=278419898857946

Help celebrate 200th anniversary of the Luddite uprising
November 2011 – January 2013 marks the 200th
anniversary of the Luddite uprisings, in which
artisan cloth workers smashed machines which were
destroying their trades, undercutting wages and
forcing them into unemployment and destitution.
Today, the industrial system that the Luddites
were rebelling against has led to climate change
and huge losses of biodiversity, and its new
technologies, such as information technology,
genetic engineering and nanotechnology raise
equally profound issues. Yet anyone who raises
concern about the price and side-effects of new
technologies is harshly condemned as a 'luddite',
someone supposedly irrationally opposed to technology and progress.
http://www.luddites200.org.uk/

Nottingham

Celebrate The Luddites' 200th Anniversary!

Friday November 4, 2011 7 pm Sumac Centre 245
Gladstone Street, Nottingham NG7 6HX
www.luddites200.org.uk luddites200 at yahoo.co.uk
Free, donations welcome

On the exact 200th anniversary of the first
Luddite attack at Bulwell near Nottingham,
(‘Mischief Night'), the Luddites200 group is launching its celebrations.

Chris Weir of the Nottingham archives will tell
the story of the 1811-12 uprisings and talk about
what the Luddites were fighting for.

Michael Reinsborough of Luddites200 will talk
about technology issues in the 21st century
including the use of technology to cut jobs as
part of the public sector cuts and issues like GM
food, nuclear power and surveillance.

The discussions will be followed by a social event.

The Luddites200 group is celebrating this
anniversary in order to set the record straight
about the Luddites.  We want to start an open
debate about the politics of technology.  For
details of other forthcoming events contact
luddites200 at yahoo.co.uk or visit www.luddites200.org.uk.