State and private security surveillance of protests

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Mon Sep 26 09:07:18 BST 2011

Hi all,

Very good 'File on 4' programme now available on-line, "investigat[ing] the
use of computer hacking by the police and security agencies and asks -- is it
legal?"

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radio4/fileon4/fileon4_20110920-2044a.mp3

Also available on iPlayer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b014q04r/File_on_4_Cyber_Spies/

File on 4 - Cyber Spies

The criminal exploitation of the internet poses one of the biggest threats to
UK national security. As organised crime gangs and terrorists use it to
communicate and plan their activities, the police and security agencies are
turning to hacking to conduct surveillance and gather intelligence.

In the first of a new series, File on 4 looks at the covert techniques being
used to get beyond the firewall of a suspect's PC. But are the tactics legal?
One leading expert says the rules governing interception are inconsistent and
on occasions, misinterpreted by the police.

Reporter Stephen Grey also examines the way British companies are helping to
proliferate this hi-tech snooping to countries with questionable human rights
and which use it to monitor political opponents and dissidents.

And, with the Ministry of Defence developing its defences against
sophisticated international attacks how vulnerable is the UK to "cyber
warfare". Why did a Chinese state telecommunications company briefly 'hijack'
most of the world's internet traffic one day last year? Producer: David Lewis
Reporter: Stephen Grey.

P.

- --

.

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ebo/

Read my 'essay' weblog, "Ecolonomics", at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ecolonomics/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/mobbsey-2011.asc