Luddite Poetry & Music for Christmas!

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sat Nov 17 12:23:38 GMT 2012

Luddite poetry & music

Chanukah and Christmas are coming and we have the
perfect Luddite presents for your friends and family.

Words in Praise of Ned Ludd includes a selection
of poems from our competition earlier this year
(cover attached). From plaintive and meditative
moods to stirring calls to action, the poets
honour the Luddites and their sacrifices in this
year of their 200th anniversary.

General Ludd’s Triumph, our compilation CD of
traditional and modern Luddites music, is the
perfect companion to the poetry anthology.
Artists include Chumbawamba, Seize the Day, New
Model Army, Steeleye Span, Martin Davis, Eric
Angus Whyte, The Hammer and Shears Theatre Company and Robert Calvert.

In order not to take a big financial risk with
our very limited resources, we need you to let us
know that you want to buy copies of the book and
CD. What would be even better would be to send us
a cheque which we will keep until December 3rd,
when we will decide to go ahead with these
projects or not: in the latter case we will just
tear up your cheque. Please help us ensure that
these two great projects succeed by emailing us
immediately with your advance orders. As was
common in the 19th century, when books were often
published by getting subscribers in advance, if
you send us £20 for either the book or CD, you
will get your name printed in the list of subscribers, as well as a free copy.

The book is priced at £7, and the CD at £10.
Please send cheques made payable to Human
Genetics Alert (a friendly organisation who are
letting us use their bank account) to 22b St Kilda’s Road, London, N16 5BZ.

Last Reminder for Luddite Celebrations in Manchester this weekend

If you’re anywhere near Manchester don’t miss
our event at the Peoples History Museum
celebrating the Lancashire Luddites. There will
be music from One Accord, poetry and talks from
the Westhoughton History Group and Richard
Holland, editor of the Luddite Bicentenary Blog.
For more details visit
http://www.phm.org.uk/whatson/celebrate-the-luddites-200th-anniversary/.

Machine Breaking Video

On October 27th we organised a bit of fun at the
Anarchist Book Fair in London, complete with
Luddites in traditional costume and proper
Yorkshire Enoch hammers. For videos go to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SF1fJD_a6o&feature=share&list=UU35dtHqsdO-hCNbkSPCAj1g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFb4dfTcQvU

Change of date for trade union event.

Due to the many other urgent projects we are
working on we have postponed the date of the
event on automation and new technologies that was
scheduled for December 1st until the spring. Watch this space for details.

New items available from Luddites200.

We have recently acquired two new pamphlets and a
book which are crucial reading for the
enlightened Luddite. Queen Mab and Ned Ludd by
historian Peter Lindbaugh puts the Luddite
uprising in a fascinating global perspective of
resistance to slavery, imperialism and the
industrial revolution, and relates the Luddite
struggle to Percy Shelley’s famous poem Queen
Mab. The Past Tense London radical history group
have produced a excellent pamphlet about the
story of the Spitalfields silk weavers and their
18th century industrial struggles, which included
machine breaking. Finally, we have ordered copies
of Progress Without People, David Nobles
indispensable history of automation in the 20th
century and union resistance to it, including the
1970s Alternative Plan by the British Lucas
Aerospace workers. Queen Mab and Ned Ludd costs
£6 and Progress Without People £13 including
p&p, The Spitalfields pamphlet just £1 p&p. Please send cheques as above.

Current technology politics issues and events.

No to human genetic engineering!

The British government is currently proposing to
legalise a new technique for treating certain
genetic diseases that would for the first time
allow the creation of babies whose genes have
been intentionally altered. Although food crops,
bacteria and animals have been genetically
engineered for the last 20 years there has been a
world wide consensus, embodied in legislation in
many countries, including the UK, that we should
not attempt to do the same with human beings.
These techniques are not strictly speaking
genetic engineering, but involve cloning-type,
manipulation of eggs that result in an embryo
with altered DNA in its mitochondria (small
‘organelles’, responsible for energy
production that are found in all cells).

Apart from the health risks to the children
involved, crossing this line would lead
inevitably to a future of ‘designer babies’
and a new consumer-driven eugenics. Advocates of
the new techniques argue that it would help
prevent severe suffering, but in fact there are
already perfectly safe and reliable alternatives:
adoption, or the donation of eggs by another
woman. Thus, in fact, the only benefit gained by
these techniques is that the mother is
genetically related to the child in the normal
way. Such a social, rather than medical, benefit
in no ways justifies dragging humanity across
this line of profound importance.

The Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority
is currently consulting the public on these
proposals and it’s imperative that there is a
strong response. Their online consultation can be
filled in at
http://mitochondria.hfea.gov.uk/mitochondria/.
Human Genetics Alert is campaigning against the
proposals and is releasing a briefing next week.
Send an email to david.king at hgalert.org if you would like a copy.

Events

For reports on the recent actions at the proposed
new Hinkley C nuclear reactor and the week of
action against drones visit
http://risingtide.org.uk/content/site-proposed-hinkley-point-c-nuclear-plant-reclaimed-mass-trespass
and http://dronecampaignnetwork.wordpress.com/.
On Saturday December 1st, anti fracking groups
are organising ‘The Big Revolt’. For details
of actions visit
http://risingtide.org.uk/content/big-rig-revolt-%E2%80%93-sat-1st-dec.

On December 2nd there will be a discussion event
in London focusing on anarchist perspectives on
science. For more details visit https://network23.org/anarchistscience/.