Silent Theft: The Private Plunder of Our Common Wealth

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Wed Nov 14 14:10:12 GMT 2012

Silent Theft: The Private Plunder of Our Common Wealth
by David Bollier
'They hang the man and flog the woman That steal the goose from off
the common, But let the greater villain loose That steals the common
from the goose.' - Traditional nursery rhyme Until a 1998 federal
court decision, a Minnesota publisher claimed to own every federal
court decision, including Roe v. Wade and Brown v. Board of
Education. A Texas company was recently allowed to calm a patent on
basmati rice, a kind of rice grown in India for hundreds of years.
The Mining Act of 1872 is still in effect, allowing companies to buy
land from the government at USD5 and acre if they pan to mine it.
These are resources that belong to al of use, yet they are being
given away to companies with anything but the common interest in
mind. Where was the public outcry, or the government intervention,
when these were happening? The answers are alarming. Private
corporations are consuming the resources that the American people
collectively own at a staggering rate, and the government is not
protecting the commons on our behalf. In Silent Theft , David Bollier
exposes the audacious attempts of companies to appropriate medical
breakthroughs, public airwaves, outer space, state research, and even
the DNA of plants and animals. Amazingly, these abuses often go
unnoticed, Bollier argues, because we have lost our ability to see
the commons. Publicly funded technological innovations create common
wealth (cell phone airwaves, internet addresses, gene sequences) at
blinding speed, while an economic atmosphere of deregulation and
privatization ensures they will be quickly bought and sold. In an age
of market triumphalism, does the notion of the commons have any
practical meaning? Crisp and revelatory, Silent Theft is a bold
attempt to develop a new language of the commons, a new ethos of
commonwealth in the face of a market ethic that knows no bounds
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0415944821/

[audio] Dialect: Occupy London, Ownership to Stewardship
http://www.radio4all.net/index.php/program/64350
http://www.radio4all.net/files/tony@cultureshop.org.uk/2149-1-Dialect16Nov2012.mp3

Subtitle:  Reclaiming the commons with Tim Flitcroft
Featured Speakers/Commentators:  Wai Hnin, Timothy Flitcroft, Jason
Yannacopoulos, Olivier Griffiths, Tony Gosling
Contributor:
<http://www.radio4all.net/index.php/contributor/2149>Bristol
Broadband
Co-operative
[<http://www.radio4all.net/index.php/contributor/2149/contact/>Contact
Contributor]

This week the featured artist is Bill WIthers as

we go to former British colony Burma and hear Wai Hnin explain the
country's Burma Oil resources and post colonial killings of
democratic activists. Also the military rule and assaults on
indigenous people, and her father, by the totalitarian government
with little real democracy. WIll Aung San Suu Kyi actually be allowed
to stand for president as she is married to a foreigner?
http://www.burmacampaign.org.uk/

Then Jason Yannacopoulos begins a two-part discussion about the
history of the disabled in the UK, beginning in 1388.

Tim Flitcroft works with Occupy London on spreading the ideas around
a global commons and stewardship of the earth rather than
privatisation and ownership. He has just hosted his own Putney
Debates which were first conducted during the English Civil war in
1649. See also articles by David Bollier (not Derek as Tim
accidentally says) who is visiting London on 23rd November if you
want to meet him.
http://commonsrising.ning.com/
http://www.schoolofcommoning.com/

Olivier Griffiths is standing in for Jeff Sparks this week with his
what's on and song of the week.

http://groups.google.com/group/uk-911-truth
http://www.youtube.com/user/PublicEnquiry
www.globalresearch.ca
www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1407615751783.2051663.1274106225&l=90330c0ba5&type=1

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic poison which
alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung

Fear not therefore: for there is nothing covered that shall not be
revealed; and nothing hid that shall not be made known. What I tell
you in darkness, that speak ye in the light and what ye hear in the
ear, that preach ye upon the housetops. Matthew 10:26-27

Die Pride and Envie; Flesh, take the poor's advice.
Covetousnesse be gon: Come, Truth and Love arise.
Patience take the Crown; throw Anger out of dores:
Cast out Hypocrisie and Lust, which follows whores:
Then England sit in rest; Thy sorrows will have end;
Thy Sons will live in peace, and each will be a friend.
http://tinyurl.com/6ct7zh6