New guidebook helps tech users develop more environmentally friendly practices

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Wed Aug 29 00:53:59 BST 2012

The book is available online for free download by unit or as a whole from
https://www.apc.org/en/pubs/practical-guide-sustainable-it

P.

http://www.apc.org/en/node/15036/

New guidebook helps tech users develop more environmentally friendly
practices

Association for Progressive Communications
Montevideo, Uruguay, Aug 27th 2012

APC has recently published a new guide for the everyday computer user on
how to make more ecological choices when using technology. The Practical
guide to sustainable IT offers a detailed, hands-on introduction to thinking
about sustainable computing holistically; starting with the choices you
make when buying technology, and the software and peripherals you use,
through to how you store and work with information, manage your security,
save power, and maintain and dispose of your old hardware. Suggestions and
advice for policy makers are also included, along with some practical tips
for internet service providers.

Written by IT expert and environmentalist Paul Mobbs, the purpose of the
guide is to encourage ICT-for-development (ICTD) practitioners to begin
using technology in an environmentally sound way. But its usefulness
extends beyond this to everyday consumers of technology, whether in the
home or office environment.

The guide was developed on behalf of the Association for Progressive
Communication (APC), with funding support from the International
Development Research Centre. It forms part of APC’s work on ICTs
environmental sustainability.

“The importance of this book is it’s not just a practical guide — yes, the
‘how to’ details are there —- but what makes this book remarkable is that
Paul has integrated these practical considerations with a broader world-
view on sustainability. It suggests a way of looking at the world beyond
technology, at how we live in it, and what we need to do to lessen the
catastrophic impact we’re having on it,” says APC’s ICTs and environmental
sustainability programme coordinator Alan Finlay:

The guide is divided into 11 units which build thematically on the ones
that have come before. They can be read consecutively, or separately. The
“unit” approach allows the sections to be updated over time, extracted for
use as resource guides in workshops, or shared easily with colleagues and
friends.

“If we’re going to have access to these technologies in the future, without
harming the planet or depleting the resources from which they are
manufactured, we must learn to plan our use of information systems…
minimising their environmental impact,” Mobbs writes in his book. “We can
all play our part, and the practice of sustainable computing will go a long
way in helping to tackle the environmental crisis facing our planet,” he
says.

END

- --

.

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ebo/

Read my 'essay' weblog, "Ecolonomics", at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ecolonomics/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/mobbsey-2011.asc