Luddites200 May update

Ned Ludd tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Thu May 24 21:34:18 BST 2012

Huddersfield Luddites 200 Festival

On April 27th-29th Huddersfield celebrated the
Luddites 200th anniversary in style. Highlights
of the festival included two musical shows,
poetry readings and competition awards, workshops
on new technologies, films, exhibitions and talks
on the local Luddite history.  My personal
highlights included a fascinating discussion on
computers and digital technology with Gail
Chester and Ed Geraghty, 14 year old Theo Ayres'
stunning prize-winning poem and Dave Douglass'
barnstorming rescue of the Luddites (and other
workers who used sabotage) from the condescension
of official trade union histories.  Amongst Those
Dark Satanic Mills was highly enjoyabIe, with
stirring performances, (some of which we hope to
include on a forthcoming Luddite music CD), and
Saturday was wonderfully climaxed by a packed Red
Sky Coven gig, with our very own James Bar Bowen
as support.  I also heard rave reviews of the
standing-room-only history talks and the
rollicking folk music session at The Albert.

Unfortunately, we were prevented from staging a
live machine smashing by Kirklees Council
bureaucrats, who even tried to stop us from
handing out leaflets to publicise the festival!!
However, there is talk of a smaller annual event
in Huddersfield, so this may be possible next year.

In order to promote the festival we produced some
stunning merchandise, including t-shirts, mugs
and badges. We still have some of these left
which can be purchased via the Luddites200
blog
(<http://luddites200blog.org.uk/huddersfield-luddites200-festival/>http://luddites200blog.org.uk/huddersfield-luddites200-festival/).
We also produced some badges with slogans not
connected to the festival, such as 'Down With All
Kings But King Ludd!' 'Off Your Computer And Onto
The Streets!' and 'Down With Machinery Hurtful To
Commonality!' These can also be purchased via the blog.

Special thanks for all their work in all their
work in organising the festival to Bar Bowen, Ian
Brooke, Claire Slack, Sam Lee and all the
volunteer stewards, and to all our speakers/performers for giving their time

Some coverage of the festival can be found at
<http://womenshistorynetwork.org/blog/>http://womenshistorynetwork.org/blog/
and
<http://www.historyworkshop.org.uk/not-hurtful-to-commonality-luddite-anniversaries-in-huddersfield/>http://www.historyworkshop.org.uk/not-hurtful-to-commonality-luddite-anniversaries-in-huddersfield/,
and The Huddersfield Examiner also covered the
event (see attachment). Some video and audio
recordings of parts of the festival will shortly
be available on the Luddites200 website.

Other Recent Luddite Events

April saw a lot of other Luddite-related activity
in both Yorkshire and Lancashire. On April
21st/22nd the Westhoughton Local History Society
staged a festival celebrating the destruction of
the local mill in 1812, including a re-enactment
of the actual fire. They have also produced an
exhibition and booklet detailing their research,
information about which can be found at
<http://www.theluddites.org.uk/The_Luddites/Home.html>http://www.theluddites.org.uk/The_Luddites/Home.html.

In Yorkshire Mikron Theatre's excellent new play
'Can You Keep A Secret?', was launched and will
be performed throughout the summer on their
annual canal boat tour.  In mid-April the Spen
Valley Civic Society unveiled a statue of a
cropper at Liversedge, in a miniature park that
they have built. The unveiling ceremony was
attended by some controversy, with certain
Luddites200 supporters from the Huddersfield area
protesting at what they saw as the Civic
Society's depoliticised version of Luddite
history. However, despite the differences both
groups celebrated the occasion with some 'good
ale that's brown' at The Shears, the pub at which
the Luddites were said to have planned their
attack on Rawfolds Mill. (The Hudds Ludds were
excluded from the official celebration but were
served in the garden, thanks to the pub's
sterling landlord, Paul Black.)  Luddites200
supporters proceeded from there to The Star at
Roberttown, where injured men from the Rawfolds
attack were brought, for further refreshment.

On the same weekend as the Hudds Ludds Festival,
Huddersfield Local History Society commemorated
the exact bicentenary of the assassination of
chief Yorkshire anti-Luddite, William Horsfall,
with a walk along his final journey. The Society
has recently published an updated and revised
edition of 'Liberty or Death: Radicals,
Republicans and Luddites 1793-1823' by Alan
Brooke & Lesley Kipling, which can be obtained
from Luddites200 for £9.  We also have copies of
a facsimile version of the Luddite novel 'Ben'O'Bills, the Luddite', for £12.

Horrible Luddite Histories

In April History Today and BBC History magazines
published articles by a Cambridge University
research student, Richard Jones, which has proved
an angry response from historians of the
Luddites. Despite his claims to be presenting a
nuanced version of Luddite history, Jones ends up
falling back on popular stereotypes, such as the
claim that the Luddites rebellion was an attempt
to block progress by small groups of 'privileged'
workers. The Luddites Bicentenary blog,
Huddersfield local historian Alan Brooke and
Luddites200 have now published a detailed
response to Jones's article, which can be found
at
<http://ludditebicentenary.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/at-war-with-facts-rebuttal-of-richard.html>http://ludditebicentenary.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/at-war-with-facts-rebuttal-of-richard.html,
a version of which will shortly appear as a letter in History Today.

A more amusing and, actually, factually more
accurate version of the Luddite story, produced
by Horrible Histories can be found at
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgBiGrpWNQU>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgBiGrpWNQU.

Upcoming events

On Sunday May 27th anti-GM food campaigners Take
the Flour Back
(<http://taketheflourback.org/>http://taketheflourback.org/)
are planning to decontaminate a trial plot of GM
wheat at Rothamsted Research in Harpenden.  The
crop has been genetically engineered to repel
aphids. The campaigners say that there is a
significant risk that the engineered genes will
escape into surrounding wheat crops and that
losses to wheat crops due to aphids are
minimal.  The meet-up point for the event is in
Rothamsted Park and people are encouraged to come
and show their support even if they don't want to
take part in the decontamination.

The Campaign Against Climate Change, who helped
run a workshop at our Huddersfield festival, have
created a Climate Jobs Caravan to support their
One Million Climate Jobs campaign. The caravan
will be touring the country (for dates see
<http://www.campaigncc.org/climatejobscaravan>http://www.campaigncc.org/climatejobscaravan),
and there will be a final rally in London on May
25th. Luddites200 supports the campaign because
it is an attempt, in the Luddite tradition, to
challenge existing economic and technological
paradigms, and at the same time to safeguard workers' livelihoods.