[Diggers350] Taxation and True Freedom

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 20 16:34:57 BST 2011

Hi Colin, and thanks for this!

Well it all depends what u mean by tax havens. Have a look at this exchange
- at the end is some stuff on havens you may find of interest but you'll
probably need to follow the thread from top to bottom or it might not make
sense. the conversation was inspired by last Saturday's radical picnics, one
at the Bank of England in solidarity with #occupywallst and the other on
Clapham Common, for land and freedom :-)

Hi all,

Since there is some ethical advertising going on tonight, here’s my
shameless, albeit related to tomorrows picnic, plug:

http://bsnews.info/Money_and_Finance.html

The money and finance section of BSNews contains a collection of
documentaries and video blog series to help educate and provide a baseline
understanding of the concepts, tricks, ruses and deceptions behind modern
banking and finance. The three people mentioned below have taken what is
essentially a dull and boring although gravely important topic and have made
entertaining and educational films which draw the viewer in and make you
want to learn more. For those more at home with reading than watching
YouTube, I heartily recommend Ellen Brown’s ‘Web of Debt’ - a clear and
concise explanation of the problems and the solution.

*Bill Still*’s wonderful ‘Secret of Oz’ is a must watch – trailer is here [
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cq9yEVcGIU ]; entertaining and very
informative – one of the few trusted sources calling for real monetary
reform. I met Bill last year and he’s an incredibly generous spirit – he’s
been on his journey for over two decades now – I assured him that we’d sort
out this, the mother of all problems, within my lifetime. As the man says,
“this *IS *the civil rights struggle of the 21st century”

*Damon Vrabel* is an ex Wall Street insider who has seen the light and has
now embarked upon a life course aimed at solving the worlds problems which
are fundamentally caused by the corrupting nature of money. His lively
delivery and grasp of the important facts in his groundbreaking Renaissance
2.0 series [ http://bsnews.info/Renaissence_2.0_P1.html ] is a joy to see.
We are not here to curse the darkness, but to light a candle that can guide
us through that darkness to a safe and sane future. For the world is
changing. The old era is ending. The old ways will not do
- John F.Kennedy

*Chris Martenson* is another valuable contributor to the overall effort. His
‘Crash Course’ [ http://bsnews.info/The_Crash_Course_P1.html ] is essential
viewing for those wanting a detailed breakdown of all aspects of money. I
particularly enjoyed Chapter 10 – Inflation where he charts the cost of
living in the US from 1665 to 2008 – the increase in inflation in my own
lifetime paints a gloomy picture for our immediate future but without the
understanding that this a deliberate policy, we’ll be hard pressed to
counter the effects and reverse this worrying trend. In the UK at present,
prices of most goods are set to double every ten years – we are literally on
the slippery slope heading for hyper-inflation – the poor, the working
class, wage earners of all income brackets are going to be affected by this
so its imperative we know the root cause. I came away with the thought – if
we want to stop inflation, we have to stop fighting wars. During times of
peace, the cost of living remains steady. Today’s agenda of endless war is
the perfect recipe for total financial meltdown.

Enjoy and feel free to forward to friends, family and colleagues, especially
those working in banking and finance (many of whom are as much in the dark
about this stuff as most people)

Thanks and kind regards
mike

PS congrats Mark x

BSN has been born out of activists’ frustration with the political and
corporate bias in the mainstream media (MSM).
http://bsnews.info/About_Us.html

 Thanks Mike,

The problem with all of the analyses you promote is their tendency to limit
their views of the problem to the finance sector, which is just that, only
one sector, albeit an important one, of the whole economy.

Here’s a brief extract from A World to Win’s 2011 Manifesto of Revolutionary
Solutions ( http://www.aworldtowin.net/Manifesto/Intro.html ) which begins
to redress the balance.

Gerry

*The source of the crash*

Though many blame the “greed” of bankers and speculators on the money and
commodity markets for the crash, their rise to power was the result of the
insatiable demand for credit needed to fund the growth of commodity
production and consumption.

The real source of the crash is to be found at the heart of the capitalist
system of production, in the “real” economy where labour adds value to the
inputs. In capitalist society people are employed to produce the commodities
and services which are bought and sold in the global marketplace: cars,
refrigerators, trainers, mobile phones, laptops, notebooks, net-books,
tablets, food and drink, bus, train and plane journeys.

Only part of the value workers add through their labour is returned to them
as wages. The surplus remaining – after the other costs of production are
deducted from the income on sales – is distributed to shareholders as
dividends, to pay rent to landowners, and as interest to banks and other
suppliers of credit. Competition on price requires increases in the
productivity of labour which reduces the hours needed for the production of
a commodity. So the value, which is determined by the quantity of labour it
contains, and hence the price of, and profit from each commodity tend to
decline as a result. To offset the reducing profit derived from each
ever-cheaper computer or car, more units of each type of commodity must be
manufactured and sold.

This is the insane logic of capitalism. It pushes for growth not because it
can, but because it must, until the limits of the market are reached,
stretched and oversupplied. And then growth goes into reverse. Capacity is
idled and then destroyed, while the exploitation of those with jobs
increases as costs are slashed.
 ------------------------------
 Dear Mike and Gerry

I think there is strength in both of your positions and I am looking forward
to Gerry's response to you Mike. The weakness in your position, in my view
however is its focus on national to the expense of local (ie direct
democratic) and global (post Westphalian) solutions. The danger with such an
approach is not so much to do with the political content you espouse, which
broadly I agree with but with the reactionary forces it naturally aligns
with in terms of dealing with (a) the challenge of state-corporate hegemony
over popular decision making and (b) capitalist globalisation, which
constitutes a global financial dictatorship (in the form of bond markets).
While you might argue that your position is the perfect response to the
latter, while the former can be struggled for after the event (of national
monet reform) - I disagree.

One country or even a number of countries cancelling their debts, whether
via genuine monetary reform and the launch of debt-free money, or just the
(far worse, I agree) usual method of currency devaluation as was the case in
Argentina may allow a country to regrow its economy along enlightened
monetary lines (or, just on the traditional neo-liberal model in the latter
case) but still the global hegemon remains at large, able to go where it
pleases and other nations will be only so happy to remain friendly to the
investment. Tax havens will remain, as will poverty in sub-saharan Africa
and a host of other problems that require a global co-ordinated response.
Worse, once a successful movement for national economic sovereignty takes
root in one or more sufficienty influential / globally integrated countries
there could be a race to the bottom as nations compete with each other to
default and reduce their currency values, cut yet more services in order to
become more attractive than the next for capitalist investment and so we
have fracturing of the global family of nations that can all too easily lead
to enormous economic problems and at worst, great power war. Likewise there
is no guarantee that once the movement is successful there will be
sufficient political interest or economic challenge for people to develop
the new participatory politics that this email list is set up to support.
Your view appears to be that state owned bank = public owned bank. But we
are trying to forge a new approach to public ownership, based on full
democratic participation, or a politics of the common. And this is very
necessary if we are to change our culture towards humanity co=operation and
connection as opposed to greed exploitation and competition.

Likewise internationally - where again competition between nation states
rules, as commanded by the global dictatorship. So if one nation is on the
road to some kind of recovery, effectively the rest of the world can go to
hell and there is no incentive to look at the real nature of the political
and social culture we are left with at the community level. However
desirable, I do not see how the end of national deficit, state
self-sufficiency and liquidity and a debt free system in one or more
countries somehow guarantees social, economic and political justice. Only a
movement based on new local and global and yes national political and
economic forms can achieve that.

Yes - 100% I should like to see a political movement that focuses on
monetary and linked tax reform (essentially embracing land tax via the
capture of rental values for public purposes, and a new form of debt-free
money backed by the same land), as my post about Israel and Palestine below
makes clear. And, yes, a linked national and indeed personal debt
cancellation (in the traditon of the original Mesopotamium / Hebrew
'Jubilee'). These ideas are what I believe in 100%, for Israel Palestine as
for England, Argentina, India and elsewhere. But I do not believe in a
national movement on its own to achieve them.

In order to really challenge the hegemon, what is needed is a movement that
aims itself globally, wherre there is a universal system already, made up of
lots of different institutions and, in the case of some of them - the bond
market, IMF and others - controlling our national politicians  in place. We
need a movement to challenge and transform these institutions, in order to
ensure support for the most vulnerable.

Just as once a strong, brutal King managed to unite the leaders of the many
feudal communities that had warred so long with one another to create the
beginnings of the modern nation state, so the global tyrant of elite capital
owners, and the many undemocratic institutions that exist at the global
level and which mainly exist to support their interests are now that uniting
global King. And just as the next stahe of development of the nation state
was to challenge the absolute monarch, to ensure a democratisation of the
executive through the promotion of a Parliamentary Sovereignty with
representation and suffrage for all, so we face the same challenge with the
proto-global state represented by the G20, central banks, global stock and
debt market traders, the IMF, Euro Stability Fund, UN Security Council and
the rest. Without that, we will never force the redistribution of wealth,
power and resources to the worlds poorest because they simply do not matter,
are not represented on the world governance stage.

What allowed the people to challenge the King was when they themselves
united as people had done in the first place to bring about the first
national King, and as - in the UK's case - the Barons had done to challenge
national King at Magna Carta. People had to do that, to nationalise
themselves in the order to get some national rights, some rule of law that
they had a part in framing - just as they did in the England in 1649, and in
France and North America in the 18th C. Today, if we just stay nationally
minded, however good our policies on money, land, tax, debt, education and
so forth, we will leave ourselves as a people - the people of the world -
divided, and therefore ruled over. It would be as if the peasants and the
bougeousie and retreated into their local groups in the 17th C and decided
to just let the King carry on controlling them through their local, grace
and favoured strong men. This is how dictators like Assad, Mubarak and
Ghaddafi stayed in power nationally and it is exactly how Henry VIII and is
ilk worked in the past. But today, because of many factors  this
dictatorship is global. All the big issues are global issues: unemployment
is a global issue, debt is a global issue, poverty is a global issue,
climate change is a global issue etc etc. The need for global solutions is
self-evident. We cannot go on having a world of competing nation states, do
so will make the elite very happy - they will keep making money whether the
markets go up or down cos they will always find safe havens for their money
to make more money. Instead what is needed is a new global settlement, with
the formation of a global democratic governing force, powered by people not
people with money. And the only way to start that revolution is where all
revolutions for new, better governments start always start, on the issue of
tax, representation and new forms of political and economic sovereignty.

That is why I campaign for People's Assemblies. They are the future global
drivers of a new global governance movement, a new sovereignty which is

*1) local* (in that it constitutes a new site of power but also that
eventually it will allow people to participate fully in local service
provision, forging new social relationships, new locally unique cultural
form and protecting all the most vulnerable, in human, natural ways,
fundamentally impossible for any state or corporate interests, however well
run)

*2) national *- working with other Assemblies across the national realm to,
crucially end/transform the present operations of the nation state. Yes!
monetary + land tax reform, debt free money, national debt cancellation (so
that banks and the land system are public owned) but also a new,
decentralised, written constitutional settlement, as I said before,
essentially so that public can no longer mean state which is the exact path
to facism or facism lite (which is effectively, what we have to deal with).
Something that goes beyond the revolutionary settlement of 17th/18th C by
puting the future direction of the nation in the hands of the people, in
both theory and practice. Direct/Real Democracy Now! -->> no carbon copy but
in ways and means unique to each nation states own culture and history. Some
new national institutions, some reformed old ones and some old ones
abolished, but all linked to the new sovereigns, the assemblies so that
sovereignty is not ultimately with the national decision making body, except
where delegated, but with the people.So, for example here in Angleterre
Libre! we might abolish or fundamentally reform Westminster, include a new
English Parliament driven be delegates from each City and Rural Region with
ultimate sovereignty vested at the neighbourhood level. In other nations the
constutional challenges will be different, but similar as local conditions
vary. *

3) global*   - working together in solidarity with Assemblies, likewise at
the national level, also at the transnational - continental and world-wide.
So with comms and support across all the communities and the development of
a global agenda for change, which would essentially involve the formation of
new international institutions of the common - ie fully participatory, and
where appropriate the common democratisation of all the current
international institutions, except where they are irredeemable in which case
they must be abolished.  Where this global agenda starts is the big question
of the Assemblies movement today, which brings me back to the point about
representation and taxation and sovereignty.

The national revolutions that made the modern capitalist state were formed
by popular movements challenging the King's right to force taxation and
other coercive measures. In his place people wanted a national body that
could choose taxation levels based on some degree of popular will thru
election processes - effectively after 17th C we could kick the bugger out
although there were centuries of struggle to make 'we' not just male
landowners.

But anyway, likewise today the global king has special quasi divine rights
over its nation state subjects. So, capital can move where it wants to
escape national taxation and nations must bow and scrape better than the
next state to attract it into their domain. It follows that until A. there
is a global power that commands capital to work in particular ways conducive
to the public good and B. there is closure of all capitals many global hidey
holes so that those that control and profit most from global trade and
investment can be taxed effectively and fairly in order to pay of global
public goods that are not attainable via said command (ie just like at the
national level: where the state has the power A> to regulate businesses to
protect human labour rights and the environment and B> tax individuals and
corporations to pay for public goods not provided by businesses)

By all means let us put forward national programmes for money, tax and debt
reforms. But let us link these to a programmme for constitutional reform
which makes the people in the form of equals in assembliesm the sovereigns.
And let us drive that movement from the assemblies themselves joined up
across the realm. And, equally important let us encourage the same, and join
up with assemblies across the continent, and the world. And let us all look
to ourselves in this not just a local and national but also, to really
finish the job (and avoid the risk of excluding the least privileged
worldwide) we must never forget we need a global revolution. Simply put,
that is the world historical challenge we face.

And, to do that to make a global revolution we have to start somewhere. and
that place is time honoured. Corporations, bankers, market traders and other
elite global owners of capital have an enormous representation in our
national goverments, to the point that we can meaningfully call it a global
financial dictatorship.

Therefore, let us start the revolution by calling for the closing of tax
havens and the building up of the people assemblies / real and direct
democracy movement as the new sovereign power. Closing tax havens will
require aq global movement, and when we make ourselves into that, a global
movement of peoples assemblies for the closure of tax havens so that monies
for public goods can flow into the national treasuries we will have set our
sights on the ultimate prize. National treasuries may do well, but what
about those that do not - where the poorest of the world huddle to stay
alive. We need a movement that puts them, the people of Kenya for example at
the heart of what we do. So the closure of tax havens should be seen as the
precursor to a global taxation of capital, with the destination of the tax
revenues being decided by the Assemblies, redistributed direct to them
unless the global consensus says it should go to another agent. We need
assemblies to win this, to become a global movement and for the changes to
be forced on vested interests - the global financial dictatorshhip - but
also they need to see themselves as the future sovereign powers, where tax
receipts taken locally, nationally and internationally by default, and
according to local need, national and global consensus end up, so revenues
can be spent on democratically decided local services. The Parliamentary
sovereign power, will then be decentralised and made truly common.

I believe this kind of global thinking and a revolutionary focus on tax
havens as a basic starting point needs to be embraced by the Assemblies
movement and that communications between assemblies, manifestos and global
days of action such as Oct 15th, should start this process.

Linked nationally to campaigns for monetary reform (and land tax to back the
new debt-free money) and a decentralised constitutional settlement that puts
powers to spend revenues, government bank-spend and sometimes lend to local
businesses (interest free where possible), educate and raise children ('it
takes a village to bring up a child' and each assembly can be a democratic
school), and exchange public monies and resources ( citizen's income, social
security payments and/or housing services) for democratically agreed
employment, the last two when people are out of work or homeless and other
traditional state functions made truly democratic.

> PS congrats Mark x
> Thanks Mike! :-)
>
> Here's the mail I sent round earlier this week, about Israel and Palestine
and a possible common cause for the two polities. It was sent to 15M
International about J14 Israel, the Palestinian self-determination movement
and the wider, common struggle.

 > Two points that might link the two struggles of Israel J14 and Palestine
economically are (1) the subsidising of settlements by Israeli taxpayers,
much of the profits from which end up in private financial hands. Another
potential link would be (2) a campaign to unite the two polities to reduce
housing costs and regressive tax burdens ( such as income tax ) by calling
for an Israel-Palestine wide land value taxation.

The latter would mean the socialisation of land rents throughout the realm,
with a tax-free band for small land-holdings or those on lower incomes whose
properties are used for owner/family residences. This would effectively kill
private property speculation by big corporate developers and their
bank-rollers), reducing house prices while also creating a new government
fund for Palestinian and Israeli public goods, with monies to be
redistributed justly across the green line. (Receipts, the rent-tax being
based on market value of land in question, would be highest in upmarket
places like Rothschild Blvd in Tel Aviv and lowest/zero in the poorest
settlements).

I would like to propose this idea is being actually about cracking down on
tax evasion, rather than thinking of it as a new tax. There is a strong
intellectual argument, which I happen to agree with which says that rent is
the return on land, and that it belongs to everyone because the rental value
of any piece of land is based upon its location value, the level of which is
based on either (a) natural resources, nature or God-given, in the case of
eg a place full of precious metals or (b) collective not individual human
effort, as in the case of a piece of property which is located near a tube
station, or great shops or a beautiful historic building. Either way, the
value has been created by collective, common processes which means that
morally and rationally the rental value, or economic fruit of that land
belongs to everyone. Therefore it should be available for the public purse,
and landowners should not be able to cream the rent just coz they had the
capital to purchase the land at artificially inflated and inaccessible
prices.

'Artificially inflated' is the right phrase because of the fact of
Riccardo's 'Law of Rent'. This says that if rent remains privatised, rising
wealth in the realm all or nearly all ends up in rising property prices (
instead of rising wages, for example). Hence, giving big, medium and even
small capitalist landowners the free lunch of the right to collect rent
returns on the community asset par excellence land or real estate is in
effect the ultimate, 'best kept secret' tax haven.

Yesterday, at our Bank of England picnic while talking with folk from UK
Uncut ( whose whole inspiring campaign, now emulated across the world ) is
ALL about tax evasion, as I posted last night in a report, we were looking
for a relevant global focus on Oct15 and we obviously talked about tax
havens. Wouldn't it be great if Uncut linked up with 15M? I mentioned
yesterday our idea to make the day of action about tax havens, and obviously
the obvious place to start on this is, as Uncut have thus far done, on
corporate tax avoidance. But what if we brought the land question into the
mix too? Wouldn't that be hugely powerful? It is inscribed on a sign on the
pediment of the Royal (ex-stock) Exchange building, high above us, and next
to the Bank of England where we picnicked yesterday 'The Earth is the Lord's
and the Fullness Thereof'.

Hey - the bourgeois bankers that built the City of London I itself a huge
tax haven with powers, still to this day believe it or not over the Queen
and the Prime Minister - they wrote that quote in their supposed piety. Let
us hoist them on their own petard!! If we are serious about global
r'evolution - we must focus on taxation, representation and closing the
loopholes that allow global players, corporate and individual - literally
get away with murder. In the West Bank, Nigeria, England, Libya, Israel or
wherever - everywhere - they rule with impunity because all the fiscal and
political rules are set in their favour. We need a global movement that
changes that, which democratises the fiscal and economic rules so that the
owners of capital have nowhere to run to.

And to do that we need to identify the loopholes and privileges that the
same elite keep secret from us - the best way to attack the financial elite,
bankers corporations investment houses and mega rich individuals is to focus
our collective forces on their tax freedoms and their representations at the
highest levels of governance. While at the same time demanding and building
new democratic structures that include all, both to drive the campaign
mobilisations but also in preparation to take power at the grassroots and
global levels.

Participation not False Representation! Down with the global financial
dictatorship! Close the tax havens! Tax the landowners! Take back the power
to create money! Back money with land! Tax international transactions! No
corporate representation without taxation! Redistribute tax to the people's
assemblies!

So let us think carefully about tax havens for Oct 15.

Let us surprise people by including private land in our definition of tax
havens. And let's keep the focus on the finance institutions - bankers not
only use traditional tax havens constantly, but they are also probably the
biggest private property owners of all.

There was, coincidentally another radical picnic yesterday in London. The
official 17$ one was at the Bank of England, in solidarity with Occupy Wall
St, but also other good comrades held another one ( and now it is a week
long camp! ) on Clapham Common.

The event was for land and freedom, and inspired by The English Diggers
(also known as The True Levellers, the equivalent of the sans-cullottes in
France and likewise as direct democrats / proto-communists betrayed after
the revolution by the bourgeois and later, palace counter-revolution. The
Diggers were a revolutionary group that fought for Parliament over King in
the English Revolution of 1649. Their leader Gerard Winstanley was a very
charismatic person whose many sayings echo down the ages. One unforgettable
one is 'The Earth is a Common Treasury for All'

And what's needed, in Palestine and Israel just as in England, France USA
Spain Greece and elsewhere is exactly that: for the seizing of the land's
economic value it's rental stream at market value FOR PUBLIC PURPOSES ie as
a 'common treasury for all'.

At the same time, banks - being a public services, and also by right part of
the commons -should have their private power to issue public credit removed.
When a government gets forced to do both those things, there is the
possibility for a new kind of money, backed not by thin air as is now the
case, or by Gold or Silver as in the past but finally by the ultimate
collaterel, the ultimate resource, the rock itself - land or 'real property'
as it is known in English Law.

If the government -any government, UK, Euro, Palestinian-Israel, other were
able to capture the rental value of the land and issue a new form of
debt-free money backed by the value of the land that is its sovereign right
if democratically constituted (ie when sovereignty vests ultimately direct
democratically with the local assemblies, and therefore the gov is rightly
constituted as a decentralised federal body ) then the land itself is now
the government's ( ie the people's) collateral (backing its money) and
source of revenue ( via socialised rents).

This is surely as it should be? Income tax and other regressive taxes on
human effort can then be reduced and people putting their feet up and
creaming in the rent like the banks and land developers ( eg in the
settlements, subsidised even before land tax is considered, by Israeli
taxpayers!!) and people like the Duke of Westminster in London (who also
owns tracts of Spain) can be stopped.

Plus a direct-linked Money Reform would mean would mean the end of national
deficits, unsustainable inflation based on the system of fractional reserve
and Central Banks and global capitalists pulling national politicians
strings.. Ok I've said enough. At the heart of it all is the question of
access to land. The hottest dispute here in the Uk is Dale Farm. With that -
land access in the form of lower rents, lower land prices and common spaces
for assemblies to build communes together without government intervention
except in cases where abuses of power are taking place we can build the New
Jerusalem.

Jesus Peace and Blessing Upon Him put the question of land access best of
all, so I will quote him last ' the birds have their nests and the foxes
have their holes but the Son of Man hath nowhere to lay his head' - Son of
Man, read Palestinians, poor Israelis, Dale Farm Travellers, Indignados
everywhere.

In short humanity itself.

Love and Solidarity!

Apathy is Dead