Shale Gas Industry Brings PSYOPs and Spy Ops to Poland

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Fri Oct 12 02:14:10 BST 2012

The Food and Water Europe press release is at --
http://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/pressreleases/spying%2Dactivities%2Don%2Danti%2Dfracking%2Dgroups%2Din%2Dpoland%2Dimpede%2Dopen%2Ddebate%2Dabout%2Dthe%2Drisks%2Dof%2Dshale%2Dgas/

P.

http://www.desmogblog.com/2012/10/10/shale%2Dgas%2Dindustry%2Dbrings%2Dpsyops%2Dand%2Dspy%2Dops%2Dpoland

Shale Gas Industry Brings PSYOPs and Spy Ops to Poland

Steve Horn, DeSmogBlog, Wednesday 10th October 2012

Roughly a year ago today in Houston, the shale gas industry was caught red-
handed discussing its use of military tactics and personnel on U.S. soil to
intimidate and divide communities in order to continue its fracking
bonanza.

In a gathering thought to be exclusively among friends, one industry public
relations professional representing Range Resources, Matt Pitzarella, said
his company utilizes psychological warfare (PSYOPs) tactics on citizens
living in the Marcellus Shale basin. The Marcellus is one of the epicenters
of the global hydraulic fracturing boom ("fracking").
http://desmogblog.com/gas%2Dfracking%2Dindustry%2Dusing%2Dmilitary%2Dpsychological%2Dwarfare%2Dtactics%2Dand%2Dpersonnel%2Du%2Ds%2Dcommunities

Matt Carmichael, External Affairs Manager at Anadarko Petroleum Corporation,
told attendees, "we are dealing with an insurgency," referring to citizens
concerned about the impacts of oil and gas development in their
communities. He advised the PR pros in the room to use the U.S. Army/Marine
Corps Counterinsurgency Manual, along with Donald Rumsfeld's book, as
guidebooks for suppressing dissent.

A year later, we're learning that the oil industry is taking its aggressive
military-style approach global. According to a press release published by
Food and Water Europe, the industry is spying on fracking critics in
Poland.

"Recent media reports from Poland show that heavy-handed tactics such as
spying and undercover operations are being used against groups and
individuals who question shale gas development," explains the release.
"Shale gas companies have sent spies to anti-fracking meetings and reported
their findings to the highest levels of the Polish government and internal
security services, according to reports in a Polish daily newspaper."

An internal government report provided by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
and conducted by shale gas investors was given to Gazeta Prawna, a Polish
newspaper. The Gazeta reported that anti-fracking activists have been
deemed to "breach public security and order" by the investors, serving as
the motive for the spy ops. This parallels anti-fracking activists in the
Marcellus Shale being labeled "insurgents" by Matt Carmichael, Manager of
External Affairs for Anadarko Petroleum Corporation at the Media and
Stakeholder Relations Hydraulic Fracturing Initiative conference held in
Houston in October 2011.

​This development is a breach of Article 10 of the European Convention on
Human Rights, which reads, "Everyone has the right to freedom of
expression. This right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to
receive and impart information and ideas without interference by public
authority and regardless of frontiers."

Fracking for commercial use has yet to begin in Poland, but as the
Associated Press reported in March, could begin in 2014. Voices of dissent,
though, are already being squealched before the fun has even begun.

“[L]ocal communities increasingly find that their concerns about the
environmental and health impacts of shale gas activities are not taken
seriously,” said Wenonah Hauter, Executive Director of Food and Water
Watch. “This lack of an independent, science-based assessment of risks
involved in shale gas in Poland is the reason why numerous local
associations there are not welcoming this industry with open arms.”

- --

.

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ebo/

Read my 'essay' weblog, "Ecolonomics", at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ecolonomics/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/mobbsey-2011.asc