12Oct12 Homelessness is San Francisco’s most visible problem

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Tue Oct 16 02:02:06 BST 2012

1. 171,000 UK single parents could lose their homes
http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/tenancies/171000-single-parents-could-lose-their-homes/6524164.article

2. On the streets of San Fran - Inside Housing - 12Oct12
Emacs!

Crumb (left) and Purple who describe themselves as travelling street kids
Homelessness is San Francisco’s most visible
problem. Lydia Stockdale visits the Californian
city to find out why its famously liberal
residents have decided to get tough to solve it
http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/care/on-the-streets-of-san-fran/6524182.article
A queue of tourists stands waiting for one of San
Francisco’s world-famous cable car trams to take
them away from downtown and up and over the city’s rolling hills.
None of the sightseers pays any attention when a
man stops in front of a nearby bin, sticks his
head inside and has a good rummage around. This
is the third indistinguishable person, grimy from
head to toe, to have rifled through this trash
can and even the kids in the line have stopped pointing.
Inside Housing is here in San Francisco, the
foggy home of the Summer of Love, where in 1967
hippies gathered in the hope of throwing off
conservative values, to embrace a new, more
liberated way of life. It’s a beautiful, densely
populated city that people across the globe dream
of visiting. But it has one problem that it just can’t hide: homelessness.
There are those whose eyes are vacant, who appear
to have checked out a long time ago; some who
babble incoherently pulling at their own hair or
bashing their fists together; and then there are
the individuals known locally as ‘panhandlers’,
who target tourist areas and beg for money.
‘I’m 70 and I’m freezing,’ pleads a man who looks
at least 100, feebly holding out a polystyrene
cup in front of passing shoppers.

A massive problem
On the last count, which took place on 27 January
2011, there are 6,445 homeless people living in
San Francisco, 3,106 of whom are classed as
‘unsheltered’, meaning they’re living either on
the streets, in vehicles or make-shift shelters.
By way of comparison, in London - a much larger
city both in terms of size and population -
homeless charity Broadway counted 5,678 rough
sleepers throughout the whole of 2011/12. This
works out to be around 500 on any one night.
San Francisco traditionally spends around $200
million a year trying to get homeless people off
the streets and into shelters, housing and
counselling. In fact, between 2003 and 2011, it
has built 2,146 units of accommodation taking the
total number of beds available from 1,595 to
3,741 and 660 more are planned for 2013. However,
homelessness still blights this place. Now the
city famed for its liberal values has turned to more hard-line measures.
Like the children in the queue, these
Californians are no longer shocked at what they
see, they just want the problem to go away, and
they’re willing to try tactics that might previously have been unthinkable.

Zero tolerance
In November 2010 a small majority - 54 per cent -
of the 284,625 residents who voted in a local
referendum opted for a sit/lie ordinance to be
introduced, making it illegal for people to sit or lie on the city’s sidewalks.
This way of effectively criminalising homeless
people - at least during the hours of 7am to 11pm
when they are most visible to the public - is not
new to the United States. Approaches vary
massively from state to state, but similar
ordinances have already been tried in approximately 77 towns and cities.
But if even the traditionally tolerant San
Franciscans have given up hope that more
supportive ways of addressing homelessness will
work, what does this mean for homeless people
elsewhere, including here in the UK?
Last year in London, rough sleeping rose by 43
per cent. In response we’ve already heard some
local authorities calling for a zero-tolerance
approach to be adopted. Westminster Council, for
example, has already announced that ‘begging will
not be tolerated’ within its boundaries.
‘Attitudes have shifted in the UK concerning how
tolerant we can, or should, be about people
sleeping rough on the streets,’ sums up Jeremy
Swain, chief executive of charity Thames Reach.
‘In situations where people sleeping rough are
given numerous offers of accommodation and other
support, but refuse to move off of the street,
then an enforcement approach, even the use of the
[UK] Vagrancy Act in some circumstances, may be
appropriate or necessary as this often leads to
the person accepting an accommodation option.
‘I don’t think we can continue to accept a
situation where people stay on the streets for
months and years, putting their health at risk
and sometimes creating problems for local communities,’ he adds.

Community concerns
In San Francisco, the introduction of sit/lie
laws came mainly as a result of calls for action
by members of the community, including shop
owners, in the Haight-Ashbury area. They felt
that ‘gutter punks’, groups of homeless young
people with dogs, were intimidating visitors, and this was affecting business.
This spring, however - more than a year after
police began to enforce the sit/lie law -
graduates involved in San Francisco’s City Hall
fellows programme surveyed 50 business owners in
Haight-Ashbury and found 60 per cent felt the
legislation had not helped to reduce the number
of homeless people loitering in front of their premises.
Dennis Culhane, a professor of social policy at
the University of Pennsylvania and an advisor to
the White House on homelessness, is not
surprised. ‘I suspect that when people pass these
ordinances it’s usually for scoring local
political points, but the police do not want to
spend all of their time going around moving
homeless people along and having to arrest them,
book them, charge them and process them through
the courts and the jails - it’s simply not a
sustainable kind of tactic,’ he says.
To really tackle homelessness, San Francisco, he
argues, needs to broaden its horizons. ‘The
[supportive housing] programmes there have been
very successful, but it’s clear that it hasn’t
gone to scale far enough,’ states Mr Culhane.
Amanda Kahn Fried, is deputy director for policy,
housing opportunity, partnerships and engagement,
in the San Francisco mayor’s office. She works
for mayor Ed Lee, the successor to Gavin Newsom,
who was the real political force behind the introduction of sit/lie.
‘Homelessness in San Francisco is often very
polarising,’ she says. ‘Mayor Newsom did a lot -
he was really focused on the issue, but almost
always his policies were really met with a lot of
opposition. I think that in this term with mayor
Lee, we have the situation where there’s a lot of
willingness from all sides to work together.’

Finding the cause
To find a solution, though, it’s necessary to
understand the root cause of San Francisco’s
homelessness problem, and even that is difficult.
‘People always talk about our climate having
something to do with it. It’s not always warm and
sunny, but it’s predictably fine,’ begins Ms Kahn
Fried. ‘And then we do have a number of really
excellent services. If I were homeless somewhere
else in the region it may make sense to come to
San Francisco - but that’s obviously not the full
picture. It’s very expensive to live here and
it’s hard to make it on a [government] subsidy alone,’ she continues.
Rents here are the highest in the entire US,
according to a report released in March by the
National Low Income Housing Coalition. A
two-bedroom property costs $1,905 (£1,179) on average per month.
‘You’ll see people panhandling [begging] here,
particularly downtown. A lot of them aren’t
actually homeless, many of them are housed, but
are living on a very low, fixed income. They may
be on social security getting around $875 [£541]
a month, and they would have to pay 30 per cent
[around £162] on their housing. That doesn’t
leave very much to get by on [around £379],’ explains Ms Kahn Fried.
‘Around 20 per cent of our street homeless are US
veterans and the city is working with the federal
[national] government’s Veterans Administration
and with the Department of Housing and Urban
Development, to develop supportive housing specifically for veterans.
‘There’s been a big federal push to end veteran
homelessness and in San Francisco we’re working
very hard to see that come to fruition,’ she adds.
According to the Coalition on Homelessness, a
homeless advocacy and social justice organisation
in San Francisco, around 30 per cent of those
living on the streets have mental health problems
- that’s if you include those with addiction problems.
Each ‘chronic inebriate’ costs the city $60,000
(£37,509) a year when their use of emergency
medical services, encounters with the police and
time in jail and detox centres are taken into
consideration, explains Ms Kahn Fried.
‘We’re working now to institute “wet housing”,’
she says. ‘We find that chronic alcoholics are
very social - they have a community on the street
- so we’re looking to have a specified housing
development for this population.’
The mayor’s office wants to replicate this type
of scheme which is already working further up the
west coast of America in Seattle, at a project called 1811 Eastlake.
‘Everyone wanted to move inside as they could go
in with their friends and be treated with dignity
- it’s reduced drinking by 40 per cent,’ says Ms Kahn Fried.
But White House advisor Mr Culhane warns against
getting too carried away. ‘You can’t address
homelessness on a demonstration project basis,’
he says. ‘Little initiatives always show that it
can be done - but you have to take it to scale.’
Unless politicians and residents can actually see
a difference, they’re not going to support
funding for programmes, he states. ‘You’ve got to
do it on a large enough basis so that people can actually see a difference.’

Insufficient resources
Bob Offer-Westort, civil rights organiser at The
Coalition on Homelessness, says his
organisation’s ‘fundamental viewpoint is that the
number one thing that needs to be done to solve
homelessness is increase access to affordable housing’.
The bad news, unfortunately, is that the waiting
list for affordable housing in San Francisco has
26,000 people on it and has been closed since
2009. The city’s scope for solving its homelessness crisis alone seems limited.
‘Local politicians can’t solve homelessness -
they don’t have the resources to do it, so more
cynical local politicians frequently advocate
criminalisation measures. We’re constantly trying
to fight against those and shift the discourse
from criminalisation to housing access,’ sums up Mr Offer-Westort.
Mr Culhane believes there needs to be a federal,
US-wide, rethink about how to finance a ‘more
complete solution to homelessness’.
He believes that the current administration’s
Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act,
commonly known as ‘Obamacare’, which was signed
into law by president Barack Obama in March 2010, could help with this.
Under the law, which is still working its way
through various complicated constitutional
processes, ‘every homeless person will be
eligible for Medicaid [healthcare insurance]’,
explains Mr Culhane. This means it could be used
to fund housing and support services.
During the first televised presidential election
debate, which took place last week, Republican
candidate Mitt Romney said he would axe Obamacare if he wins office.
‘I personally do not believe that if Romney did
win [the presidential election on 6 November] he
will be able to repeal the act,’ responds Mr
Culhane. ‘I think the Democrats will hold on to
the senate [the upper house of the US Congress].’
Maybe San Franciscans can still be convinced that
the city’s homeless people are not a lost cause.
Ms Khan Fried, for one, is optimistic. ‘The
political climate locally is really different now
and it opens up a lot of possibilities that may
have been more difficult in the past. The
direction and support from the federal government
continues to amaze us, so we’re really hopeful
that we’re going to make some significant progress in the next few years.’

Love and Haight
It’s 11.00am on a Tuesday in Haight-Ashbury, the
area of San Francisco made famous by the Summer
of Love, psychedelic rock and the Grateful Dead.
A steady stream of around 15 sleepy,
grubby-looking young people, most of them
carrying rucksacks and sleeping bags, make their
way up Haight Street in search of breakfast.
They’ve slept beneath the stars in Golden Gate
Park where they’re free from the sit/lie laws
that began to be enforced in the city early last
year, and now they’re heading to a drop-in centre
called the Haight Street Referral Center to get something to eat.
The cafés, vintage clothing and music shops are
open but the road is quiet. The calm is broken by
a boy who roars up the street on a skateboard,
pulled along by his dog. Then comes the sound of
an argument, one of the gang is in a war of words
with someone, a tourist or maybe a shopkeeper,
who has objected to him urinating in the street.
This is where calls for San Francisco’s sit/lie
laws began. These laws, which were enforced last
March, have made it illegal to sit or lie on the
city’s sidewalks between 7.00am and 11.00pm.
Through a public records request, local
newspaper, the San Francisco Chronicle, obtained
sit/lie statistics for enforcement. Over the 12
months to August this year, the police had issued
422 warnings, handed out 333 official ‘citations’
- each of which came with a fine of between $50
(£31) and $500 (£311) - and made 18 arrests.
Business owners here believed the presence of
youths like ‘Hero’ (pictured here with his dog
Karma), a 22-year-old originally from Colorado,
was scaring potential customers away. Those who
campaigned for sit/lie have since reported that
the legislation has not made a difference, but a
22-year-old girl who calls herself Purple says
the law has changed things around here.
‘People used to play music and sell jewellery,
they would sit down and hang out,’ she says. The
reason she and the others stick together in one
group and have big dogs is because it’s safer
that way, she explains. ‘Sit/lie was introduced
because people are fearful of what they don’t know.’
Purple ran away from home when she was 15, she
now makes money by selling ‘medical marijuana’
and has a place to live - but she chooses to
sleep rough with her friends. ‘I consider myself
to be a travelling street kid,’ she shrugs.
Another member of the group, a boy with
dreadlocks who refers to himself as Crumb, was
‘kicked out of home’ when he was 17. Now 22, he
explains he did recently have a job in a sandwich
shop, but ‘got the notion to take-off’. ‘I’d
lived the life of freedom and I loved it,’ he says.
Obama’s plan to help homeless veterans
Around a million soldiers will be discharged from
the United States military after returning home
from Iraq and Afghanistan over the next five years.
Dennis Culhane, a professor of social policy at
the University of Pennsylvania and director of
research for the National Centre On Homelessness
Among Veterans, which was established by the
Obama administration, estimates that around 5 per
cent of them will experience homelessness within five years of their return.
This amounts to 50,000 people - and this is in
addition to the 145,000 veterans, the majority of
whom are from post-Vietnam War era, who currently become homeless each year.
‘We’re trying to scale our prevention and rapid
rehousing approach to meet that demand,’ explains Mr Culhane.
He predicts that around 100,000 housing units
will be needed, adding that many of those who
become homeless will find their own solutions
without contacting the United States’ Veterans Administration for help.
 From this month, the US government will provide
$1.2 billion (£750 million) a year to help
homeless veterans across the US, around $300
million (£187 million) of which will be used for
longer term supportive housing. Before Barack
Obama became president, around $500 million
(£312.5 million) was invested annually.
The Department of Housing and Urban Development
has also committed to releasing 60,000 section 8
housing vouchers over the coming years. These
will be used by veterans who are able to find
private rented sector housing. They will then pay
30 per cent of their income on rent and the
federal government will make up the rest. Thirty
thousand of these vouchers have already been handed out.
www.globalresearch.ca
www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1407615751783.2051663.1274106225&l=90330c0ba5&type=1

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic poison which
alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung

Fear not therefore: for there is nothing covered that shall not be
revealed; and nothing hid that shall not be made known. What I tell
you in darkness, that speak ye in the light and what ye hear in the
ear, that preach ye upon the housetops. Matthew 10:26-27

Die Pride and Envie; Flesh, take the poor's advice.
Covetousnesse be gon: Come, Truth and Love arise.
Patience take the Crown; throw Anger out of dores:
Cast out Hypocrisie and Lust, which follows whores:
Then England sit in rest; Thy sorrows will have end;
Thy Sons will live in peace, and each will be a friend.
http://tinyurl.com/6ct7zh6