Country Standard Charter

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Wed Dec 5 20:08:54 GMT 2012

Just came a cross a real life leaflet on this
Seems to be put together by Communist Party
people, they are saying, join a political party
to try and get people engaged in local politics behind these aims.
Charter looks constructive and sensible, the sort
of thing likely to bring like minded people together.
Tony

Country Standard Charter
http://country-standard.blogspot.co.uk/
1. Work to convene a rural convention, involving
communities, councils, unions and rural focussed
organisations such as Woodcraft, Ramblers and the
CPRE to develop a vision for rural living.
2. Create a ‘Rebuild Rural Britain bank working
with the Coop bank and credit unions - to supply
funds to councils and those creating jobs and
services through coops in rural areas.
3. Turn DEFRA into a ministry for the promotion
and organization of quality rural living and
employment, with a focus on environment.
4. DEFRA should coordinate an emergency programme
of job creation aimed at youth.
5. DEFRA to work with Departments for Transport
and Employment, to establish public rural bus services.
6. Yes to a legally enforcable living wage for
every rural worker - support for an Agricultural Wages Board.
7. Councils to be allowed to raise funds to build
and provide affordable rural housing to rent and buy.
8. Promote coops as a model for small farms,
animal and crop production, construction, food
processing, rural tourism and retailing. Coops to
be given preference in the allocation of council contracts.
9. Access for all to high-speed rural broadband.
10. Provide proper resourcing for the Gangmasters
Licensing Authority to enforce the law against cowboy employers.
11. Support the development of allotments, and
urban gardens and food production.
12. Re establish national sovereignty over
decision making in farming, fishing and rural affairs.
13. Extend greater decision making in rural
affairs to the Scottish Parliament and Wales
Assembly. Support the establishment of a parliament for Cornwall.

Why fighting County elections is crucial By Grace Brookman and Phil Katz UNITE
Growing anger in rural communities against the
ConDem coalition government throws a challenge to
the Left to reengage with rural communities and
to prove that it is capable of offering
leadership and hope. The Country Standard will play a key part in the process.
For many Labour and progressives living in rural
areas the Coalition Government’s vicious
onslaught will have come as little or no surprise.
However, many rural Tory voters will have been
doubly shocked. First, at their Government’s
willingness to inflict cuts which have disproportionately affected rural areas.
Second, at the lack of effectiveness of the vast
majority of Conservative members of parliament
and councillors. Each has systematically failed
to speak up for their constituents.
Liberal Democrat voters are reeling from one
broken election pledge after another. In some
shires, Liberal Democrats saw themselves as a
genuine opposition to Conservative indifference
and dictat. Indeed, in recent elections, many
Labour voters have voted Lib Dem in rural areas
to try to keep the Tories out. At Country
Standard we believe this no longer is an option.
It was swept away in an orange counterrevolution,
which saw the Lib Dems hitched to the slash and burn Tory wagon.

Tories breaking AWB
The one ministry passed over by the Liberal
Democrats and therefore run totally by
Conservative ministers is DEFRA the ministry
dealing with rural affairs. Liberals who once
championed minimum wage setting through the
Agricultural Wages Board are saddled with backing
a Tory attempt to break up the AWB and across the
board reduce protective legislation for rural
workers and services for rural communities.
That’s a reason why many who in the past voted
Lib Dem will now vote Labour in the all important
County Council elections next year.
The elections are important for a number of
reasons. So important that the Country Standard
Editorial Collective decided to make it a major
theme for this issue. The Conservatives want to
do more than cut housing, public services and jobs.
They want to cut the very means of delivering
public services in rural communities – the
councils themselves. That is why the CS calls on
all progressive forces; Labour, Green, Communists
and those Liberal Democrats disgusted at their
own party’s performance, to campaign and take as
many seats as possible. In this way the people
will be better protected from the Government and
the ruling class strategy can be frustrated.
In these elections the open fascist vote will
collapse. And it will be a much-reduced force at
the 2014 election to the Euro parliament. But
this vote, much of it cast by ordinary working
people will go somewhere and there is the danger
that the probanker UKIP peddling its fantastical
myths about migrant workers might fill the void.
UKIP oppose the Common Agricultural Policy and
the Common Fisheries Policy. But are they against
austerity? In this issue on page 6, CS – for the
first time on the left – start to analyse what UKIP really stand for.
Today, 1 in 6 rural inhabitants live in poverty.
On average rural workers are paid £4,000 a year
less than their work colleagues in urban towns
and cities. The Agricultural Wages Board which
sets the rate of pay for agricultural workers and
benchmarks for other rural jobs is threatened
with abolition. Affordable housing is all but
nonexistent, fuel poverty is endemic and the
necessity to have a car means high petrol/diesel
prices have a devastating impact on the lives and
environment in rural communities. There is in
some areas, a collapse of bus and postal
services. Youth unemployment may not be on the
catastrophic scale of Spain or Greece, Italy or
Portugal, but it is surely bad enough for Britain.

Gather all the forces
Step forward the tens of thousands of community
and environmental activists, trade union
representatives, pensioner campaigners and
political activists who keep our rural
communities ticking. We need to gather all the
forces – even those active at the base of the
Countryside Alliance, which once promised to
represent rural people but was hijacked at the
top by the class force that has wreaked havoc in our rural areas.
How much stronger would this force be if it could
link-up with strong honest voices found in local
parish council meetings, in the columns of local
newspapers and on community radio, with diverse
faith, women and youth groups. If you read our
feature on rural broadband (page 8) some might
even be encouraged to use social networks.
We cannot just fight against the cuts – we need
to offer vision and support to rural communities.
Councillors could start by supporting the
principle of offering small or matching “Bread &
Roses” Grants to local villages and towns to help
organise community cultural events from painting
and writing to food production. It could include
the funding of a new pitch, or kit for the village football or rugby team.
Clear issues run through rural deprivation. But
to be against what the government do is not
enough. The Country Standard has had a
progressive vision for rural Britain that has run
like a thread of steel through its pages since it
first appeared in 1935. There have been good and
bad times, war and peace covered in our pages.
Our CS activists became standard bearers of rural
and food trade unionism. There has been days of
hope too. It is tempting to think that, with a
severe economic crisis and cuts everywhere, now
is not the time to advance a set of affirmative
and progress demands. We do not agree. We urge
you to read our Charter on page 3.
So we throw our hat into the ring yet again. The
Charter is not prescriptive, how can it be in
such a culturally and politically diverse set of
communities. Rather we hope the Charter will
enthuse the young and embolden the veterans,
influence political party policy and give shape
even to the voting preferences of independent
councillors. If you are not yet in a union or
political party we ask you to consider joining
one. Do not hold back, put yourself forward for
local office. Rural communities need to survive
and thrive – you can play your part to make this
happen. We hope you sign up to the Charter in
total. If you do not, do not recede in to
inactivity, take the bits of it you agree with and start campaigning!
Twitter: @TonyGosling http://twitter.com/tonygosling
http://groups.google.com/group/uk-911-truth
http://www.youtube.com/user/PublicEnquiry
www.globalresearch.ca
www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1407615751783.2051663.1274106225&l=90330c0ba5&type=1

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic
poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung

Fear not therefore: for there is nothing covered
that shall not be revealed; and nothing hid that
shall not be made known. What I tell you in
darkness, that speak ye in the light and what ye
hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops. Matthew 10:26-27

Die Pride and Envie; Flesh, take the poor's advice.
Covetousnesse be gon: Come, Truth and Love arise.
Patience take the Crown; throw Anger out of dores:
Cast out Hypocrisie and Lust, which follows whores:
Then England sit in rest; Thy sorrows will have end;
Thy Sons will live in peace, and each will be a friend.
http://tinyurl.com/6ct7zh6