The last assault on England's commons?

Paul Mobbs mobbsey at gn.apc.org
Thu Oct 25 19:26:36 BST 2012

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/general/news/stories/2012/oct12/251012/251012_2

Town and village green registration regime changes mooted

Roger Milne, Planning Portal, 25th October 2012

Environment Secretary Owen Paterson has proposed a shake-up of the town and
village green (TVG) registration regime to weed out proposals designed to
block development.

The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs said the reforms
would see town and village green applications excluded for land which has
planning permission (or a publicised planning application) or is identified
for potential development in a local or neighbourhood plan (including draft
plans).

“There are already well over 4,000 existing TVGs and they will retain full
protection,” Defra said. “TVGs can continue to be registered where no
development is either proposed or the subject of ongoing community
consultation.”

The new arrangements are the subject of consultation and the plans are
incorporated in the Growth and Infrastructure Bill, just published.

The proposed legislation would also see the introduction of landowner
statements and enhanced fees for applications to amend registers under Part
1 of the Commons Act 2006.

The minister said: “Town and village greens are cherished community spaces,
and it’s absolutely right they continue to have the strongest protection.

“Yet the system can be abused to stop developments like affordable housing
from being built. We’re stamping down on the abuse of this law that can
effectively shut local communities out of deciding what development is right
for them.”

Find out more about the Town and Village Greens reforms.
http://www.defra.gov.uk/rural/protected/greens/

- --

.

(Edward Burrough, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul's book, "Energy Beyond Oil", is out now!
For details see http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ebo/

Read my 'essay' weblog, "Ecolonomics", at:
http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/ecolonomics/

email - mobbsey at gn.apc.org
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/index.shtml
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mei/mobbsey-2011.asc