Dale Farm update/Traveller Solidarity Network Bulletin

mark at tlio.org.uk mark at tlio.org.uk
Sat Jan 21 13:26:56 GMT 2012

Update from Dale Farm

Hundreds of Dale Farm residents are encamped along the sides of the
private road leading into the estate. They have been there since the
police-led clearance operation last October. But now they are working
to get back their old homes.

Most of those homes are out of reach behind huge mounds of earth and
trenches, left there by Basildon Borough Council to obstruct any
attempt at repossession. The policy of ethnic-cleansing has so far
cost millions of pounds. The Council boasts it has another two million
to waste on further harassment of "unauthorized" Gypsy and Traveller
communities in the district.

On Beauty Drive, three properties with residential planning permission
could be re-occupied. What has prevented this is the malicious
destruction of the road and right of way, and the trenching of
hard-standing needed for the caravans. Cess-tanks have been broken,
and water and electricity supplies ruptured.

Much of the eviction clearance has been declared illegal, leading to a
mounting number of compensation claims against Basildon. In addition,
the police face personal injury and other claims due to their use of
50,000-volt Taser stun -guns and other high-handed action employed to
quell resistance.

In coming weeks a test-case planning apppeal will be heard for 27
Beauty Drive, home of widow Mary Flynn. During February she also
expects a hearing in the High Court that will determine whether nearly
40 families who turned down houses and council flats should be
provided culturally appropriate caravan pitches instead.

Mary's appeal would be helped by supporters and residents of Dale Farm
sending letters supporting her appeal. So the Traveller Solidarity
Network is calling for supporters to write letters.

Information which should go in your letter

Plot 45, Dale Farm
APP/V1505/A/11/2163607 Dale Farm

The retention of a change in use of the land to a residential Gypsy /
Traveller caravan site including the retention of hard standings,
fences, and the siting of a portable structure on the land to be used
as a utility facility.

I wish to support the appeal of the Dale Farm Residents Association in
relation to the above.
(additional points below)

Name

State whether or not you a statutory party..

I authorise Grattan Puxon, Secretary of Dale Farm Resident's
Association, to represent my interests at the inquiry.

Yours faithfully,

===

send your letter by email to:

appeals at ..., planning at ...,
tony.ball at ..., enquiries at ...
and bcc: ycx26 at ..., dalefarmbackoffice at ... (so
that we
can track responses.)

=====

Information about the appeal:

The planning application was submitted in August 2011, and was
considered by The Development Control and Traffic Management Committee
on 18th October 2011. A decision notice was issued on 19th October
2011 refusing permission.

===

Reasons for refusal of planning permission:

Guidance in national planning policy PPG2 – allows for exception to
be made where it can be shown there are very special circumstances.
The council does not allow that the personal circumstances of the
applicant are sufficient to justify this. They refer to the previous
decisions of the Secretary of State.

In addition they refer to their own policy BAS BE12 which prohibits
development "materially harmful to the character of the surrounding
area which has a dominating appearance within the landscape and
creates traffic congestion impinging on highway safety" and concludes
that this application be refused because of harm to the visual amenity
of the area and openness of the greenbelt.

===

Additional points/arguments which could be used against BDC's reasons
for refusal:

1) That the decision of the Development Control and Traffic Management
Committee on about 18th October 2011 was not correctly informed:

a) they were not told that the Council had been found by the High
Court to have overenforced notices and had to pay costs because of
this

b) they were not told that the Council intended to overenforce more
notices in the eviction the next day – some of which were issued
without authority

c) the previous decision of the Secretary of State should not be taken
into account because this was not informed by the previous points
&
d) that both the Development Control and Traffic Management Committee
and the Secretary of State were misled by the council who said that
there had been many road traffic accidents in the area when in fact
the police have confirmed that from 01 June 2000 to date there has
been only one recorded accident. The amount of traffic likely to be
generated by Mrs Flynn and her family amounts at most to two or three
vehicles.

2) That the Council used its own planning regulations inappropriately
and inconsistently

a) the Council wrongly stated that the reason for its decision was
preserving the openness of the greenbelt; this was a former scrapyard
and has not in the past 50 years been a greenfield site and the
actions of the council in constructing bunding after the eviction
causes more loss of visual amenity than the traveller site ever did.

b) the Council needed planning permission to construct these bunds on
greenbelt land but failed to apply for it

c) the Council has made exceptions to development on greenbelt land in
the area in other recent cases and should do so in this case. (Eg: On
29th November 2011 the Development Control & Traffic Management
Committee granted conditional planning permission to 11/00433/Full for
a Dog Re-homing Centre with associated hardstanding and 2 staff houses
to be developed on 13 acres of Green Belt land in Wickford.)

3) That there are special circumstances which should be given more
weight in considering this appeal:

a) The material harm caused to Mrs. Flynn and her family by evicting
them on to the road would be disproportionate. Mrs. Flynn is a widow
and does not drive. Her grandchildren still suffer nightmares since
the eviction and she is in ill-health. She uses a nebuliser for
breathing difficulties. She needs care from her community which is
supplied by friends and family at Dale Farm. It is the duty of the
council to protect these vulnerable people. They are Basildon
residents and many of the children were born in the area.

b) There is a need for about 150 additional pitches in the area. The
Council has admitted that there is a need for more legal pitches in
the area but has failed to provide these. In addition, it had rejected
guidance by the Secretary of State, including a statement from Deputy
Prime Minister John Prescott that a site at Terminus Road, Pitsea,
would be suitable. This site was later the subject of a planning
application by the DFHA, rejected by the Council. Land in Laindon
offered by the Homes
and Communities Agency (along with a budget for its development) was
also turned down by the Council. The Council have said that a Gypsy
and Traveller site Development Plan Document will be published by
winter 2014 - this is far too late given the pressing need of many
homeless families of travellers in the area.

c) Those that have applied to the Council for help with homelessness
have been offered either nothing at all or brick and mortar
accommodation. This is against all current advice that this is an
inappropriate offer for Gypsy and Traveller families. (The concept of
"cultural aversion to conventional housing" first appeared in a
planning case, Clarke v Secretary of State for the Environment,
Transport and the Regions in 2003 - Burton J concluded that, if a
cultural aversion to conventional housing
was established, such an offer would be unsuitable "just as would be
the offer of a rat-infested barn".)

d) Gypsies and Travellers are believed to experience the worst health
and education status of any disadvantaged group in England. The lack
of sites restricts access to many health, education and welfare
services. This not only affects their general well-being, but means
that many Gypsies and Travellers are not sufficiently integrated into
settled communities,
helping to further reinforce stereotypical views that these groups
"don't fit in". The life expectancy of a traveller is 12 years less
than a person from the settled community. Child mortality rates are
almost three times higher amongst the travelling community.

e) The Council has a duty to protect the human rights of travellers
who are a recognised ethnic minority. The rights of children
(including Mrs. Flynn's grandchildren) should carry primary weight in
any decision according to the guidance of both the UN and The European
Union.
(Article 24 of the European Union's charter of Fundamental Rights: IN
ALL ACTIONS RELATING TO CHILDREN, WHETHER BY PUBLIC AUTHORITIES OR
PRIVATE INSTITUTIONS, THE CHILD'S BEST INTERESTS MUST BE A PRIMARY
CONSIDERATION)