Just out: Land Grabbers:The New Fight Over Who Owns the Earth

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sat Jul 7 02:36:11 BST 2012

The Land Grabbers: The New Fight Over Who Owns the Earth

by
<http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp//Fred-Pearce/e/B001HMRS9Q/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1>Fred
Pearce (Author)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0807003247
    * Hardcover: 326 pages
    * Publisher: Beacon Press (29 May 2012)
    * Language: English
    * ISBN-10: 0807003247
    * ISBN-13: 978-0807003244
“Raises complex and urgent issues.”­Booklist, starred review
How Wall Street, Chinese billionaires, oil
sheiks, and agribusiness are buying up huge
tracts of land in a hungry, crowded world.

An unprecedented land grab is taking place around
the world. Fearing future food shortages or eager
to profit from them, the world’s wealthiest and
most acquisitive countries, corporations, and
individuals have been buying and leasing vast
tracts of land around the world. The scale is
astounding: parcels the size of small countries
are being gobbled up across the plains of Africa,
the paddy fields of Southeast Asia, the jungles
of South America, and the prairies of Eastern
Europe. Veteran science writer Fred Pearce spent
a year circling the globe to find out who was
doing the buying, whose land was being taken
over, and what the effect of these massive land deals seems to be.

The Land Grabbers is a first-of-its-kind exposé
that reveals the scale and the human costs of the
land grab, one of the most profound ethical,
environmental, and economic issues facing the
globalized world in the twenty-first century. The
corporations, speculators, and governments
scooping up land cheap in the developing world
claim that industrial-scale farming will help
local economies. But Pearce’s research reveals a
far more troubling reality. While some mega-farms
are ethically run, all too often poor farmers and
cattle herders are evicted from ancestral lands
or cut off from water sources. The good jobs
promised by foreign capitalists and home
governments alike fail to materialize. Hungry
nations are being forced to export their food to
the wealthy, and corporate potentates run
fiefdoms oblivious to the country beyond their fences.

Pearce’s story is populated with larger-than-life
characters, from financier George Soros and
industry tycoon Richard Branson, to Gulf state
sheikhs, Russian oligarchs, British barons, and
Burmese generals. We discover why Goldman Sachs
is buying up the Chinese poultry industry, what
Lord Rothschild and a legendary 1970s
asset-stripper are doing in the backwoods of
Brazil, and what plans a Saudi oil billionaire
has for Ethiopia. Along the way, Pearce
introduces us to the people who actually live on,
and live off of, the supposedly “empty” land that
is being grabbed, from Cambodian peasants,
victimized first by the Khmer Rouge and now by
crony capitalism, to African pastoralists confined to ever-smaller tracts.

Over the next few decades, land grabbing may
matter more, to more of the planet’s people, than
even climate change. It will affect who eats and
who does not, who gets richer and who gets
poorer, and whether agrarian societies can exist
outside corporate control. It is the new battle over who owns the planet.

<
Brilliant: Fred Pearce has lifted the lid on an
issue that has yet to register with most people.
Anyone who cares about the fate of the planet should read this. --Chris Mullin

This is just what the world has been waiting
for--a detailed overview of the land grabs that
are the principal manifestation of a new geopolitics of food.
--Lester R. Brown, President of Earth Policy
Institute and author of World on the Edge

In this terrific book, Fred Pearce digs the dirt
on land grabs. There's no corner of the world
that he hasn't visited to see modern colonialism
in action, and he's produced a work of required
reading for anyone concerned about global justice
in the twenty-first century. --Raj Patel, author of The Value of Nothing

A very important piece of work. --Tony Benn
--This text refers to an alternate
<http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/190581173X/ref=dp_proddesc_1?ie=UTF8&n=266239>Hardcover
edition.

Book Description

Fred Pearce lifts the lid on the most profound
ethical, environmental, economic and social issue
in the world today: How City Financiers, Chinese
billionnaires, oil sheiks and agribusiness are
buying up our hungry, crowded world. --This text
refers to an alternate
<http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/190581173X/ref=dp_proddesc_2?ie=UTF8&n=266239>Hardcover
edition.

<
In Every Way That Matters, A Winner. ...Grab It. 26 Jun 2012
By R. A. Barricklow - Published on Amazon.com
Format:Hardcover
An end run around national sovereignty will
accomplish much more than an old fashioned
frontal assault. It is being accomplished
worldwide on several fronts, all fronts using
some form of economic warfare. It is being
perpetrated by an unscrupulous international
money cartel. Greece maybe going on the auction
block, as may the rest of the PIGS
nations(Portugal,Italy, Greece, & Spain). They
were purposely attacked with financial
instruments known as derivatives. The implosion
in the U.S. was also planned(no accident). In
fact, there is a sordid history of this kind of
modus-operandi; it goes way, way back(but more on that later).
All this, as a prelude to Land Grabbers, because
the instrument that is being used by the
unaccountable financial oligarchs to buy up
planet earth's farmland ...is money. But money
that is issued by a private international money
cartel. More importantly, it is issued simply by
hitting some key srokes, numbers followed by
obscene amounts of zeros, & it is issued out of
nothing! (Read Web of Debt by Ellen Brown).
This then, is the proper frame from which to read The Land Grabbers.
The book is composed of six parts. Part One: Land
Wars, Part Two: White Men In Africa, Part Three:
Across The Globe, Part Four: China's Backyard,
Part Five: American Dreams, Part Sic: The Last
Encounter. The book is very detailed and explains
to concepts of the land grab expertly. More
importantly it is comprehensive. The author
certainly has done his homework. I suspect his
life's work comes across on every page, becuse
Fred Pearce has been covering this subject matter
for a very long time. I read his last book, When
Rivers Run Dry, another in which the leadership
of this planet is flunking-out the rest of
humanity, in it's stewardship of our only home,
planet earth. In Land Grab the subject changes
from water to land, but the same villians are
playing for an exremely elite few, at the expense
of the other 99+% of earth's inhabitants.
The author even covered the Goldman Sachs article
in Harpers Magazine about the futures market, how
it is manipulated by speculators to raise the
prices of foods, starving millions(of which 40
million are being made chronically hungry) in the
process. Pure speculation. Even knowing these
facts before reading, I still found out more I
was unaware of. Interesting facts, that click
into place on every page. Simply beyond any event
horizon I imagined. Well worth one's time. It is
an informatiove & an important read.
As I read, I found many oligarchs buying land
without regard to local or national laws/Some
people believe foreign land grabbers can be tamed
by national lwas. Don't believe it. Many domestic
laws governing international land transactions
are trumped by international agreements(IIAs).
Even if locals are starving or parched with
thrist, in law the rights of foreign investors
come first. International law is a land grabbers' charter.
Now back the finish the money frame. First off,
paradoxically, the futher back in time one goes,
the closer the relationship between science,
magic(the authur c clarke kind), and money
become. Since ancient times, and with more or
less uninterrupted consistancy, there has existed
an international money power which seeks by a
variety of means - including fraud, deception,
assasination, and war - to usurp the money &
credit creating power of the various states it
has sought to dominate. First, there was an
international bullion broker's trust, allied with
the temple, manipulating governments, religions,
pantheons and policies behind the scenes for it's
own agenda. The energy source of this bullion
broker's machinery was slavery(Babylon's Banksters by Joseph Farrell).
I just wanted to frame this review in a way that
the reader could read more into the page, than he
or she might otherwise do. (I hope I have not confused anybody in the process.)

The book is guns-drawn serious.
But is is also entertaining for those who want to
keep abreast to what is going on in the world
today, as well as to what is happening behind the
curtains, or on those cutting room floors of the
4th estate(an estate that just happens to be ...bankster occupied territory).

P.S. A good show on this has Catherine Austin
Fitts dicussing with Max Keiser PressTV On The Edge -
Euro zone - the centralization battle rages on

http://groups.google.com/group/uk-911-truth
http://www.youtube.com/user/PublicEnquiry
www.globalresearch.ca
www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1407615751783.2051663.1274106225&l=90330c0ba5&type=1

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic
poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung

Fear not therefore: for there is nothing covered
that shall not be revealed; and nothing hid that
shall not be made known. What I tell you in
darkness, that speak ye in the light and what ye
hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops. Matthew 10:26-27

Die Pride and Envie; Flesh, take the poor's advice.
Covetousnesse be gon: Come, Truth and Love arise.
Patience take the Crown; throw Anger out of dores:
Cast out Hypocrisie and Lust, which follows whores:
Then England sit in rest; Thy sorrows will have end;
Thy Sons will live in peace, and each will be a friend.
http://tinyurl.com/6ct7zh6