Ecological Land Co-op seeking crowd funding for research

Darren Hill mail at vegburner.co.uk
Tue Sep 13 22:38:28 BST 2011

http://bit.ly/dE44AR

"Governments and international agencies urgently need to boost
ecological farming techniques to increase food production and save the
climate," said UN Special Rapporteur on the Right to Food, Olivier De
Schutter.

This project will produce an essential publication which aids the
Co-operative in promoting ecological agriculture within the UK. We will:

. Provide an overview of the state of ecological agriculture in the UK,
looking at which production methods, crops, ownership, marketing
systems, etc. are employed and where this is being carried out.
. Establish the current state of assessment for this agricultural
sector, analysing what is being assessed, by whom and what the
limitations and opportunities are of the assessment.
. Evaluate the social, environmental and economic impacts and potential
contribution of ecological agriculture in the UK.
. Using the research, analyse:
- The barriers are to the growth in ecological farming in the UK and to
experimentation and research in ecological agriculture.
- How promoters of ecological agriculture determine best, or good enough
practice and how they can best support the growth of ecological agriculture.

The research will shape our future campaigns and we will share our work
with other organisations supporting and promoting sustainable agriculture.

      About Us

Vision and Mission

Our mission is to provide affordable opportunities for ecological
land-based businesses in the UK. We support rural regeneration by
developing farming, forestry and other rural enterprises which are
viable, small-scale and ecologically beneficial. In the first 5 years we
are focusing on the creation of affordable ecological small-holdings.

Our Track Record

Since 2007 we have built up a database of and given advice to dozens of
smallholders and supporters of ecological land stewardship, purchased
our first site in Mid Devon and begun negotiations for our second site.
We have successfully lobbied for policy changes supportive of ecological
land stewardship and completed our first report into financially
successful ecological enterprises on 10 acres or less.

Who Do We Help?

The beneficiaries of the project are primarily those that successfully
apply for an affordable small-holding. Other beneficiaries include the
local community who benefit from an increase in local sustainable food,
economic and other activity in their area, and the improved management
of their natural environment. The wider community also benefit from
increased ecological food production, access to rural business as
educational and recreational opportunities and again from improved
management of the rural environment.

At the broadest level we aim to open up access to land for people of
average or low income, and to strengthen cultural and economic links
between people and nature.

How Do We Deliver This?

The Co-operative's primary product is affordable residential
small-holdings for ecological agriculture. We also support smallholders
and carry out research which supports our policy development work,
creating the planning and policy framework capable of delivering
ecological smallholdings.