80th anniversary of the Mass Kinder Trespass

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Tue Mar 13 13:55:13 GMT 2012

Hi all,

Here's my take -- feel free to derogate...

On Sunday 11 Mar 2012 22:20:26 mark at tlio.org.uk wrote:
> It wld be great to do this as a TLIO "action". What do you think?

Firstly, I've been camping outdoors on 'open land' (i.e., not formal sites)
since I was 13. Why do I need to turn something that I've been 'naturally'
doing for 30 years into an action to fight for the right to do it? -- seems
rather silly to me. And I know of others who've been camping in the hills
all their lives too, and they will continue to do so irrespective of what
happens to the law on countryside access, squatting, etc.

Secondly, Kinder Scout. We're talking open moorland somewhere between
1,900ft and 2,075ft high (the name 'Kinder low' is a misnomer -- it's the
highest point). It's a good 2 hours walk from the nearest road, climbing
about 1,100ft. Lightweight/'wild' camping is therefore the only practical
option, and you need to have good equipment -- if a storm gets up the cheap
tents you buy for festivals will be chewed up/shredded in a few hours, and
cheap butane stoves don't work in the cold (it can snow on Kinder in late
April!).

Who exactly is going to go on such a hike. More importantly, if you try to
run it as a conventional 'action', who exactly is going to exert that kind
of effort in order to see it? That's the paradox of trying to get legal
parity with Scottish law using the Kinder trespass as a working example --
e.g. I can't think of any friendly journos who'd be willing to go that far
for a story.

The way I see it, this isn't an "action" -- it's precisely the opposite.
Being able to camp on open land, anywhere, should be seen as normal as
going for a walk. It doesn't require a collective 'action' to make it
happen; people should just go and do it (see reasons in second point
below).

The reason for going to Kinder Scout, apart from its iconic position in
social history, is that the land is owned by the National Trust. The
National Trust for Scotland has all it's open land available for camping by
the public under the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 -- and the "sky has
not fallen" as a result. Why then can't major English landowners, like the
National Trust, open up their land too?; irespective of what the law
currently states?

> Def interested in doing this.  Were you thinking of doing this on Sat
> April 21st (Queen Liz's birthday?)

As I see it, what this 'expedition' is all about is exercising our historic
rights -- even though England law doesn't recognise those rights as a
result of the Norman theft of the land. We're going to do this anyway, as
many backpackers routinely do all the time in the Pennines and other
places; but Instead of skulking where we can't be seen in hedgerows and
quarries, from now on we're openly going to camp in the countryside
(there's an analysis of the issues realted to this in the Free Range
Network's sheet O1 -- http://www.fraw.org.uk/fwd?o1 ).

How I see this developing is that we put together something along the lines
of a 'Kinder Declaration' to mark the date of the event itself. Free Range,
TLIO, and whoever else wants to be involvedsimply draw up a text we can all
sign-up to -- and which anyone else can 'subscribe' purely because they
agree to it.

So, the date itself will be marked by the issuing of a declaration; the
publication of a guide or handbook for those wanting to camp outdoors which
outlines the disparity between the law in England and Scotland; and giving
potential campers tips on how to camp outdoors (rather like the 'Great
Outdoors' sheets developed by the Free Range Network already do).

>From the date we issue the 'declaration', we're basically saying to "the
establishment" that irrespective of what you hold the law to be we're going
to exercise our ancient rights to reside on open land -- and we invite the
public to do so in their favourite locations across England and Wales. Not
as a co-ordinated action or event, but just as an when they wish to.

Whilst Kinder might be an iconic expedition to launch this social meme, we
need to encourage others around England and Wales to hold their own actions
on open land/woodlands in their own area. So in a decentralised way we
recreate the ancient practise of residing outdoors in the countryside --
it's then up to the establishment to either go along with that or find an
escuse to defend the right of a minority who own the land to have exclusive
right to it (that, after all, is the real issue that will be drawn out as a
result of people camping out).

Thusm, with regard to dates, the date isn't relevant. We issue the
declaration on the anniversary, and from that moment on anyone, anywhere
can go camping in the countryside in order to uphold the ideas enshrined in
the declaration -- be that on Kinder or anywhere else.

Each local event, and the Kinder expedition, IS NOT AN ACTION. That has to
be absolutely clear at the outset. The 'action' is the issuing of the
declaration. When people go camping on land that's a social/educational
activity -- and as such it's not covered by most of the conventional
criminal restrictions on protest. Then all we need do is invite people to
post their pictures/experiences online, as a sort of travelog, to celebrate
the recreation of our ancient rights.

So, do you get it? This isn't anything new. It's something that I and many
others have been doing for years -- and no amount of 'actions' or
'protests' will change that. All we're doing is formalising this practise
by creating a 'declaration' that codifies our ancient rights, and which
challenges private rights over open land. Then people just get on with it,
and any legal actions/hassle that results from that will form the basis of
"action", not the purely social past-time of camping with your friends in
the open countryside.

I know that might sound a bit contrived, but it negotiates around a lot of
the current criminal legal hassles over dissent, whilst at the same time
focussing on the issue of private rights over a resource that should be
held in common by all.

Comments?

P.

--

.

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ebo/

Read my 'essay' weblog, "Ecolonomics", at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ecolonomics/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/mobbsey-2011.asc