Imp. Letter in Today's Guardian re Close the Tax Havens.

mark at tlio.org.uk mark at tlio.org.uk
Thu Jun 28 11:13:30 BST 2012

From: 	Peter Hack <petercrispin at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: 	Imp. Letter in Today's Guardian re Close the Tax Havens.
Date: 	Thu, 28 Jun 2012 09:56:39 +0100 (BST)

Forgive me if this unwelcome but I copy to you a good letter from
Michael Meacher ; I think it very, very important.

We have to stop the downward spiral that is gripping Europe and the
rampant and endemic culture of corruption that is corroding public
ethics.

Here it is.

"Tax cheating by Jimmy Carr et al must not become a media game for
celebrity baiting. The real issue is that last year according to HMRC
42 billion pounds was lost through tax avoidance and evasion by
multinational companies and super rich individuals; this is one third
of Britain's entire budget deficit. The government then recoups the
lost tax receipts by cutting benefits 18bn and public spending 81bn.
This is a gigantic swindle from the poor to the rich.

Any government that thought tax avoidance was repugnant should now do
5 things. It should pass a general anti avoidance bill principle bill
that allows HMRC to declare null and void any scheme whose primary
purpose was an artificial contrivance to avoid tax rather than any
genuine economic purpose. My own Private Members Bill before the
Commons aims to do just that. Second the Govt should seek a new
international financial standard which requires mandatory country by
country reporting by transnational companies to block the collosal
loophole they use by transfer misspiricing. Thrid the EU's saving tax
directive, which the UK has repeatedly tried to water down, should be
strengthened to include offshore trusts, a favourite tool of the tax
cheating industry. Fourth UK's non domicile rule should be abolished.

Finally UK's tax havens should be shut down. The UK's crown colonies
hold 7trillion dollars of US bank deposits and hundreds of billions of
sterling deposits dodging some 30 billion in tax. Unless they provide
full information on all such funds then any transactions with such
havens should be declared illegal".

Michael Meacher M.P. Guardian 28 June