[Diggers350] Land reclamation militia of highly educated and politicised under 25s

david bangs dave.bangs at virgin.net
Tue Jun 26 22:48:47 BST 2012

Just in a historical vein, Tony, I'm not sure "enclosure is the fundamental injustice".

Farmed landscapes outside lowland England (and some within lowland England, like my own Wealden landscape) were always largely enclosed in medieval times, as they have been since.

Of course, the footprint of common 'wastes' was vastly greater, but the tilled land and improved pasturage
 was always mostly enclosed outside lowland England, in those times.

I think landlordism, in both its feudal and capitalist forms, was always the fundamental injustice...the theft of the value of the landworkers' labour...

Gerard Winstanley chose the right target, politically (commercial landlords enclosing common wastes and open fields) but he got the history a bit cock-eyed. (Sorry, Gerard, no offence !)

Dave Bangs