[Diggers350] Newbury development and food growing

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Tue Apr 17 02:17:08 BST 2012

Newbury bypass was wholly unnecessary
The conjestion it eased was caused by
1. a Sainsbury's being built on the outside of
the dual carriageway junction to the West of the town and
2. traffic lights having to be installed on the
roundabout of what was a dualled A-road - effectively a motorway.
Put traffic lights in and make lots of extra
traffic cross a motorway and you will see gridlock.
Great excuse for a bypass
Instead of the roundabout & traffic lights the
section 106 agreement for Sainsbury's COULD have
stipulated they build a split level junction instead
- with a roundabout on top of the dual carriageway A34
The short section of single carriageway A34 to
the North of Sainsbury's could also have been
dualled - but it ran along the front drives of
many of the most expensive homes in Newbury
Either of these two solutions would have reduced
and even negated the need for a bypass
But.... the land between Newbury and the proposed
Eastern bypass had already been bought by speculators
Land Securities and the like.
The existing rout was not going to be upgraded - too much money at stake
Rich people don't like motorways being built at the end of their drive.
Speculators don't like to lose money.

The LibDem MP was David Rendall
Whatever happened to him now?

At 10:31 15/04/2012, david bangs wrote:

>James,
>
>The Newbury development is a spin off /
>consequence of the Newbury Bypass (which I am
>sure you opposed)...and the Newbury Bypass was
>part of a roads policy which served the
>interests of capital, not of ordinary folk. That
>is, it served/serves to concentrate capital in
>regions and sub-regions most favourable for
>profit...at the expense of other regions (both
>within the UK, Europe, and globally) and at the expense of nature.
>
>The proposed Newbury development is at the
>junction of the M4 ('silicone valley') corridor
>and the A34 (Solent/Oxford/midlands) corridor.
>That is the reason for its landscape's
>vulnerability...and its ancient riverine and
>woodland landscapes - of massive cultural importance - are ignored.
>
>Watership Down lies over 4 miles to the south
>and is entirely irrelevant...a bit of journalistic hyperbole...
>
>The Newbury Sandleford developmemt is proposed
>in a landscape which is a palimpsest of little
>woods, streams and open land. It is the last
>place one would rationally choose to put a major built development.
>
>Agricultural land in Britain relative to
>population IS scarce. Much of that land is in
>the middling and lower grades. Here in Sussex
>the higher grades (two and one) are on the
>coastal plain and on bands of ground which are
>subject to full-on built development pressures
>and (in the former case and in the long run)
>from climate change sea level rise.
>
>We could and should increase the footprint of
>productive food growing land but that needs be
>done in a very considered and planned fashion to
>prevent it taking place at the expense of nature
>and historic cultural landscapes.
>
>I, too, hated the programme...and turned it
>off...but for different reasons to you. There
>was no mention (if I recall correctly) of
>affordable housing or the kind of employment
>opportunities, and the opponent of the housing
>was very much a local plummy type...and no
>attempt to discuss the issue in larger terms was
>made. The fact of market-based uneven and
>combined development was taken as a kind of
>inevitable 'truth',...not something which must be challenged.,
>
>Your response worries me and reminds me of
>something I've always hated in Cahill's "Who
>Owns Britain" book...and which your argument
>reflects. His notion is that a democratic
>re-structuring of land ownership will release
>all the 'wasted', under-utilised land in Britain
>for increased exploitation...his notion is that
>the amount of land is not (part of) the problem,
>if only it were democratically owned....as
>though we are living on the edge of the 'empty'
>American prairies before the 19th century land
>rush...not on islands jam-packed and
>super-exploited by 250 years of capitalism at
>the expense of most of the rest of the world..
>
>I start from the opposite standpoint to
>Cahill...There is far too little land...and both
>nature, built development and food growing are
>driven into destructive competition by the
> [...]

http://groups.google.com/group/uk-911-truth
http://www.youtube.com/user/PublicEnquiry
<http://www.elementary.org.uk>www.elementary.org.uk
www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1407615751783.2051663.1274106225&l=90330c0ba5&type=1

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic
poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung

Fear not therefore: for there is nothing covered
that shall not be revealed; and nothing hid that
shall not be made known. What I tell you in
darkness, that speak ye in the light and what ye
hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops. Matthew 10:26-27

Die Pride and Envie; Flesh, take the poor's advice.
Covetousnesse be gon: Come, Truth and Love arise.
Patience take the Crown; throw Anger out of dores:
Cast out Hypocrisie and Lust, which follows whores:
Then England sit in rest; Thy sorrows will have end;
Thy Sons will live in peace, and each will be a friend.
http://tinyurl.com/6ct7zh6