Willie Nelson - Why We Must Occupy Our Food Supply

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sat Feb 25 23:00:46 GMT 2012

"Our food is under threat. It is felt by every
family farmer who has lost their land and
livelihood, every parent who can't find
affordable or healthy ingredients in their
neighborhood, every person worried about
foodborne illnesses thanks to lobbyist-weakened
food safety laws, every farmworker who faces
toxic pesticides in the fields as part of a day's work."

Willie Nelson | Why We Must Occupy Our Food Supply
Posted by Vincent L. Guarisco on February 24, 2012 at 2:19pm
http://12160.info/profiles/blogs/willie-nelson-why-we-must-occupy-our-food-supply

Emacs!

Willie Nelson performs in North Carolina, 06/16/11. (photo: Getty Images)

Why We Must Occupy Our Food Supply

By Willie Nelson and Anna Lappe, Reader Supported News

24 February 12

  Our food is under threat. It is felt by every
family farmer who has lost their land and
livelihood, every parent who can't find
affordable or healthy ingredients in their
neighborhood, every person worried about
foodborne illnesses thanks to lobbyist-weakened
food safety laws, every farmworker who faces
toxic pesticides in the fields as part of a day's work.

When our food is at risk we are all at risk.

Over the last thirty years, we have witnessed a
massive consolidation of our food system. Never
have so few corporations been responsible for
more of our food chain. Of the 40,000 food items
in a typical U.S. grocery store, more than half
are now brought to us by just 10 corporations.
Today, three companies process more than 70
percent of all U.S. beef, Tyson, Cargill and JBS.
More than 90 percent of soybean seeds and 80
percent of corn seeds used in the United States
are sold by just one company: Monsanto. Four
companies are responsible for up to 90 percent of
the global trade in grain. And one in four food dollars is spent at Walmart.

What does this matter for those of us who eat?
Corporate control of our food system has led to
the loss of millions of family farmers, the
destruction of soil fertility, the pollution of
our water, and health epidemics including type 2
diabetes, heart disease, and even certain forms
of cancer. More and more, the choices that
determine the food on our shelves are made by
corporations concerned less with protecting our
health, our environment, or our jobs than with
profit margins and executive bonuses.

This consolidation also fuels the influence of
concentrated economic power in politics: Last
year alone, the biggest food companies spent tens
of millions lobbying on Capitol Hill with more
than $37 million used in the fight against junk
food marketing guidelines for kids.

On a global scale, the consolidation of our food
system has meant devastation for farmers, forests
and the climate. Take the controversial food
additive palm oil. In the past decade, palm oil
has become the most widely traded vegetable oil
in the world and is now found in half of all
packaged goods on U.S. grocery store shelves. But
the large-scale production of palm oil - driven
by agribusiness demand for the relatively cheap
ingredient - has come at a cost: palm oil
plantations in Indonesia and Malaysia are razing
rainforests, releasing massive quantities of
greenhouse gases and displacing Indigenous communities.

 From the global to the local, nothing is more
personal than this threat to our food. And
nothing more inspiring than the movement that is
fighting back. On Monday February 27, tens of
thousands of people - including farmers and food
workers, parents and students, urban gardeners
and chefs - will participate in a Global Day of
Action to Occupy our Food Supply.

Occupy our Food Supply is a day to both resist
Big Food and highlight sustainable solutions that
work for all of us. On February 27, more than
60Occupy groups as well as environmental and
corporate accountability organizations are
joining together. From Brazil, Hungary, Ireland,
Argentina, the United States and beyond, people
will be reclaiming unused bank-owned lots to
create community gardens; hosting seed exchanges
in front of stock exchanges; labeling products on
grocery store shelves that contain genetically
engineered ingredients; building community
alliances to support locally owned grocery stores
and resist Walmart megastores; and fighting back
against industrial giants Monsanto and Cargill.

The call to Occupy our Food Supply, facilitated
by Rainforest Action Network, is being echoed by
prominent thought leaders, authors, farmers and
activists including the Indian environmentalist
Vandana Shiva, Food Inc.'s Robert Kenner, and
authors Michael Pollan, Raj Patel, Gary Paul
Nabhan, and Marion Nestle, among others.

As Michael Ableman, farmer, author, and founder
of the Center for Urban Agriculture puts it: "We
need to focus on what we are for as much as what
we are against; occupying our land, our soils
with life and fertility, our communities with
good food. We need to work to rebuild the real
economy, the one based on seeds and sunlight and
individuals and communities growing together."

If you eat food, grow food, love food, join us to Occupy our Food Supply.

Anna Lappé is author of Diet for a Hot Planet:
The Climate Crisis at the End of Your Fork
(Bloomsbury USA) and a board member of Rainforest
Action Network. Willie Nelson is founder and president of Farm Aid.