TLIO: re-foundation, money, and ethics-Dave Bang's post.

david bangs dave.bangs at virgin.net
Wed Dec 5 09:12:55 GMT 2012

I expected an outburst such as this from Gill.

I will make some of the necessary corrections, at this stage.

I did not "bludgeon my way into the chair". I proposed myself as chair, and,
after discussion (and early dissent from Gill - and perhaps Simon ?) was
finally elected to the chair by consensus.

I did, of course, explain that I would intervene in the debate...in the
manner in which a chair does...by asking that someone (Mark B) take over the
chair from me whilst I spoke.

I made a long and passionate intervention at the end of the first half of
the meeting (and talked about TLIO's money and ethics in that intervention),
and, as a result, Gill and Simon proposed, after the break, that I be asked
to stand down, as I was too emotionally close to the issues (paraphrase). I
asked for a vote, and only two (I think) voted for me to continue as chair.
I therefore stood down for the meeting's second half and Joyce took over as
chair.

I remember no cheer for the core group's disposal of funds. There was no
Finance or Treasurer's Report on the agenda Mark presented to us for the
meeting, and there was no ordered discussion of the issue. There was no vote
on the issue, or proposal for one. I have never seen a balance sheet or
formal finance report vis a vis TLIO's finances and therefore have only a
cobbled-together sense of what has gone on.

The successor leadership of TLIO have got to do better than that.

I used the non-payment of the Defend Council Housing £50 affiliation fee by
the core group (after it had been agreed by acclaim at the first of the two
Gathering plenaries in October 2011) only as a fine illustration of the lack
of wider accountability of the core group. I did not "wait 14 months to ask
for it"...Indeed, I  have asked for it to be paid repeatedly over the past
13 months, both privately to Mark, as Treasurer, and on the TLIO and
Diggers350 lists. It is a measure of Gill's politics that she did not
remember that request.

...And I made a special point of thanking Simon for his donation of the DCH
affiliation fee at the meeting when it re-convened after its break. It was a
very kind gesture by him.

Dave Bangs

P.S.  FASHION ITEM - my  trousers were an unwashed  pair of cotton slacks
that rode way above my ankles...I am glad they still passed muster...