Government urges clampdown on illegal encampments

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Thu Aug 30 17:03:28 BST 2012

Oh well, there go the real "eco-developments"!

:-(

P.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/general/news/stories/2012/aug12/300812/300812_1

Government urges clampdown on illegal encampments

News and Blog > August 2012

Communities Secretary Eric Pickles has called on councils to clamp down on
illegal encampments and to stop unauthorised traveller sites being set up.

The call came as the Department for Communities and Local Government issued
new guidance which has been sent to all council leaders advising how to act
swiftly.

The guidance sets out the strong powers councils and landowners have to
remove illegal and unauthorised encampments, such as traveller sites,
protest camps and squatter sites from both public and private land.

Councils have seen a number of cases of people setting up unauthorised
encampments at weekends, for example, and using that time to develop land
illegally while council offices are closed.

Setting up camps during a weekend often means that enforcement action
needed to stop actions such as the cutting down of protected trees or the
laying of concrete drives is delayed or too late.

The minister said: "I'm urging all councils to be on the front foot and
ready to take action straightaway to stop illegal camps starting in the
first place.

"Unauthorised development is totally unacceptable at any time but can often
be more upsetting for local established communities when it happens while
council offices are closed and people feel there is no one available to help
them.

"There is never justification for people bypassing the planning rules that
everyone else has to abide by and this guidance makes crystal clear what
powers there are to stop unauthorised development before bigger problems
arise."

He has urged councils to ensure planning officers are ready to take swift
enforcement action and use the tough powers available to tackle rogue
encampments.

The Government has already introduced new rights for travellers who play by
the rules. These include stronger tenancy rights on authorised council
sites and incentives through the New Homes Bonus scheme for councils to
build more authorised sites. The administration is spending £60m on helping
local communities establish properly approved and planned sites and earlier
this year published new planning policy on traveller sites.

Meanwhile, in a related development, 15 families evicted from the
unauthorised Dale Farm site near Basildon in Essex could be given a legal,
permanent home under plans for a new caravan facility in the vicinity
submitted by the Irish Travellers Movement in Britain (ITMB).

Basildon Council has confirmed it has received a planning application for a
derelict site at Gardiner’s Lane South.

#Read the Department for Communities and Local Government news release.
   http://www.communities.gov.uk/news/corporate/2205993

# Access the summary of powers.
    http://www.communities.gov.uk/publications/planningandbuilding/unauthorisedencampments

Roger Milne

.

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ebo/

Read my 'essay' weblog, "Ecolonomics", at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ecolonomics/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/mobbsey-2011.asc