Entrepreneur squatters take over empty Bath shops

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Mon Sep 19 22:43:54 BST 2011

Squatters spark anger as they take over shops
http://www.thisisbath.co.uk/Squatters-spark-anger-shops/story-13336850-detail/story.html
Thursday, September 15, 2011 - Bath Chronicle
Squatters have moved into two empty city centre shops and have
started running their own businesses from them.
Two companies selling women's handbags and other accessories have set
up shop in the former Jane Norman shop in Union Street and the old
Jessops branch in Southgate Street.
Both have put up coloured posters in the window, offering deals on
various goods, and have been playing loud music to entice customers in.
The owners of both units have confirmed that they are taking legal
action to evict the squatters and hope that they will have a court
order by the end of this week.
Mike McElhinney, partner in charge of the Bath branch of commercial
property firm King Sturge, said he believed dishonest locksmiths from
elsewhere must have opened the properties for the squatters.
He said: "A few years ago we had the same problem in another shop in
Bath. They always put up speakers at the door, they always sell the
same sort of products.
"If anybody in a suit goes in, then all the staff seem to
mysteriously disappear.
"If we ask them how they got in then they say they found it open.
They have friendly locksmiths from some distant place who unlock the
door for them and go off, leaving the keys in the door for them. So
technically they don't break in.
"They are paying no rents, no rates and no electricity, and are
taking business out of the mouths of those companies which are paying
their bills."
A man who appeared to be running the business in the former Jessops
store told a Chronicle reporter that he did not want to talk about it
and ordered her out of the shop.
A member of staff working at the former Jane Norman store said he
believed his boss was paying rent on a temporary one-month contract
and had no idea that they were regarded as squatters.
A spokesman for real estate fund manager PRUPOIM, which owns the
former Jessops shop, said: "We are aware of this unlawful occupation
and have already begun taking legal action against these occupiers."
At the moment the former Jane Norman store is the hands of
administrators Zolfo Cooper after the women's clothing chain went
under earlier in the year.
A spokesman said: "I can confirm that the administrators are working
with the landlord to address this issue. The administrators are also
in negotiations with the landlord regarding the lease of the property
for the long-term."

http://www.thisisbath.co.uk/Squatters-spark-anger-shops/story-13336850-detail/story.html
+44 (0)7786 952037
http://groups.google.com/group/uk-911-truth