Squatting will become a criminal offence in September

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Fri May 4 23:45:15 BST 2012

Squatting to become a criminal offence
by Martin Bentham Evening Standard - 01 May 2012
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/uk/squatting-to-become-a-criminal-offence-7703881.html
Squatting will become a criminal offence at the
start of September after legislation to protect
homeowners was passed by Parliament today.
Under the change, squatters will face up to six
months in jail and a maximum £5,000 fine if they
move into a homeowners’ property.
It will be the first time that squatting has
become a crime and follows a spate of cases in
which residents have returned to find their homes
occupied, and often damaged, by intruders who refuse to leave.
Charities and other campaigners have complained
that the measure, contained in the Government’s
Legal Aid and Sentencing Bill, will criminalise
the homeless and add to the numbers living on the streets.
Justice minister Crispin Blunt insisted today,
however, that homeowners needed more protection
as he announced that the new law would come into effect from September 1.
“For too long squatters have had the justice
system on the run,” he said. “Not any more. Hard
working homeowners need and deserve a justice
system where their rights come first, this new
offence will ensure the police and other agencies
can take quick and decisive action to deal with the misery of squatting.”
As well as making squatting a crime, the new
legislation contains other changes intended to
make easier for homeowners to prove that their
home is being occupied unlawfully.
There will, for example, no longer be a
requirement to show that a squatter has displaced
a resident and that the victim has nowhere else
to live in. Squatting has previously only been a
civil offence. That has left homeowners facing
potentially lengthy and expensive legal battles to remove squatters.

Squatters move in to £7.5m mansion with swimming
pools, cinema and nuclear bunker eyed by Johnny Depp and John Terry
Luxury property has a 100-yard lake, seven
kitchens, 17 bathrooms, 14 reception rooms,
ballroom, tennis court, spa, sauna and steam room, and orangery
Seven invaders displayed legal notice stating their rights to stay at the home
Police say they are powerless to act
Squatter's verdict: 'It's a smashing house'

Emacs!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2139522/Squatters-7-5m-mansion-eyed-Johnny-Depp-John-Terry.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
By Tom Gardner - PUBLISHED: 14:56, 4 May 2012 | UPDATED: 16:24, 4 May 2012
Squatters have invaded the £7.5m mansion once
sought after by Hollywood movie star Johnny Depp and footballer John Terry.
Police were called the luxury home which comes
with two swimming pools, 34-seat cinema and
nuclear bunker, after intruders were discovered.
But officers left without making arrests after
the group of seven squatters put up a legal
notice stating their rights to stay at the
ten-bedroom residence called Golden Hill, in
Romsey, Hampshire, which is still being built.
Squatter Ian Randall, 38, who moved into the
house with common law wife Jade, 24, said: ‘I used no force to enter.
‘Me, my wife and another person were offered £500
pounds between us to leave quietly. The place was
unsecured and unlocked and there is no damage to the property.
‘It is a smashing house. We just camped out in
the room, played cards in our sleeping bags and had a few sandwiches.
Take notice: The squatters have refused the leave
the property - despite claiming to have been offered £500 to get out
‘We stayed there because our friends were
squatting and they phoned us offering a place because we are homeless.
‘The police came but left in the morning. They
said there was nothing they could do because it was a civil matter.’
Pirates of the Caribbean actor Depp, 48, and
Chelsea captain Terry, 31, have both shown an interest in buying the property.
The 22,000sq ft property has a 100-yard lake,
seven kitchens, 17 bathrooms, 14 reception rooms,
ballroom, tennis court, spa, sauna and steam room, and orangery.
It also comes with a 225-yard par three golf
hole, gym, billiards room, bespoke bar, panic
room with bank vault doors and an underground tunnel.
The squatters had taped up legal warning posters
around the house referring to Section 6 of the Criminal Law Act 1977.
It read: ‘We live in this property, it is our
home and we intend to stay here. If you attempt
to enter by violence or by threatening violence we will prosecute you.’
A & B Homes, who own the mansion, said: ‘The
squatters claims are wrong and force had been used to enter the property.’
Film star Depp was spotted in the sleepy market
town near Southampton, coming out of the house’
gates in a car in January by a shopkeeper.
England ace Terry has also looked at snapping up
the property but decided not to purchase it after
realising it was too far away from Chelsea’s training ground in Cobham, Surrey.
A Hampshire Constabulary spokesman said: ‘We
liaised with the owners at the site and provided them with advice.
‘It has been closed as far as we are concerned,
there does not appear to have been criminal offences committed.
‘Officers had found damage to the entrance gates
to the property, but we are not in a position to
arrest or charge anyone as we have been unable to
obtain evidence of who caused the damage.’