The Land Is Ours Founding manifesto

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Fri Aug 24 21:14:53 BST 2012

A Land Reform Manifesto

February 22, 1995

http://www.monbiot.com/1995/02/22/a-land-reform-manifesto/

By George Monbiot. Published in the Guardian 22nd February 1995.

The Sutton Estate, just to the west of Newbury,
covers some of the most exalted watermeadows in
southern England. In 1983, when I was waterkeeper
there, the manager told me not to cut too much of
the bankside vegetation. The estate was the
guardian of the countryside. As such it had a
duty to preserve its ancestral character.

In 1994 the meadows were due to be crossed by the
four lanes of the Newbury bypass. Confident that
I could make common cause, I was about to visit
the estate, when the manager published his plans.
Claiming that he was powerless to stop the road,
he requested that he be allowed to supply the
hardcore: he would dig out a further 100 acres of
the meadows for gravel. Beside the road, he
proposed building 1600 houses, a hotel and an
18-hole golf course. As the new bypass was likely
to fill up within a few years, he suggested that
a second road should also pass through the estate.

Looking back, it seems that what I was told in
1983 was prompted less by concern for the common
heritage of humankind than by the fees the
anglers paid to fish a tangled and difficult
beat. As soon as a more profitable use of the
land emerged, ancestral values were
unceremoniously ditched. Although the manager
claimed that his plans would answer Newbury’s
housing needs in a coordinated fashion, it struck
me that the estate’s guardianship of the
countryside extended no further than the next financial opportunity.

The Sutton Estate is no worse than other
landowners: indeed, in one respect it is
significantly better, as it has reseeded
watermeadows which, some years ago, were ploughed
up. But, like all the lords of the land, its
power to treat its property as it wishes is
scarcely restrained. It is this that lies at the
heart of our environmental crisis.

The roads programme, the destruction of our wild
places and archaeological remains, the abominable
treatment of farm animals, the persecution of
gypsies, travellers and protestors are not the
sources of injustice but merely its symptoms.
Unless the environment and social justice
movements address the control and ownership of
land, they will for ever be playing at the margins of political change.

When William the Conqueror arrived in Britain,
the land still belonged to its people. There were
minor lords for whom landless peasants worked in
return for food and protection. There were tens
of thousands of freeholders – people farming for
themselves and their families on small patches of
their own land. But perhaps the majority of
Britain was commons: land owned and used by communities.

William divided England among 180 barons who, in
turn, handed out concessions to their followers.
But the commons were protected: the defeated
Saxons, though they owed both farm labour and
military service to their new lords, were allowed
to farm their community’s open fields and graze
their animals on the “manorial wastes”. The king
was canny enough to know that if he took the
commons from the people, he could never suppress the ensuing revolution.

It was not until Henry VIII’s dissolution of the
monasteries that large-scale dispossessions
began. In selling their land to urban
businessmen, he created a new, peculiarly
rapacious landed class, which wasted no time in
realizing the value of its assets by seizing the
commons and evicting the commoners. The Civil War
was essentially a battle between these new lords
of the land and the older landed order, and the
victory of the former accelerated the adoption of
their methods by the latter. In the 18th and 19th
centuries the institutionalized theft of the
enclosures was formalized by hundreds of acts of parliament.

By the time the Parliamentary Enclosures ended,
most of the population was living in the towns,
many in misery and squalor, and the land was in
the hands of a tiny number of its inhabitants.
Today one per cent of the people own between 50
and 75 per cent of the land. It is impossible to
be precise, as the landlords have successfully
resisted a census since 1875. In Scotland, the
enclosures – or Clearances – were both more rapid
and more complete than in England. Thousands died
when they were dispossessed, tens of thousands
were forcibly loaded onto ships and sent to the
colonies. Today, half of Scotland is owned by 600
people, and the thieves of our common inheritance
are the undisputed lords of the land.

In January 1994, Dr Nick Fiddes, a researcher
studying the direct action movement at Edinburgh
University, was filming hunt saboteurs in the
Borders when, he alleges, he was knocked over and
beaten up by a senior hunt servant of the Duke of
Buccleuch. He kept filming, and his footage
includes a boot slamming past the lens and into
his face. He took the matter to the police, who
referred it to the Procurator Fiscal’s office,
Scotland’s equivalent of the Crown Prosecution Service.

The Crown Council, the highest legal authority in
Scotland, instructed the Procurator Fiscal to
drop the case. Though nominally independent, he
complied. When Dr Fiddes attempted to find out
why the highest powers had intervened in a minor
assault case, he found himself repeatedly stonewalled.

The Duke of Buccleuch is Britain’s largest
landowner. He possesses 288,000 acres in Scotland
and Northamptonshire. Like many of the lords of
the land he remains stupendously powerful. When
John Major sought to appoint the chiefs of his
police authority, the Duke was one of the men he chose.

Landowners have never relinquished their grip on
government. Mrs Thatcher made a point of
promoting them to her Cabinet: in the first years
of her government, one-third of her ministers
were landlords. Their representation in the Lords
needs no elaboration, but it is in the rural
district and county councils that their power is
most naked: they have both the time and the money
to devote to local politics, and can rely upon
the countryside’s culture of deference.
Landowners also chair some of Britain’s most
powerful quangos, including those – such as the
Countryside Commission – charged with defending us from their excesses.

Large landowners today are a mixed bunch: people
who inherited their property or made their money
in cities as well as pension funds and insurance
companies. But they work, both on the countryside
and on our representatives, as a body. In the
last few years the Country Landowners’
Association has campaigned against the
application of environmental conditions to farm
subsidies, attempts to reduce pesticide and
nitrate use, measures to prevent hedgerows being
grubbed up, management plans for ancient
woodlands, public access to the Land Registry and
new laws against badger baiters.

But their greatest victory this decade has
undoubtably been the trespass provisions of the
Criminal Justice Act. These were first proposed
by the Association in 1985, and were partly
accommodated in the Public Order Act of 1986.
Unappeased, the CLA continued to lobby until,
eight years later, it achieved everything it had
been pressing for. The new Act is another act of
enclosure, a further assertion of exclusive
rights by those who claim to own the land.

The landlords’ power to legislate is matched only
by their power to destroy. The argument most
often advanced by the CLA in favour of the
Criminal Justice Act is that travellers damage
hedges, fields and features of historical or
scientific value. Yet, every year throughout the
1990s, country landowners have overseen the loss
of 18,000 kilometres of hedgerow. Since the war,
they have destroyed nearly 50 per cent of our
ancient woodlands, and, this century, they have
ploughed over 70 per cent of our downlands.

Most distressingly, across huge areas they have
erased the historical record. The dense peppering
of longbarrows, tumuli, dykes and hillforts in
what are now the arable lands of southern England
has all but disappeared since the war. In
response to landowners’ lobbying, the government
continues to grant special permission – the Class
Consents – to plough out even scheduled
ancient monuments. Features that persisted for
thousands of years, that place us in our land,
are destroyed in a matter of moments for the sake of crops that nobody wants.

Yet throughout this, the most destructive period
Britain has ever known, the landlords have
continued to portray themselves as the guardians
of the countryside. And we, confused and
outwitted, have believed them. One rambler,
infuriated by the destruction of a flowering
meadow, told me, “But it’s not the landowners,
it’s the farmers.” Like many people in Britain,
she associated the lords of the land with stately
parks. These are, of course, often beautifully
maintained and teeming with wildlife; but they
tend to be 500 acres of pleasant greenery amidst
10,000 laid waste by the same owner’s plough.
Indeed the money that sustains the park comes, as
often as not, from the destruction of its surroundings.

The power of the proprietors extends to our
exclusion from the land. Places which, before
enclosure, belonged to the entire community, are
closed today to all but the owner and his family.
Four per cent of England and Wales is still
registered as commons, but there is a right to
roam over only one fifth of this fragmentary
inheritance. In the rest of the countryside,
where, from time immemorial until the 18th
century, everyone had a right to wander, to play,
to enjoy God’s gifts of wildness and weather, we
are confined to a shrinking network of public
paths, on which we are trespassing the moment we stand still or sit down.

If we wander off those paths we are conscious of
sinning. When caught, we accept the owner’s bogus
arguments about damage to hedges or frightening
game, apologize and leave. Yet this land is ours.
The man who holds the deeds to a stretch of
countryside has no greater moral right to that
land than the man who wishes to visit it.

Our exclusion has several disastrous
consequences. Without a sense of belonging to the
land, and of the land belonging to us, we are the
citizens of nowhere, and our alienation from our
surroundings rebounds in the apprehension that we
no longer belong to ourselves. Without a stake in
the land we feel, moreover, that we have no right
to determine what happens there. Perhaps worst of
all, the model of enclosure which has come to
dominate the countryside now prevails in the
towns. City farms are turned into private car
parks, parks into office blocks, and streets into
shopping malls from which undesirables are
excluded. Our government is a government of
enclosers, whose attitudes emerge from four
centuries of ruthless privatization.

The direct action movement is the most potent
popular force of the 1990s, yet it has one
fundamental and potentially fatal weakness. So
far it has been largely responsive. The
government proposes a road or a bill and the
movement opposes it: the Department of Transport
and the Home Office have set the direct action agenda.

Political change does not take place until the
opponents of government fight for what they’re
for, rather than simply fighting what they’re
against. Nothing of substance will alter until we
tackle the continued enclosure of our land.

Britain and some of its ex-colonies are the only
nations on earth where the concept of trespass is
understood. We must overturn this notion and
assert a right of access to all uncultivated
land, of the sort enshrined in law in Sweden and
taken for granted elsewhere in Europe. We must
reassert our rights to common spaces in towns,
and where necessary wrest them back from the
hands of developers. We must restrain the
destructive power of the lords of the land with
planning laws, so that farmers have to apply to
the community before ploughing a virgin meadow or
building a battery chicken house.

In Brazil, the dispossessed know how to assert
such rights. In some places 10,000 people at a
time have invaded a stretch of land, and the
government, unable to restrain them, has given
them what they want. In September, our government
will publish a Rural White Paper, which will
determine the future development of the
countryside. The idea was announced at the
Conservative Party Conference: not in the main
hall but at the fringe meeting of the Country
Landowner’s Association. The claws were in before
the prey was out of its hole. If this land is to
become a place for all of its people, it is up to us to prise that grip apart.

The first major occupation will take place on
Sunday April 23rd. If you want to take part
please send a stamped addressed envelope or your
email address to: Land Reform, Box E, 111
Magdalen Road, Oxford OX4 1RQ. E-mail: eartharc at gn.apc.org

http://groups.google.com/group/uk-911-truth
http://www.youtube.com/user/PublicEnquiry
www.globalresearch.ca
www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1407615751783.2051663.1274106225&l=90330c0ba5&type=1

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic
poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung

Fear not therefore: for there is nothing covered
that shall not be revealed; and nothing hid that
shall not be made known. What I tell you in
darkness, that speak ye in the light and what ye
hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops. Matthew 10:26-27

Die Pride and Envie; Flesh, take the poor's advice.
Covetousnesse be gon: Come, Truth and Love arise.
Patience take the Crown; throw Anger out of dores:
Cast out Hypocrisie and Lust, which follows whores:
Then England sit in rest; Thy sorrows will have end;
Thy Sons will live in peace, and each will be a friend.
http://tinyurl.com/6ct7zh6