VIDEO: Last night's ITV squatting documentary

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Fri Dec 7 13:05:30 GMT 2012

Madeley Meets the Squatters (extract)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXd_mobk-Po

Thursday 6th December 9:00pm Duration: 46 minutes
WATCH THE FULL FILM HERE http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?Filter=328531
Fascinating documentary in which Richard Madeley enters the world of
the squatter to try to discover the truth behind the headlines. Do
they deserve their negative press?
And yet, like a goodly proportion of the nation, I have always rather
liked Madeley, and the encounter was at least intriguing. He can
out-Partridge Alan for bons mots, sure, but there's a lack of
cynicism about his goofiness that is refreshing and rather charming
in ways that are not always immediately explicable. Besides, anyone
who can ask Sophie Ellis-Bextor, as he is reported to have done,
"Where did you get your face?", would surely not balk at challenging
a squatter over, well, why they chose to live like that.
To his credit, he didn't hold back. The first stop was a derelict pub
in Walthamstow in east London. "Ooh. Ripe. Ripe, ripe. This is worse
than I expected," noted Richard after pushing his way in uninvited,
though he did at least consider that the Lithuanian sleeping under a
blanket in the corner might not appreciate their presence. "Are we OK
doing this? It's their space." The Lithuanian, it turned out, wasn't
OK with it, and they beat a hasty retreat.
During the course of what he called "one of the more interesting
summers of my career", Richard met plenty of those with a view.
Tristan, who called himself an "urban womble" and lived in a large
Bristol block, promised Dave, the exasperated owner: "We're looking
after your building. And that's a promise." A woman with learning
difficulties told how the housing association flat she had been
assigned had been occupied by a squatter on the day she was due to
move in, leaving her homeless. Mike Weatherley, the MP who
successfully campaigned to have squatting residential properties made
a criminal offence, thought squatters weren't demonised enough.
The film won't have changed many minds -- "Do you want to carry on
with this? Is there any point?" asked Dave of his debate with Tristan
-- but for Richard at least, squatting was made less inexplicable and
disgusting. "You can't label squatting simply," was his conclusion --
a banal discovery perhaps, but in its own small way, rather bold.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2012/dec/06/madeley-meets-the-squatters-jamie

Twitter: @TonyGosling http://twitter.com/tonygosling
http://groups.google.com/group/uk-911-truth
http://www.youtube.com/user/PublicEnquiry
www.globalresearch.ca
www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1407615751783.2051663.1274106225&l=90330c0ba5&type=1

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic poison which
alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung

Fear not therefore: for there is nothing covered that shall not be
revealed; and nothing hid that shall not be made known. What I tell
you in darkness, that speak ye in the light and what ye hear in the
ear, that preach ye upon the housetops. Matthew 10:26-27

Die Pride and Envie; Flesh, take the poor's advice.
Covetousnesse be gon: Come, Truth and Love arise.
Patience take the Crown; throw Anger out of dores:
Cast out Hypocrisie and Lust, which follows whores:
Then England sit in rest; Thy sorrows will have end;
Thy Sons will live in peace, and each will be a friend.
http://tinyurl.com/6ct7zh6