[Diggers350] Newbury development and food growing

james armstrong james36armstrong at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 19 18:34:22 BST 2012

Dave,

agree with much of what you say.

And like to
think of myself as atavistic – that sounds vaguely feral and  get up and gol

But
seriously,  I always ask nimby’s  first , are you well housed?

First I should
declare an interest. Mine is that I am well housed and snug,  with no mortgage or rent to pay,  so I would never presume to  tell someone in housing need that butterflies
 and foxes come first, and that the
supply of new houses must be curtailed so you will just have to suffer.

Second
where exactly  would you place each of
the 1,000 proposed new houses to be built?

Will you
tell that to the 1,000 families  who
won’t be housed if they are not built.

I am
looking at the  figures for new house
supply for 2010 and it is dire. 136,000 units.

With the backlog
of unbuilt houses the catch up figure Kate Barker quotes is  352,000 new houses each year.   See the Barker Review .

I don’t
think that “ There is far too little land” is a good starting point, for
obvious reasons.

Also ‘increasing
the footprint of food growing land’  is
not on the radar of  policy makers- not
while land use in UK includes - 1.3 million acres of
pony paddocks,and (recently) I million acres of set aside and now  1 million acres ? of oil seed rape some of
which goes to the £81million Norfolk bio-fuels plant of British Sugar.

We have a long
way to go before we need to eat into
food growing land  to build houses. (Tho
Duchy of Cornwall has gobbled up Fordington Fields , Middle Farm and Poundbury
farm   for the horror at  Poundbury,  and without so much as a whimper from NFU or
Farming Today)

And 10million cats
and 10 million dogs and 1 million horses will have to go when there is genuine
food security problem .

Of course
there is no such thing as ‘waste’ land.
I don’t confuse prairies with Dorchester, although the countryside here is  deserted of workers and farmers. 2 Rows of  former farmworkers’ cottages lie abandoned,
with dairy buildings and until recently
one  former farm house.    I have visited 18 deserted  stone age or medieval  settlements around here, and know of another
three,

appreciate your analysis  “The case for
land reform is a case for the democratic resolution of these competitions on
all spatial scales,”      and I ask
exactly where you position the 1,000 new houses    “

And I agree
the danger of  romantic ideas of peasant farming.
My vision is  reforming control of the land- not
changing the use of the land- so that monopolists stop exploiting people’s
housing,Food,
access and social needs ..

Kevin has
some funny ideas among which is that
giving individuals  ownership of
land provides them with an asset against which they can borrow capital - oh my!

I  like your analysis , that capital exploits land  for profit
and not on account of agriculture, development and nature, and I deduce the
need is to  strike the balance according
to  reason and equity not according to
profit.

 I have prepared a pamphlet on housing ,plugging  council housing and team self build  which I’d like your ideas on if you have time
to read and comment  and input?    Cheers mate ,  James