Bristol Land Trust Housing project will open doors to less well-off

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sat Oct 20 01:06:06 BST 2012

Housing project will open doors to less well-off
Thursday, October 18, 2012
http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Housing-project-open-doors/story-17106801-detail/story.html

A FORMER school in Eastville is to be converted
into affordable housing after a trust bought the
plot from the council for just £1.

The Bristol Community Land Trust says it hopes to
become the first such organisation to develop
housing in a British city by converting the
Eastville Park School site on Fishponds Road.

A Community Land Trust is a not-for-profit,
community-based organisation that develops
housing at prices or rents that are kept permanently affordable.

BCLT intends to build 12 homes on the land
offered at discounted prices to buyers willing to
dedicate work to the site in return. The trust
hopes potential residents will benefit from
building their new houses with the help of fellow
trustees as they pool resources, tools and time.

Under the trust's plans, there will be six
three-bedroom houses and six one-bedroom flats available to trustees.

The homes will be offered at around two-thirds of
the market value or cheaper under a shared equity
scheme. Trustees who choose to commit are then
bound by rules restricting them from selling their homes on for profit.

Bristol Community Land Trust development officer
Anna Maloney told the Post: "It is the trust's
first project and potentially the first urban CLT project in the country.

"It demonstrates that Bristol is leading the way
in fresh thinking around housing and creating
opportunities for people that can't afford homes on the open market.

"We are now actively looking for people who would
be interested in doing the construction work on
these homes themselves, to get a reduced price or rent level."

The site at 325 Fishponds Road, Eastville, has
been derelict for a number of years. It will be
parcelled with some land from the current
Eastville Park depot to the rear of the site, and
sold to Bristol Community Land Trust for £1.

It will be the first site to be developed by the
Bristol Community Land Trust. Further sites in
the city are also currently being considered.

Councillor Anthony Negus, Cabinet Member for
Housing, Property and Regeneration, said: "This
is an exciting landmark in the history of house building in Bristol.

"I hope the disposal of this site to BCLT is the
first of many and will lead to the creation of many more affordable new homes.

"Empowering community land trusts to build
affordable homes is an important addition to our armoury.

"I hope that this particular scheme, in addition
to providing much-needed affordable housing in
Eastville, will also make a contribution to
regenerating the area which suffers from a number
of anti-social behaviour issues."

Bristol CLT chairman Keith Cowling said: "Bristol
CLT has been working closely with Bristol City
Council to bring this unused site back into use
for affordable housing for Bristolians. We are
therefore delighted with the announcement and
look forward to working with the Eastville
community and our members to create to first
community land trust project in any UK city."

For further information about Bristol Community
Land Trust visit www.bristolclt.wordpress.com
http://groups.google.com/group/uk-911-truth
http://www.youtube.com/user/PublicEnquiry
www.globalresearch.ca
www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1407615751783.2051663.1274106225&l=90330c0ba5&type=1

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic
poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung

Fear not therefore: for there is nothing covered
that shall not be revealed; and nothing hid that
shall not be made known. What I tell you in
darkness, that speak ye in the light and what ye
hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops. Matthew 10:26-27

Die Pride and Envie; Flesh, take the poor's advice.
Covetousnesse be gon: Come, Truth and Love arise.
Patience take the Crown; throw Anger out of dores:
Cast out Hypocrisie and Lust, which follows whores:
Then England sit in rest; Thy sorrows will have end;
Thy Sons will live in peace, and each will be a friend.
http://tinyurl.com/6ct7zh6