south african Coalition of farm workers on strike

david bangs dave.bangs at virgin.net
Mon Nov 19 20:42:18 GMT 2012

From: Democratic Left Front Media <democraticleft.za.media at gmail.com>
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Sent: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 5:40
Subject: Coalition of farm workers on strike

COALITION OF FARM WORKERS ON WESTERN CAPE AREAS ON STRIKE

PRESS STATEMENT:
THE FARM WORKER STRUGGLE WILLCONTINUE!

‘FROM THE 4TH OF DECEMBER UNTIL WEWIN OUR DEMANDS’
This strike is theinitiative of the farm workers and no one else. No
one organization or even group called it and no one can thereforecall
it off except the workers themselves. We reject with contempt
thesuggestion by among others Helen Zille that the strike is the
outcome ofinterventions by outside forces. We recognize that some
workers have decided toreturn to work for now and some to continue
striking. Our immediate task is tosupport farm workers whether they are
back at work or still striking.
We have given thegovernment until 4 December to institute the minimum
wage of R150 per day andto concede to our other demands that farm
worker are in the process ofgathering. If they do not do so, 4 December
will see the intensification ofprotest actions, both in scope and in
militancy. Let there be no doubt. FarmWorkers are not going to calm
down and reconcile to the same old slaveryconditions. There will be
change!
We reject the approach ofthe government, both provincial and national.
They have consistently listenedto the farmers rather than the farm
workers. To date it is only the Minister ofAgriculture that has shown
an interest in the protests of the farm workers.However we say that
farm workers will not be spoken through the media. We also rejectany
attempt to prescribe how and when negotiations must take place. We want
tomake this clear. The things we are demanding are not luxuries; they
arenecessities. They are not negotiable.
We condemn the role of thepolice. They have shown their true colours as
thugs with no respect for lawsand even less for farm workers. We demand
the unconditional release of allarrested comrades and for the
intimidation and violence by the police tostop. We demand an
immediate inquiryinto the killing of the farm worker at Wolseley and De
Doorns. We furtherdemand an inquiry into the manner in which rural SAP
police stations are usedto protect properties of the land- owners
whilst turning a blind eye to theongoing human rights abuses against
farm workers on the farms.
The farmers and the policeare acting in close concert to suppress the
striking workers. They are fully toblame for any violence and disorder,
and they have made the suspension of thestrike impossible. We do not
wantviolence, but we cannot say the same of the police. The farmers are
continuingheaping racist and sexist insults on farm workers, and we
will not accept this.
We are also demanding thatthe Minister of Labour and the Minister for
Rural Development and Land Reformjoin with the Minister of Agriculture
to take active steps to heed the call ofthe rural poor who are
demanding a living wage and a life of dignity. TheMinister of Labour
and the Minister of Rural Development and Land Reform havebeen silent!
Farm worker rights are labour rights and land rights! We havewaited too
long for change. From this meeting we willmobilize farm workers to
form worker committees on every farm and in everytown. Through these
committees workers will speak and decide whether to callfor a wine and
fruit boycott and whether to proceed with land occupations.
Farmworkers, the unions and the NGOs are also preparing to take the
struggle for aliving wage and decent working conditions to the
international social partners.
Farm workers are callingon other workers and unions, the faith
community, the civil society to jointhem in the demand for a living
wage and a life of dignity. Issued by a Coalition ofFarm Worker
Representatives from the areas on strike, plus trade unions andNGO’s
who met on 17 November 2012 in Stellenbosch. For more information
contact: Women on Farms: 0218872960 (Stellenbosch) Sikhula Sonke 021
8833180 (Stellenbosch)BAWSI: 083805654
(Paarl)Mawubuye:0731293491(Ashton) DeDoorns Committee:
0730046506CSAAWU: 021 9171924 (Robertson /Montague)Food Sovereignty
Campaign:0718979140 (Citrusdal) TCOE: 0731980621