Welsh local authorities no longer need to notify plan departures

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Tue Jul 17 13:43:34 BST 2012

More corporate/development-friendly efforts to knobble the system against
the interests/participation of the public.

:-(

The Town and Country Planning (Notification) (Wales) Direction 2012 is
available at --
http://wales.gov.uk/docs/desh/publications/120711wgcircular072012en.pdf

P.

http://www.planningresource.co.uk/news/1141472/welsh%2Ddeparture%2Dapplication%2Dreferral%2Drequirement%2Daxed/

Welsh departure application referral requirement axed

Jamie Carpenter, Planning Resource, Tuesday 17th July 2012

Councils in Wales will no longer be required to refer planning applications
they wish to approve but which significantly depart from their development
plans to ministers, the Welsh government has said.

A direction aimed at reducing the number of planning applications
unnecessarily referred to Welsh ministers says that the requirement for
local authorities to refer "departure applications" to Welsh ministers will
be removed from 30 July.

Departure applications include development which is considered to
"significantly prejudice the implementation of the development plan’s
policies and proposals".

The direction also cancels a requirement for local planning authorities to
refer applications which comprise or include the provision of shopping
floorspace to Welsh ministers.

The new direction says that local authorities will be required to refer
applications, where they are minded to grant planning permission, for five
categories of development. These are:
- - Flood risk area development
- - Significant residential development
- - Minerals development
- - Waste development
- - Aggregates development in national parks and areas of outstanding natural
beauty

Wales’ environment minister John Griffiths said that the direction would help
to simplify the existing system and "achieve a more consistent approach
among local planning authorities".

He said: "By reducing the occasions when applications are referred to us,
local authorities will be able to provide a quicker and more streamlined
service to developers and residents.

"It will enable more cases to be dealt with by local planning authorities …
and will cut down on costly delays.

"The changes will also mean Welsh ministers can focus their attention on
projects that may impact across multiple local authorities."

- --

.

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ebo/

Read my 'essay' weblog, "Ecolonomics", at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ecolonomics/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/mobbsey-2011.asc