Getting the economy in a Pickles?

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Fri Oct 19 15:32:23 BST 2012

See http://www.communities.gov.uk/news/planningandbuilding/2238689

Eric Pickles' latest idea for the Conservative economic renaissance --
removing the ability of the public to complain or act and allowing
corporations to circumvent local controls/legal agreements:

# Giving the green light to "new gas infrastructure"... I think we know
what that fracking means! ;-)

# Overturning section 106 agreements that seek to recompense communities
for the impacts of development (e.g, by getting developers to pay for
schools, community facilities, etc. when building lots of new houses)

# Preventing red tape in the "digital divide" -- i.e. preventing people
complaining about the erection of more radio masts for 4G and wireless
Internet in rural areas.

# Preventing people registering land as village greens in order to stop
development.

# "Speeding up the planning system for large scale business and commercial
projects" -- i.e. allowing large companies to jump over local authority
control/local accountability by getting their applications passed through
central government/infrastructure commission.

There's an apocraphal statement attributed to Mussolini that "fascism is
the merger of state and corporate power".... well, what do you think?

:-(

P.

- --

.

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ebo/

Read my 'essay' weblog, "Ecolonomics", at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ecolonomics/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/mobbsey-2011.asc