Tory plan to concrete our fields. - Daily Mail

Harry Beckhough tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Tue Dec 11 11:43:53 GMT 2012

To: AA BOB LOMAS <<mailto:earlgrey at talktalk.net>earlgrey at talktalk.net>

What is the point of a Conservative Party if it's
planning to concrete our fields?

By
<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/columnists/columnist-244/Stephen-Glover.html>Stephen
Glover
PUBLISHED:Â 23:16, 28 November 2012

The Conservative Party was once the party of the
countryside. It remained so to a surprisingly
large degree even when it began to draw much of
its support from the growing suburbs. No longer.
It has officially become the anti-countryside party.
First we had David Cameron and the Tory front
bench encouraging grotesque wind turbines, an
expensive and inefficient way of generating
electricity. These monsters in turn necessitate
miles of unsightly new pylons which desecrate
large parts of the English (and Welsh and Scottish) countryside.
Now we have a planning minister who wants to
concrete over more swathes of England. Nick Boles
says we need to increase the amount of greenfield
land built on in England by one third to
accommodate new houses. This amounts to more than
1,500 square miles, or twice the area of Greater London.

Expensive: David Cameron and the Tory front bench have encourag

Expensive: David Cameron and the Tory front bench
have encouraged wind farms in the past

In an interview due to be aired on BBC2’s
Newsnight last night, he opined that developed
land should rise from  9 per cent to around 12
per cent of England. The alternative is that
‘kids are never going to get a place with a
garden to bring up their grandkids’. That’s supposed to frighten us.
Mr Boles relishes giving the pot a good old stir.
When appointed to his present job two months ago,
he described countryside campaigners who are
against the development of the green belt as
‘hysterical, scaremongering latter-day
Luddites’. Doesn’t he sound a reasonable and moderate chap?

What is the point of the Conservative Party if
not to conserve the ancient things that are
precious to most citizens? It is not just the
‘nimbies’ decried by Mr Boles who care. In
city, suburb and village there is a shared love
of our countryside, a widespread feeling that
what survives of it constitutes one of our few remaining glories.
In other words, the fields, streams and copses of
England in some way belong to all of us. We own a
personal emotional stake. Although every single
blade of grass obviously can’t be defended, a
Tory minister championing the destruction of the
countryside has embarked on an electoral kamikaze mission.

'Safe for now': Two months ago Nick Boles, planning min

'Safe for now': Two months ago Nick Boles,
planning minister, said that the green belt was in danger

The wonder of it all is that it is not even
necessary. No one questions that as a result of a
soaring population, largely fuelled by
uncontrolled immigration over recent years, we
face a serious housing shortage. Fewer new houses
are being built than at any time since the Twenties.
As a result of the recession, in 2011 only
115,000 homes were given planning permission in
England, compared with 212,000 in 2007 at the
height of the boom. When, or if, the economy
eventually recovers, house building will begin to rise again.
But there is no reason why the countryside should
have to be bulldozed in the process. According to
official estimates, there is suitable so-called
‘brownfield’ land available for 1.5 million
new homes. Some 400,000 of them could be built in
London, where the pressure for new housing is greatest.
Anyone who travels by rail into one of our great
cities will see boundless empty acres colonised
only by weeds and piles of rubbish. Why are these
not developed first? Network Rail, or whoever the
owners may be, should be incentivised, and if
need be forced, to sell unused land.
Admittedly, it is often easier and cheaper for
developers to move into virgin territory. I hope
that the Tory front bench’s enthusiasm for
‘greenfield’ development is not influenced by
avaricious developers who also happen to be bankrolling the party.
Nor should we forget that there are an estimated
three-quarters-of-a-million unoccupied dwellings
in the United Kingdom. Wouldn’t it be sensible
to make use of as many of these as possible
before carpeting fields with new houses? Why not
tax homes which remain unoccupied for a long
time, as well as unused building land?
There are, in fact, many alternatives to
destroying more of England’s green and pleasant
land, and I am baffled that Mr Boles, apparently
supported by David Cameron and George Osborne,
should be ignoring them. I repeat: what’s the
point of a Conservative Party that hasn’t any feeling for the countryside?
I don’t want to delve too deeply, but I can’t
help wondering whether Mr Boles’s peculiar
fervour may not be influenced by some personal
psycho-drama. His father, Sir Jack, was head of
the pro-countryside National Trust between 1975
and 1983, and the young Nick grew up in a series of idyllic rural locations.
Might he not be simply rebelling against his
background? Whatever the explanation, there is
neither cause nor justification for increasing
the amount of land built on by a whopping third.
And you can be sure that, if Mr Boles and the
developers get their way, most of these new
houses will be in the South-East of England, one
of the most densely populated parts of Europe,
where significantly more than nine per cent of
land is already given over to building.
If there has to be new development, it would
surely make sense for it to take place in those
parts of the country where there is much more
space, and the economy stands in most need of
growth. London and the South-East are bulging at the seams.
One way of attracting more people to the less
populated regions of England would be to
introduce the much talked of, but so far
undelivered, local wage bargaining in the public
sector. Companies would be more likely to move
into these areas if pay rates were more competitive.
Of course, the pressure for new houses will only
get worse unless net immigration is brought under
control. Though very slightly reduced under the
Coalition, the level is still running at more
than 200,000 a year, rather than the ‘tens of
thousands’ Mr Cameron promised.
According to the think-tank MigrationWatch, some
200 houses a day — 73,000 a year — are needed as
a result of immigration. Official figures suggest
that 36 per cent of new households over the next
25 years will spring from the same cause.

Concern: People from town and country are worried about proposa

Concern: People from town and country are worried
about proposals as they want to safeguard the country's heritage.

The short-sightedness of ministers in the last
Labour government in throwing open our borders
has served to exacerbate housing problems with
which this country can barely cope: the
population of Britain is projected to grow by an
amazing 17 million to 80 million in 2050.

I fear that many of the fields and woods of
England will inevitably be destroyed, but the
damage can still be kept to a minimum if
brownfield sites are utilised, and unoccupied homes are pressed into use.

What is so objectionable about Nick Boles is his
tone almost of exultancy. An expression of regret
about these pressures on our countryside would be
in order —” as well as a pledge to do whatever
can be done to resist greenfield development, and
defend the integrity of our precious land.

Most of us are not nimbies worrying about our own
backyard. We’re people from town and country
who want to safeguard our heritage.

It is astonishing and depressing that most of the
Tory front bench would seem to be on the wrong side in this struggle.

Read more:
<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2240053/What-point-Conservative-Party-planning-concrete-fields.html#ixzz2DakbdjiJ>http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2240053/What-point-Conservative-Party-planning-concrete-fields.html#ixzz2DakbdjiJ

Follow us:
<http://ec.tynt.com/b/rw?id=bBOTTqvd0r3Pooab7jrHcU&u=MailOnline>@MailOnline
on Twitter |
<http://ec.tynt.com/b/rf?id=bBOTTqvd0r3Pooab7jrHcU&u=DailyMail>DailyMail