Vexatious objectors could face cost awards

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Fri Oct 5 16:18:26 BST 2012

Note: the DCLG paper on giving more power to awards costs is online at --
http://www.parliament.uk/documents/commons%2Dvote%2Doffice/September_2012/06%2D09%2D12/3.DCLG%2DHousingandGrowth.pdf

The relevant sentence is on page 4, "In addition, we intend to give
Planning Inspectors more power to initiate an award of costs in planning
appeal proceedings, where it is clear that an application has not been
handled as it should have been with due process."

:-(

There is also of course the rather crunchy issue of how you define
"vexatious" -- as one person's 'vexatious' could easily be another person's
'democratic rights'!

Personally, I think this is just a rouse to scare stretched middle class
objectors with assets to loose from taking part in blocking
naff/environmentally damaging development.

P.

http://www.planningresource.co.uk/news/1153573/vexatious%2Dobjectors%2Dface%2Dcost%2Dawards/

Vexatious objectors could face cost awards

Richard Garlick, Planning Resource, Friday 5th October 2012

Vexatious objectors to planning applications could in future be forced to
contribute to an applicant's or planning authority's costs, a senior
Planning Inspectorate official said yesterday.

Communities secretary Eric Pickles announced last month that he intended to
give planning inspectors more power to initiate an award of costs in
planning appeal proceedings.

He said that this would happen "where it is clear that an application has
not been handled as it should have been with due process", prompting
commentators to observe that the only parties likely to be penalised were
local planning authorities.

However, responding to questions about the costs imposed by vexatious
objections at a conference yesterday, PINS casework director Mark Southgate
pointed out that this could potentially be addressed by the inspectorate's
promised new power.

Speaking to Planning after his speech, Southgate said that "we will have to
see whether the power will apply across the board", rather than simply to
awards of costs against councils.

Southgate was speaking at the British Institute of Agricultural Consultants
rural planning conference, which took place near Kettering in
Northamptonshire.

He also told delegates that tests applied to applications for essential
agricultural workers' dwellings might reappear following the government
review of the guidance that previously underlay planning policy guidance
and statements. The tests were largely swept away by the introduction of
the National Planning Policy Framework.

- --

.

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ebo/

Read my 'essay' weblog, "Ecolonomics", at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ecolonomics/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/mobbsey-2011.asc