£1 million bid to save Forest of Dean Wilderness Centre

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sat Feb 25 12:28:55 GMT 2012

£1 million bid to save Wilderness Centre
Friday, February 17, 2012
http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/pound-1-million-bid-save-Wilderness-Centre/story-15254503-detail/story.html

CHILDREN spelled out 'Save the Wilderness' in
giant letters to mark the launch of a £1million plea.
Friends of the Wilderness Centre launched their
public appeal yesterday to raise the colossal sum
and buy the closed outdoor education centre near Mitcheldean.

 From left; Trevor Roach, Martin Bragg, Stephanie Boocock and Brian Bennett
It was shut by Gloucestershire County Council in
August because it simply could no longer afford to invest in it.
The Friends, backed by the likes of Baroness Jan
Royall of Blaisdon, have been given a first
refusal agreement by the council, provided they
can stump up the cash by the end of March.
They plan to reinstate the centre as one of the
country's leading outdoor classrooms.
Trevor Roach, who is leading the bid, said the
cash should be enough to buy the centre and pay for vital refurbishments.
"We've been negotiating with the council since
before Christmas, initially we hoped they could
lease it to us but they weren't prepared to do that," he said.
"The decision to sell the centre shocked a lot of
people and we want to keep it open.
"Young people now are increasingly worried about
the environment but there are less and less
centres like this where they are able to learn about it."
He added: "We have been given until the end of
the financial year to present our bid to the council.
"We've taken all the obvious routes of applying
for grants, approaching corporations, trust funds
etc. But we want it to be for the community and
owned, in part, by the community.
"That's why we're asking the public for their pledges.
"Small pledges are very welcome but we also know
there will be a lot of people out there with very
fond memories of trips to the Wilderness Centre
who maybe can help us in a larger fashion too."
The Friends are only looking for pledges of
support at the moment, which will be called in if
the council accepts their bid.
Andrew McCartney, programme director at the
county council, said: "We're continuing talks
with the Friends of the Wilderness Centre group over the future of this site.
"We know they are keen to take over the centre
and we are awaiting their business plan, which we
will consider carefully before making any decisions."
The site is currently occupied by another group,
activists called Protect the Wilderness.
They have been told to leave the site by the
council but say they will only do so if the Friends' bid is successful.
Pledge your support to the effort at www.friendsofthewildernesscentre.org
http://groups.google.com/group/uk-911-truth
http://www.youtube.com/user/PublicEnquiry
<http://www.elementary.org.uk>www.elementary.org.uk
www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1407615751783.2051663.1274106225&l=90330c0ba5&type=1

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic
poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung

Fear not therefore: for there is nothing covered
that shall not be revealed; and nothing hid that
shall not be made known. What I tell you in
darkness, that speak ye in the light and what ye
hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops. Matthew 10:26-27

Die Pride and Envie; Flesh, take the poor's advice.
Covetousnesse be gon: Come, Truth and Love arise.
Patience take the Crown; throw Anger out of dores:
Cast out Hypocrisie and Lust, which follows whores:
Then England sit in rest; Thy sorrows will have end;
Thy Sons will live in peace, and each will be a friend.
http://tinyurl.com/6ct7zh6