Criminalise squatting in commercial premises, say Tory MPs

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sat Dec 1 23:30:11 GMT 2012

Criminalise squatting in commercial premises, say Tory MPs
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/nov/30/criminalise-squatting-commercial-property
Justice minister urged to extend recent change in
law beyond residential properties to prevent targeting of closed businesses
Owen Bowcott, legal affairs correspondent - The
Guardian, Friday 30 November 2012 16.00 GMT
It could soon be chucking out time at the Black
Bull. The disused inn, around the corner from
Chelsea's football ground in south-west London,
has been occupied by squatters for two weeks. The
landlord wants his property back.
The confrontation comes as Conservative MPs are
pressing for the criminalisation of squatting to
be extended to commercial premises to prevent
abandoned pubs, empty offices and warehouses being targeted.
The demands are an attempt to prevent an influx
of those who fear being driven out of houses and
flats by changes in the law that came into effect on 1 September.
Making the occupation of residential properties
with permission a criminal offence has coincided
with a crisis in the pub trade. An average of 18
pubs a week are closing down. Shifting drinking
patterns, competition from supermarkets and a
rise in beer tax have been blamed.
Abandoned pubs have been selected as squatters
swap sites to avoid risking a criminal record.
Among them have been the Cross Keys in Chelsea,
the Tournament in Earls Court, both in London,
the Upper Bell Inn near Chatham, Kent, and the
Bute Dock Hotel in Cardiff. Bar areas are
classified as commercial, but any upstairs
landlord's flat may be deemed residential.
In the first floor bar of the Old Bull,
Alessandra De Luca, 21, and her boyfriend, David,
26, explained how they are only using the
commercial parts of the pub. Around a dozen young
people, and two dogs, are in residence. On
Fridaythey received a county court summons for eviction.
"We hope to stay here for a few months," said
Alessandra, who is from Italy. "The people here are homeless.
"We survive by doing a lot of 'skipping' -
finding food thrown out by supermarkets. We are
looking for work." The Ministry of Justice says
it is considering whether to criminalise the
squatting of commercial properties.
The justice minister, Damian Green, said: "The
[new] offence covers squatting in residential
buildings because that is what the public were
most concerned about. We recognise that squatting
can also have a serious impact on commercial
property owners and we will continue to monitor this situation closely."
Tory MP Mike Weatherley, who represents Hove and
Portslade in East Sussex, has met the justice
secretary, Chris Grayling, to press him on the matter.
"Of the pubs targeted that I have spoken to, the
owners want to bring them back into use. I have
spoken to a lot of squatters, too.
"One suggested that where people know a building
is going to be empty for some time, it should be
used as a temporary accommodation for the
homeless. I would certainly put that forward to government."
But most squatting, he said, was not about
homelessness, as it was carried out by "web-savvy
and educated" young people. Guidance provided to
the police already warned they should be careful
charging people if "there are genuinely homeless people involved".
The MP's views are not popular. In mid-November,
when he turned up at Sussex University to debate
with students about squatting laws, he was
attacked and had to be driven to safety in a police van.
The Conservative MP for Chatham and Aylesford,
Tracey Crouch, became involved in the campaign to
extend criminalisation after a local pub, the
Upper Bell Inn, was squatted. "When [residential
squatting] was being debated, it was said that
50% of squatters were in commercial properties.
That seems to be increasing," she said.
"Owners of warehouses and commercial enterprises
come to me to say they are spending hundreds of
thousands of pounds clearing squatters. I have
written to the justice secretary calling for
squatting in commercial property to be a criminal offence."
She added: "There are people from wealthy or
middle-class families who are squatting through
ideological reasons. It's not fair to suggest
that everyone who squats is homeless."
Under section 144 of the Legal Aid, Sentencing
and Punishment of Offenders Act 2012, squatting
in residential homes in England and Wales is
punishable by up to six months' jail and fines of up to £5,000.
Shortly after the law came into effect, Alex
Haigh, originally from Plymouth, was arrested at
a flat in Pimlico, central London. The
21-year-old, who was sentenced to 12 weeks in
prison, became the first person to be jailed
under the anti-squatting legislation. Homeless
charities say there is no evidence so far the new
law has led to a rise in rough sleeping. There
are estimated to be around 20,000 people in squats.
In Cardiff, a group calling themselves the
Gremlins, wearing black masks, have taken over
the Bute Dock Hotel, another abandoned pub. South
Wales police, whose officers have been to the
building, confirmed that no offence has been
committed because it is a commercial building.
Catherine Brogan, of the squatters' rights
campaign group Squash, says: "There are so many
other things [the government] should be worrying
about, rather than criminalising homeless people."
T-wit: @TonyGosling
http://groups.google.com/group/uk-911-truth
http://www.youtube.com/user/PublicEnquiry
www.globalresearch.ca
www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1407615751783.2051663.1274106225&l=90330c0ba5&type=1

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic
poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung

Fear not therefore: for there is nothing covered
that shall not be revealed; and nothing hid that
shall not be made known. What I tell you in
darkness, that speak ye in the light and what ye
hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops. Matthew 10:26-27

Die Pride and Envie; Flesh, take the poor's advice.
Covetousnesse be gon: Come, Truth and Love arise.
Patience take the Crown; throw Anger out of dores:
Cast out Hypocrisie and Lust, which follows whores:
Then England sit in rest; Thy sorrows will have end;
Thy Sons will live in peace, and each will be a friend.
http://tinyurl.com/6ct7zh6