Why America’s Economic Growth May Be (Shh!) Over

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Wed Oct 10 20:32:09 BST 2012

I've sourced a copy of the original paper rather than the abstract pointed
to from the article, and put it on-line at FRAW --
http://www.fraw.org.uk/files/economics/gordon_2012.pdf

P.

http://www.freakonomics.com/2012/10/04/why%2Damerica%E2%80%99s%2Deconomic%2Dgrowth%2Dmay%2Dbe%2Dshh%2Dover%2Da%2Dnew%2Dmarketplace%2Dpodcast/

Why America’s Economic Growth May Be (Shh!) Over, a New Marketplace Podcast

Stephen J. Dubner, Freakonomics, 4th October 2012

With the Presidential debate finished, we are officially in the final lap of
America's second-favorite spectator sport. (Yes, football is better than
politics.) Of all the talking that Barack Obama and Mitt Romney will do by
Nov. 6, you can bet that a great deal of their breath will be expended on
economic matters. Because that's what the President of the United States
does, right — runs our economy?

Well, actually, no. The President has far less influence over the economy
than people tend to think — as we've pointed out not once, or twice, but
three times.

That, of course, won't stop the candidates from talking about their plans
to "fix" or "heal" or "restore" our economy — all of which imply that we are
in an economic doldrums that is sure to pass. But what if it doesn't? What
if the massive economic growth the U.S. has experienced through most of our
history is a thing of the past?

That's the topic of our latest Freakonomics Radio on Marketplace podcast.
(You can download/subscribe at iTunes, get the RSS feed, listen via the
media player above in the post, or read the transcript below.)

It is largely based on a recent paper by the Northwestern economist Robert
J. Gordon, called "Is U.S. Economic Growth Over? Faltering Innovation
Confronts the Six Headwinds" (abstract, PDF). It is an impressive and
interesting piece of economic history; among the writers who have taken
note of it are David Warsh and Tim Harford.

Gordon argues that we have essentially experienced three different
Industrial Revolutions over the past couple centuries. The first (1750-1830)
gave us steam power and railroads. The second (1870-1900) gave us
electricity and all that went along with it; the internal combustion engine
(and all that went along with it), running water and indoor toilets,
communications, and much more. And the third, the digital revolution, has
of course brought us computers, mobile phones, and the like.

Gordon's central argument is that, as impressive as this third revolution
has been, in terms of productivity and other concrete economic gains, it
cannot hold a candle to the electric revolution:

    GORDON: If you think about the great inventions of the last ten years,
you think of iPods, you think of the iPad, iPhones, but each of those is an
incremental improvement on what we already had. We had portable music in
the form of CD players, that's been replaced by the iPod. You can carry a
lot more music in your pocket on an iPod than you could on a CD player, but
it's the same music. So that's an incremental, small-scale improvement. We
had garden-variety cell phones before that. We had pay phones that you had
to walk up to and put a quarter in. And now smart phones combine computer
power with the ability to make a telephone call. But we're taking things
that had already been invented and we're just repackaging them in a more
convenient form. So that's the sense that these are not fundamental
inventions on the scale of things like electricity or inventing the motor
vehicle.

You'll also hear from recurring guest Tyler Cowen, whose recent book The
Great Stagnation echoes much of Gordon's argument. But Cowen is more
optimistic than Gordon that the U.S. can recapture its economic momentum,
as the subtitle of his book spells out: "How American Ate All the Low-
Hanging Fruit of Modern History, Got Sick, and Will (Eventually) Feel
Better Again."

- --

.

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ebo/

Read my 'essay' weblog, "Ecolonomics", at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ecolonomics/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/mobbsey-2011.asc