Putney / Levellers Planning - Sunday 12 August 1pm

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 5 03:37:46 BST 2012

            Dear Friends and Occupiers

*21st Century Putney Debates / Levellers Event*

Occupy London are planning to facilitate a 21st Century Putney Debates
event this coming October. You are invited to join us at an open planning
meeting :

*Sunday 12th August 1pm*
*St Pauls Cross, towards the rear of St Pauls Cathedral.*

Sunday October 28th 2012 will be the 365th anniversary of the beginning of
the Putney Debates. The original Debates, groundbreaking in their time,
started at St Mary's Church (Giles Fraser's old parish) in 1647, and ran
until November 11th. They considered the future of the English Constitution
after the removal of the King from the old political order. The Levellers,
who sought a democratic constitution based on an 'Agreement of the People,'
were famously excluded from the final political settlement.

We now face a growing crisis of democracy and we are inviting occupiers,
interested individuals,  and representatives of  groups who are actively
campaigning for a better democracy to join with us in planning out a series
of Leveller's inspired events for this coming autumn.

We have done some initial consultation work and people have proposed a
variety of ideas including re enacting the debates through drama, using
this as an opportunity for groups working on democracy to come together and
linking the democratic deficit with economic injustice.

If you are inspired to contribute and join us, we have three questions that
we would like you to think about to help with the planning of the event:

▪ Why are the Putney Debates important for today?▪ What do we want to see
happen at the events (Speakers/performance/music/discussion etc.) ?▪ What
do we want as an outcome/achievement?

If you are unable to attend this meeting then you are very welcome to email
in suggestions, but we hope you can make it as we need everyone to help
make it happen.

The first meeting will be held at the monument to St Paul's Cross, towards
the rear of St Pauls Cathedral, and in the enclosed grounds. St Paul's
Cross was the place of the first London folkmoot , or people's assembly, so
we think this will be a fitting location!

If you have any queries please get in touch with Julie or Natasha of the
Real Democracy working group via email on the contact details below.

Yours fraternally

Julie Timbrell
Natasha Langridge
Mark Barrett