Sheet A1. Fracking, Do Something!: Action on unconventional gas

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Wed Mar 21 12:06:01 GMT 2012

http://www.fraw.org.uk/publications/a-series/a01/

A1. Fracking, Do Something! -- Action on unconventional gas

Version 1, March 2012. Produced by the Free Range Energy Beyond Oil Project

As we reach the limits to growth the certainties that underpin the modern
economic system are failing. As 'easy to produce' oil and gas deplete the energy
industry is seeking more extreme fuel sources, from deep ocean drilling to tar
sands. 'Unconventional gas' is a series of technologies that seek to get natural
gas from hard to produce/unconventional sources of rock. This sheet looks at the
legal and procedural issues related to the development of unconventional gas in
the UK, and how the public can intercede at each stage in order to oppose these
developments.

In this sheet we examine:

# The process which should take place before an unconventional gas development
gets built and becomes operational;

# Where the public should be involved in that process, and what they can do;

# How the various legal authorities make their decisions; and finally,

# We'll look at what the impacts of these developments are and how to tackle
them.

Sheet A1 is available to view/download in the following formats:

# HTML version (215kB) -- For viewing/cut and pasting data
http://www.fraw.org.uk/publications/a-series/a01/a01-fracking-do_something.html

# A1L, linked/colour PDF version (931kB) -- For viewing/colour printing
http://www.fraw.org.uk/publications/a-series/a01/a01l-fracking-do_something.pdf

# A1P, print/greyscale PDF version (874kB) --  For printing/photocopying
http://www.fraw.org.uk/publications/a-series/a01/a01p-fracking-do_something.pdf

There is also a "references and further information" annex, Sheet A1R,
which contains references and links for further reports, videos and web sites
(the 'further information' listed on the index page for sheet A1).

Sheet A1 should be read alongside Sheet E11. 'Fracking and Coalbed Methane:
Unconventional gas in the UK'. That sheet gives detailed technical information
about unconventional gas processes; this sheet looks at how to take action
against such developments by tackling "the system" that regulates them.

Note also that the revised slides for the 2012 'Jam Tomorrow' presentation are
now on-line too  as a PDF --
http://www.fraw.org.uk/publications/projects/jam_tomorrow-presentation-2012.pdf

We'll be releasing further details of a proposed UK tour shortly. If you'd like
to jump that announcement and discuss dates for an event of unconventional gas
then please get in touch -- mei at fraw.org.uk

Bokk! Bokk!

- --

.

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ebo/

Read my 'essay' weblog, "Ecolonomics", at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ecolonomics/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/mobbsey-2011.asc