Why A British Physics Teacher Stopped Believing The 9/11 Myth

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Tue Sep 11 21:18:49 BST 2012

We still have the right to know the truth

http://whyistoppedbelieving911myth.wordpress.com/
http://whyistoppedbelieving911myth.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/why-i-stopped-believing-the-911-myth1.doc

More than a decade on and the horrific attacks of
September 11th 2001 continue to cast a long
shadow over all of us. The ridiculous “war on
terror” that commenced after the Twin Towers had
crumbled to dust is still determining the foreign
and domestic policies of many governments throughout the world.
9/11, as the atrocity was quickly re-branded, has
been used to legitimise not only the subsequent
neo-imperialist adventuring into Afghanistan,
Iraq and beyond, but also the opening of
Guantanamo and with it, the approved use of
torture. At the same time, the “war of terror” is
still used to justify the escalating assault on
personal privacy, on freedom of speech, and our
right to dissent. The decade long crackdown on
civil and human rights that began with 9/11 has
now culminated in America with the removal of
habeas corpus – under the Obama authorised NDAA
2012, the indefinite detention of US citizens
being made permissible on the ill-defined grounds
of having “substantially supported” terrorists or
their “associated forces,” and without properly
defining what any of these terms precisely mean.
For all these reasons, 9/11 remains vitally
important, and yet the events of that terrible
morning have still never been properly
investigated. My attempt here is put forth
another challenge to the commonly held opinion
that the case should now be closed, and to shed a
little light into the many areas of darkness that
remain. In doing so I have tried to investigate
the details of the case as accurately as I can,
with objections to the official narrative being
backed up with more detailed footnotes. If there
are errors within my analysis then please feel
free to send updated evidence that refutes any of
my statements. On the other hand, if you are
simply intent to darken the debate with lies and
obfuscation then your comments will be deleted.
The survivors, the first responders, and the
families of the victims of the September 11th
attacks, many of whom continue their fight for a
full and independent inquiry, deserve our respect and our support.
It should be noted that these pages (which follow
sequentially) were originally written four years
ago in 2008 and that they have since been
collecting digital dust. I have decided to
release them now on the eleventh anniversary
because I think it is important that those who
call for a re-opening of the inquiry maintain
their commitment to the cause and so this
represents my own small contribution to the continuing the fight for justice.
Since 2008 the story has moved on in that Bin
Laden is now officially dead and buried. The
prime suspect in the 9/11 case has thereby been
eliminated and in consequence we will never hear
his testimony. Meanwhile, the end of Bin Laden
has not ended any of the wars that began in his name.
“During times of universal deceit, telling the
truth becomes a revolutionary act” – attributed to George Orwell

Why I Stopped Believing The 9/11 Myth
"Let us never tolerate outrageous conspiracy
theories concerning the attacks of September the
11th; malicious lies that attempt to shift the
blame away from the terrorists, themselves, away from the guilty."
George Bush addressing the United Nations General
Assembly on November 10th 2001.

It has become a media cliche that everyone
remembers what they were doing the day Kennedy
was assassinated, but it is a cliche that I
haven't heard in years (just about seven years to
be more accurate). Today we live with the
aftermath of a different event that binds the
collective psyche –  an event that was both more
terrible and more shocking. So shocking indeed
that, rather like death itself, it is still only
rarely mentioned in polite company.

I was teaching when I first heard news of what
was happening on the morning of September 11th
2001. I was trying to explain the importance of
error analysis in science to my latest class of
first year students, when one of them cut in.
Sorry, he said, can I just tell you something.
And then he began explaining how both of the twin
towers had been struck by aircraft and that the
first had already collapsed. You might easily
imagine that I had no idea at all what to say.
Certainly, I didn't reprimand him for listening
to his radio when he was supposed to be learning
about experimental uncertainty. I didn't even ask
him to turn the radio off. Instead I simply asked
him whether what he was telling me was true
(since it sounded like pure fiction) and then
after a few seconds of bewildered silence, I
turned back to the board and continued with the
lesson. But then I doubt there is anything you
could meaningfully say at such a moment.

Driving home, I put the radio on. With the
rolling accounts and reports, my dim imaginings
began to reify into a more solid horror. Arriving
back I wondered whether or not I should turn the
TV on to watch such carnage. It was obviously so
dreadful and I wondered what could justify
wanting to see it at all. Could I really have
become so ghoulish? I watched of course, and then
who didn't. We all had to watch the horror, if only to make it believable.

Next day, still trying to make sense of the new
reality, I went out for a walk by the river, and
I remember thinking how odd it was that nothing
had changed. That the river flowed by just as
reliably as ever, that the birds sang no less
surely, and that what had so irrevocably shaken
the world had somehow left no obvious indelible
mark away from its own margin. I realise, of
course, that these are more commonly the kinds of
thoughts that accompany a bereavement. But this
wasn't mourning in any ordinary sense, since you
cannot feel bereft of those you never knew – the
vicarious grief displayed at Diana's funeral a
few years earlier having been nothing but a grim
emotional tourism. No, the loss that so many of
us felt after September 11th was real and
different in kind from the morbidity in the
aftermath Diana's demise. It involved something like the loss of innocence.

Later, in the pub I got talking with some
friends. Aside from the horror there were still
many questions. Who did it and why? And what were
the likely repercussions? Already the media talk
was focussing on the effects to international
finance, but James, my economist friend, told us
that he didn't think the markets would be
seriously affected. (A matter on which he was
proved largely correct as it mapped out.) As for
who did it, well it just wasn't clear. Perhaps it
was another attack like the Oklahoma bombing,
carried out by an internal militia; after all,
prior to September 11th, Oklahoma had been the
most serious terrorist attack on American soil.
Certainly, there was no tangible evidence of
involvement by a militant Islamic group, or
obvious links to Osama Bin Laden. Such proof of
an Al Qaeda mission only came to light later, on
the day after the attacks, after the FBI had
discovered the car, hired by Mohammed Atta, and
subsequently abandoned at Boston airport. A
flight manual in Arabic and a copy of the Koran
had been left behind. And meanwhile, George W.
Bush, Condoleezza Rice and others in the
administration were maintaining that the
intelligence services had received no forewarning
of any sort of imminent attack. No clues
whatsoever that any group had plans to use
domestic airliners as missiles. Well, actually it
turns out that this wasn't quite true either.[1]

But hold on, already something is more profoundly
wrong here. Because within hours of the attacks
on the day itself, the news reports on American
networks were already talking about "all the
hallmarks of an Al Qaeda attack" (in spite of its
obviously unprecedented method and magnitude).
Pure conjecture and guesswork, then. Yet given
the surprise of the attacks, how on earth could
the networks have seemingly been more clued-up
than the White House. Well, it turns out that we've missed a bit again...

By an extraordinary fluke, we later learned that
Mohammed Atta's luggage had failed to meet its
connecting flight. And that, by virtue of this
good fortune, the FBI were, within only a few
hours, able to establish a list of details
including names, dates of birth, known
residences, visa status, for all of the
hijackers. This, at least, is the official story
(as it now stands – as opposed to the one we were
originally told), and so it follows that the
networks may indeed have known more than they
were letting on. Or does it go too far to
speculate that they may have received some form of special briefing?

*

But then another odd thing occurred. On September
16th, a video was broadcast on Al Jazeera in
which Osama Bin Laden denied all responsibility:

"I stress that I have not carried out this act,
which appears to have been carried out by
individuals with their own motivation."

To many, including myself, it seemed strange that
the orchestrator of such a devastating attack had
refused to take credit for his success. Oh, don't
worry about that, we were told, this is not the
way the Islamists do business. They much prefer
to lurk in the shadows. In any case, Mohammed
Atta's suitcase would provide reason enough to
send the first waves of troops into Afghanistan,
and the media's attention (which gets shorter by
the year) soon switched to covering the vastly
more exciting spectacle of war. As for Bin Laden,
well apparently, they'd be "smoking him out" and
bringing him home "dead or alive." But like many
things surrounding the September 11th attacks,
even the urgent manhunt for Bin Laden has been
largely forgotten. Bin Laden will surely never be
found and judging by later reports no one, and
least of all George Bush, is terribly bothered.

In any case, and as luck would have it again,
another video of Bin Laden was quickly unearthed.
Whilst carrying out their mission, U.S. forces
had stumbled on the tape, recovering it from the
ruins of house in Jalalabad. The tape, broadcast
on various news networks from December 13, 2001,
shows Bin Laden apparently laughing and joking
with Khaled al-Harbi[2], sharing delight in their
reminiscence of the atrocity, and of course,
freely admitting to their own responsibility. But
then it's just a videotape – a tape that many experts believe to be a fraud.[3]

*

At the time it never occurred to me that this
official version of events might be significantly
untrue. Certainly I was surprised by how quickly
the FBI had recovered their evidence, and there
were a few other reasons to doubt the whole truth
of the official version. Taking flight
simulations on a hijacking caused me to think
only of the hapless German pilot in the vintage
British comedy Those Magnificent Men in their
Flying Machines, desperately trying to avoid
descent into the sea whilst the pages of his
flight manual are blown to the wind. There was
also the more mind-boggling question of why one
of the alleged hijackers had packed his last will
and testament. I mean just what sort of goon
would bring their will when embarking on a
suicide mission? As for the miraculous survival
of a passport from one of the hijackers that
escaped the fires and the subsequent collapse of
the World Trade Centre, to float down fully
intact a few blocks away, well...[4]  Here was
George Monbiot's considered opinion at the time:

"Then there was the passport. The security
services claim that a passport belonging to one
of the hijackers was extracted from the rubble of
the World Trade Center. This definitive
identification might help them to track the rest
of the network. We are being asked to believe
that a paper document from the cockpit of the
first plane – the epicentre of an inferno which
vapourised steel –  survived the fireball and
fell to the ground almost intact. When presented
with material like this, I can't help suspecting
that intelligence agents have assembled the
theory first, then sought the facts required to fit it."[5]

But, but, surely that would mean the evidence was planted?

Yet, in spite of such ludicrous coincidences and
inconsistencies, and though undoubtedly it had
flashed through my mind that somehow the people
in charge – people I generally wouldn't trust to
tell me the correct time – might have contrived
just to "let it happen", well even this seemed a
wrongful thought. Not wrong, but indecent. As if I were treading on graves.

Over a year passed. Back home in America the
tough guys were now shifting the blame for
September 11th onto Saddam Hussein[6] This was
crazy, of course – surely everyone knew it wasn't
true. So in Britain we got the other story. The
one that said Iraq was swarming with so-called
WMDs – when the truth, as we all knew, was that
most of the world's "weapons of mass destruction"
are still mostly packed into silos in America. In
any case the media were already happily chasing
off in the new direction, as the bunker-busting
bombs in the Tora Bora mountains became
yesterday's news, and the sound of sabre rattling
toward Baghdad grew to a second crescendo.

Meantime, an official inquiry into the events of
September 11th had finally been opened in late
November (441 days after the dust first began to
settle on Ground Zero), though it would take a
further year and a half before, in summer 2004,
the Kean-Hamilton Commission issued their final
report. News of testimony from that inquiry
barely dribbled back to Britain, lost for the
most part amidst the rising tides of bellicose hysteria about Saddam's WMDs.

*

By 2004, I'd more or less stopped thinking about
September 11th. If Al Qaeda hadn't carried out
the attacks then surely it must have been another
terrorist group, and probably one with similar
Islamic origins and shared anti-American
intentions. The official story remained the only
credible account –  even when parts of that
account were altogether implausible. For
instance, what really did happen to Flight 93, or
the fourth plane? Had it really been brought down
in a courageous attempt by the passengers to
overthrow the hijackers? There certainly wasn't
much wreckage on the ground near Shanksville. And
how was it that yet another passport had survived
unscathed, along with an immaculate bandana, when
the plane itself was almost nowhere to be found?
Like many, I imagined that it had most likely
been shot down, which was not merely
understandable, but given such circumstances,
might have been obligatory. It was conceivable
that the more heroic Hollywood version had simply
been overwritten. Lies, perhaps, given the
circumstances did it really matter... hadn't America suffered enough already?

Then, out of the blue, my brother-in-law loaned
me a copy of a book entitled "9/11: The New Pearl
Harbour". You might be interested in this, he
told me, though admitting that he hadn't yet read
it himself. Suddenly my doubts were about to grow.

*

Authored by Christian theologian David Ray
Griffin, I really wasn't sure what I was
expecting to find as I first turned over the
pages. What I didn't expect was such a complex
and varied assortment of pieces. A welter of
detailed and well-reasoned criticisms and
questions. Griffin's assault picking at every
strand of the official story, and revealing how
it was compromised by more than a hundred serious
inconsistencies, retractions, and distortions.

Why, I wondered as I read on, were the mainstream
media not interested in the same questions that
Griffin was asking. Of the reports of prior
warnings, the curtailment of investigations that
might have closed the net on Mohammed Atta and
other hijackers, and most significantly the total
failure of air defences to intercept the planes
when such emergency interceptions are regularly
accomplished under standard and mandatory procedures.

All this was startling enough, but Griffin's
questions didn't end there. His book, which
correlates the findings of many researchers, was
certainly not afraid to venture down stranger
avenues and into darker corridors. For instance,
aside from disappearance of Flight 93, there was,
he points out, no substantial aircraft wreckage
found at the site of Flight 77 into the Pentagon.
So why, he asks, is the material evidence for
these two plane crashes so inconclusive?

But even all the bizarre questions surrounding
Flights 77 and 93 represented only a fraction of
Griffin's questions. And as if vanishing aircraft
wasn't already enough to be thinking about,
Griffin was also claiming that the World Trade
Center towers themselves may have been
intentionally brought down using explosive
charges. Now obviously that's just going too far.
It was time, I decided, to put the book down and come back to planet Earth.

*

Then, no sooner than I'd finished reading
Griffin's book, or at least as much of it as my
reason would then permit, there happened to be a
Channel Four documentary called The 9/11
Conspiracies.[7] It was the first extended
mainstream analysis of the subject – and it
claimed to have taken Griffin's book as its
template. Obviously I was interested.
Principally, I wondered what light it might shed
on the ineffectiveness of US air defences. Why
had the well-established procedures failed? And
what should we make of the evidence that Cheney
actually ordered a stand-down?[8] (Questions that
plainly deserved closer scrutiny.)

But, to my surprise (and at the time I genuinely
had higher expectations of the media) the
programme offered nothing in the way of fresh
insights. Systems failure and incompetence
supposedly explained everything away, whilst the
glaring fact that in the wake of such multiple
and egregious incompetence not a single
individual had been so much as reprimanded (let
alone prosecuted) wasn't deemed important enough
by the programme makers to even warrant
mentioning. In fact, as I quickly realised, the
programme makers had no real interest in testing
any of the challenges raised by Griffin's book,
preferring instead just to challenge the book itself.
Griffin must be wrong. This was the place from
where their own 'investigation' started – not
necessarily wrong in every detail but, more
importantly, wrong in his suspicions. The
approach then involved a kind of inverse
investigative journalism; setting off with the
officially sanctioned story, which was assumed
implicitly to be true, and then seeking to
discredit just as many claims made in the book as
time would permit – and given just fifty minutes
of airtime, just how deep could any  serious
investigation have delved into such a complex issue?

So it was the book and not the official story
that was on trial, which is rather odd when you
think about it? For one thing, it obviously
presupposes that the official investigations had
been thorough-going. Or why else begin from the
official story? Which is where we come back to
the primary objection made by Griffin in the
first place. For the Kean-Hamilton commission
inquiry on which the official story is based was,
as Griffin is constantly at pains to point out, a
total sham. So why have I still never seen any
mainstream documentary that challenges the 9/11 inquiry?

*

Now it's important to remind ourselves how the
inquiry first came about. It was not the US
administration, and certainly not the embarrassed
Pentagon, who had sought to get to the bottom of
whatever failures had occurred that day. Instead
it had been William Rodriguez, the former
caretaker of the World Trade Center, who having
helped so many others escape from the smoke and
flames inside twin towers was briefly recognised
as a national hero. It was Rodrigeuz along with
another brave group of four called "the Jersey
girls", each of whom had suffered the loss their
husband in the attack[9], who had pushed so hard
for an inquiry in the first place; the White
House showing no immediate or even later concern
for finding out the truth. As members of the
Family Steering Committee they were also in
attendance throughout the commission's hearings.

Here then are a catalogue of the key objections
which the Family Steering Committee make of the
Kean-Hamilton commission and its findings:

i)          that the entire investigation was
unduly delayed and grossly under-funded.

ii)         that every piece of evidence and line
of testimony included in the final report had to
be sanctioned by Philip Zelikow, a man who was
known to have extremely close ties with the White
House. Indeed, Zelikow's appointment had been
officially objected to by the Family Steering
Committee, having already successfully challenged
the appointment of none other than Henry Kissinger.

iii)         that the commission had not invoked
its powers to subpoena important witnesses,
whilst, additionally, a great deal of important
testimony was conducted in camera, and never made
available to public scrutiny – of the twelve
hundred plus witness testimonies, only around one
hundred and fifty having been publicly conducted.
Rodrigeuz tells us that the families had wished
the commission to hear the testimony of 17
firefighters and 22 survivors, but that none of
those selected was ever called. In any case, the
vast majority of the testimony that was given
then found no inclusion in the final report – by
way of an excellent example, the testimony of
Rodriguez had itself been conducted behind closed
doors and his evidence excluded from the final report.

iv)        Bush and Cheney were permitted the
quite extraordinary privilege of taking the stand
together. Their joint testimony, which was not
under oath, being neither recorded nor
transcripted, and presented under such secrecy
that neither the press nor even the families were
invited to attend. One can't help wondering why
Bush or Cheney actually bothered to turn up at all.

These then are the detailed criticisms, but more
generally, and as Griffin makes pains to
emphasise, the Kean-Hamilton inquiry – or more
properly "The National Commission on Terrorist
Attacks Upon the United States" – had been loaded
from the outset. It had set off with the
overriding presumption that Al Qaeda had carried
out the attacks and acted alone. This being
axiomatic, it logically followed that certain
avenues of inquiry couldn't warrant any formal
investigation. Questions about unusual
stock-market trading, for instance, were not
considered on the grounds that there could be no
probable connections to Al Qaeda. As for who
specifically funded the mission, well, it hardly
mattered – after all, US Special Forces would
find them cowering in a cave soon enough.

According to Griffin then, the commission's final
report was inevitably incomplete and inaccurate
because the commission itself had been obstructed
and very deliberately misdirected – points which
Kean and Hamilton have since acknowledged,
washing their hands of the matter in a jointly
authored work called Without Precedent: The
inside story of the 9/11 commission.[10]

Griffin's main charge is indeed the whole 9/11
Commission inquiry had been flawed by design.
This very serious charge is also leveled by other
serious 9/11 investigators, and, perhaps most
significantly, by many of those who actually
attended the hearings. Yet the programme makers
at Channel 4 made the decision to ignore all
criticism relating to the independence and
inadequacies inquiry itself, and by doing so they
had misrepresented the biggest part of Griffin's case entirely.

*

There are few more perplexing questions regarding
the attack of September 11th than those
surrounding the crash of Flight 77 into the
Pentagon. I mean surely we should be certain by
now that the Pentagon was at least hit by a
plane. Or at least we would be, but for the
unhelpful fact that videos from cameras in the
near vicinity which ought to have conclusively
shown a Boeing 757, were immediately confiscated
and most of the footage has never been publicly
released. So we've been left with a few frames of
footage from just two cameras within the Pentagon
itself that somehow got leaked onto the internet.

This wouldn't be so bad if the hole in the
Pentagon had actually been wide enough for such a
large aircraft to have smashed through it. But
the hole was barely big enough to contain even
the fuselage, so we have been told to believe
that the wings and the tail fin must have folded
back on impact. Now, as a physicist, I feel very
uncomfortable with this unlikely explanation. The
rapid change of direction of the massive engines
that would be required seems to be in
contradiction of everything I understand from the
laws of inertia and the conservation of momentum.
Perhaps it is possible, but the forces required
would need be extraordinary. Huge resistance in
parts of the wall where the wings collided and
relatively little where the nose-cone impacted.
By reconstructing a similar impact involving an
identical plane flown by remote control into an
identical wall, we could find for certain, but of
course, such a reconstruction is unlikely to ever happen.

Many (pilots included) have also asked if such an
extraordinary flight-path was actually possible
at all, given the obstacle course of street-lamps
and the fact that airliners are not designed to
fly at high speed so close to the ground? Which
is another thing that could easily be tested one
way or the other given a brave enough pilot. And
finally, could Hani Hanjour, an amateur pilot of
questionable abilities[11], ever have
accomplished such a feat? Executing such an
incredibly tight and controlled final manoeuvre
that air traffic controllers assumed this was the
track of a fighter jet. Such "sophisticated"
piloting even impressed one-time flying ace
George W. Bush, at least if we accept the account
of the final 9/11 commission report.[12]

But then, in May 2006, and thus also half a
decade after the attack, there was a breakthrough
of sorts. One of the questions still hanging so
perplexingly suddenly got a headline mention on
the ITN ten o'clock news (followed-up by a
fifteen minute slot on BBC2's Newsnight that same evening).

Bong! Here is the news. Bong! Pentagon releases
new security camera footage. Bong! New pictures
show a Boeing did strike the Pentagon. Bong!

These were glad tidings of a sort. After all, if
Flight 77 hadn't hit the Pentagon then what had,
and more perturbingly, what had happened to the
plane that took off with its passengers and crew?
And here again, the official story is
astonishing. To account for why so little of the
plane was actually recovered, the explanation is
that most of the wreckage was either destroyed by
the explosive impact or vaporised by the intense
fires. Yet this theory, extraordinary as it is,
becomes still more astounding again when one
considers that in spite of the disappearance of
most of the plane wreckage, investigators still
managed to recover and the positively identify
the remains of nearly all 189 victims from DNA
samples.[13] So how could a fire that incinerated
almost all of the aluminium and titanium wreckage
of the plane itself, not also have incinerated
most of the human remains? Comparison with the
magic passport found at the World Trade Center is obvious enough.

Symptomatic of the kinds of anomaly that riddle
the official version of events, the unsettling
implications in this instance altogether defy
cool-headed reason. I mean, what are we to make
of the eyewitnesses who reported seeing the
plane, immediately prior to, or actually
impacting the building. Surely if people saw a
plane... well, then there must have been a plane.
And yet it is well understood and accepted that
eye-witness testimony is extremely unreliable.

So just imagine for a second, that you'd seen
what appeared to be a low flying missile cross
the lawns that front the Pentagon. What would you
think? Keep in mind how quickly this would all
unfold. Chances are you'll only see the last
moments of its flight. Keep in mind that you've
probably never seen a missile before in your
whole life. Was it a missile or something more
familiar? And what if others, including news
channels across the world, quickly confirmed that
it was indeed a plane –  could you still be sure?
This is the problem with eyewitness accounts, and
especially ones involving extraordinary and
traumatic events. So unlike the eyewitness
reports, clear video footage of the attack would
finally put the whole matter to rest once and for
all. If videos had captured a plane rather than a
missile then the matter was closed... I the news
watched expectantly and hopefully.

But what was this? Pictures, yes, but showing
what precisely? A Boeing 757? Where was the
Boeing 757?  In fact there was nothing new at all
in this supposed news. Just the same old footage
that had mysteriously been leaked onto the
internet years some beforehand, and one or two
additional frames slipped in, but that was all.
On one of the newly released frames, there
appeared to be some kind of flying object, but,
as bad luck would have it, the flying object
itself was almost entirely obscured behind a
post. Almost nothing of it was visible except for its thin vapour trail[14].

And then, on the following frame, nothing but an
intensely white explosive impact, transformed
into bright orange on the next and the next. But
no trace whatsoever in any of the available
frames that even halfway resembled a commercial
airliner. So why did the newscaster insist that
this was the new film which finally showed a
plane crashing? Why was I hearing one thing as I watched something else?

The fact that the video evidence is still
withheld leaves us with two alternatives. Either
The Pentagon have something to hide, or, more
curiously, they are wanting us to suspect that
they have something to hide. But we have the
right to know, and there can be justification for
failing to publicly present such vital evidence.

*

If it was Griffin's book that had first ignited
my suspicions about the official story of the
events on September 11th, then it has been the
response of the media that fanned the flames. No
television network or mainstream newspaper has
respectfully represented any challenges to the
official story. No mainstream outlet has even
seriously examined the 9/11 Commission itself.

In seven years, I have seen just two documentary
examinations of 9/11 – the aforementioned one on
Channel 4, and a later documentary made by the
BBC called "911: The conspiracy files", which,
though more comprehensive and rather slicker than
the Channel 4 offering, was hardly more
objective. (And for a fuller response to the
BBC's mistreatment feel free to read my formal
letter of complaint in Appendix A.[15])

I estimate that in Britain, and out of a total
quarter of a million hours, there have been less
than three hours of designated terrestrial
airtime given over to re-examining the evidence
on September 11th. The media silence has been
deafening. And the justification for such
mainstream disinterest is simple and can be
summed up in just two words: "conspiracy theory".

This is a perjorative, of course, which is meant
to be unconsciously translated and understood to
mean “paranoid rubbish”. Latent within it is an
absolute denial to free speech, if only on the
basis of embarrassment and taboo, and yet it is a
surprisingly powerful tool for enforcing the
permitted boundaries to what we may be allowed to
ask and what we dare to really think. These same
two words, “conspiracy theory”, nowadays
providing our governments and their many useful
servants within the media, with a quick and
convenient means of shutting down all kinds of
legitimate public debate. We hardly need the
Thought Police when we can be trained to so
assiduously police our own thoughts.

*

A few commentators on the Left have been
particularly vocal in their attacks against those
calling for a re-opening into the investigation
of 9/11. Regarding the perpetuation of such
errant nonsense as a sort of disease, they
caution that lurking behind all the jumbled
thinking that really doesn't add up to a hill of
beans, a dangerous credence is lent, whether
intentionally or otherwise, to reactionary
standpoints and also to racial (specifically
anti-Semitic) bigotry. At best, they say, the
"truthers" are misguided people searching for
simple answers in a complex and frightening world
– conspiracy theories are, after all, a comfort blanket.

"There is a virus sweeping the world." George
Monbiot intones, his words drawing humorously on
Marx's famous opening to the Communist Manifesto,
"It infects opponents of the Bush government,
sucks their brains out through their eyes and
turns them into gibbering idiots. First
cultivated in a laboratory in the US, the strain
reached these shores a few months ago. In the
past fortnight, it has become an epidemic.
Scarcely a day now passes without someone
possessed by this sickness, eyes rolling, lips
flecked with foam, trying to infect me."[16]

This new scourge is, at least according to
Monbiot, distracting opponents of Bush and Blair
from the real issues of illegal wars and the rise
of a global corporate hegemony threatening us
all. It is, after all, "a coward's cult".

"There is no reasoning with this madness. People
believe Loose Change because it proposes a closed
world: comprehensible, controllable, small.
Despite the great evil that runs it, it is more
companionable than the chaos that really governs
our lives, a world without destination or
purpose. This neat story draws campaigners away
from real issues – global warming, the Iraq war,
nuclear weapons, privatisation, inequality –
while permanently wrecking their credibility.
Bush did capitalise on the attacks, and he did
follow a pre-existing agenda, spelt out, as Loose
Change says, by the Project for the New American
Century. But by drowning this truth in an ocean
of nonsense, the conspiracists ensure that it can
never again be taken seriously."[17]

And here's Monbiot again, two weeks later with
the same diagnosis, writing in his Guardian
comment beneath the banner "Bayoneting a scarecrow":

"Why do I bother with these morons? Because they
are destroying the movements which some of us
have spent a long time trying to build. Those of
us who believe that the crucial global issues
–  climate change, the Iraq war, nuclear
proliferation, inequality – are insufficiently
debated in parliament or congress; that corporate
power stands too heavily on democracy; that war
criminals, cheats and liars are not being held to
account, have invested our efforts in movements
outside the mainstream political process. These,
we are now discovering, are peculiarly
susceptible to this epidemic of gibberish."[18]

Yet as Monbiot openly admits, he is attacking a
straw man, and the straw man he chooses
principally to bayonet is the internet-hit
documentary film called “Loose Change”. A tightly
edited montage of collected footage, put together
on home computers by a small group of amateur
film-makers led by Dylan Avery, it was the first
film to present any overall catalogue of the
sorts of hanging questions than are still
awaiting answers. As a first attempt, it got
things wrong and speculated too wildly, and it
became hugely successful mainly because it filled
a vacuum that the mainstream media had left.

Unfortunately, by presenting such an astonishing
weight of evidence, there is an inherent weakness
to the Loose Change formula. Why? Because truly
the questions surrounding the events of September
11th come from so many and such various
directions, and in consequence such a broad-brush
approach makes for mountains of research whilst
leaving writer and director, Dylan Avery, open to attack from all directions.

What are the chances that Avery will be right on
every assertion, when he doesn't even pretend to
be. But then why does George Monbiot feel it's
his responsibility to discredit “Loose Change”?
Why not face the argument squarely, and consider
the objections of others more qualified to speak,
rather than attempting to discredit the whole
issue of any kind of 9/11 cover-up through ad
hominem attacks on those much less respected than
himself? Instead of obsessing over the rights and
wrongs of the analysis of Dylan Avery and David
Ray Griffin, he might more bravely have picked
his fight with someone his own size or even
bigger. There have been plenty of potential targets:

"If my books are moronic nonsense," wrote David
Ray Griffin in angry response to Monbiot's
column, "then people who have endorsed them must
be morons. Would Monbiot really wish to apply
this label to Michel Chossudovsky, Richard Falk,
Ray McGovern, Michael Meacher, John McMurtry,
Marcus Raskin, Rosemary Ruether, Howard Zinn, and
the late Rev. William Sloane Coffin, who, after a
stint in the CIA, became one of America’s leading
civil rights, anti-war, and anti-nuclear activists?

"If anyone who believes that 9/11 was an inside
job is by definition an idiot, then Monbiot would
have to sling that label at Colonel Robert
Bowman, former head of the U.S. “Star Wars”
program; Andreas von Bülow, former State
Secretary in the German Federal Ministry of
Defense; former CIA analysts Bill Christison and
Robert David Steele; former Scientific American
columnist A. K. Dewdney; General Leonid Ivashov,
former chief of staff of the Russian armed
forces; Colonel Ronald D. Ray, former U.S. Deputy
Assistant Secretary of Defense... "[19]

Griffin might also have added the names of former
Italian President, Francesco Cossiga; the
so-called "Father of Reagan-omics", Paul Craig
Roberts; former FBI translator Sibel Edwards; and
respected political commentator, Gore Vidal, who
had close personal acquaintance with the Kennedy
family, and so presumably knows a thing or two
about politics and power. (And it is worth noting
that Gore had even publicly endorsed Griffin's book.[20])

Then we come to Noam Chomsky. Chomsky, the grand
old man of the intellectual Left, who has devoted
so many years to studying and uncovering the
Machiavellian politics of his homeland. Using
what he knows from linguistics and psychology,
Chomsky has done much to elucidate how propaganda
and media manipulation are used. He has so often
written and spoken about how the elite are able to "manufacture consent".

You would think that Chomsky is hardly the sort
to accept things at face value – to trust in any
official story. Yet, when it comes to 9/11,
Chomsky finds no good reason to challenge the
official story at all, showing no interest
whatsoever in any of the questions raised. That
passport which certainly worried Monbiot, at
least in the early days, doesn't even raise an
eyebrow. The odd lapses in security and air
defense are brushed aside. The strange money
transfers and dodgy stock-market deals are of no
concern. But he also takes a different tack to
Monbiot – and a far less confrontational one.
When asked about 9/11, he says this:

"Did they plan it in any way? Or know anything
about it? This seems to me extremely unlikely. I
mean for one thing they would have had to have
been insane to try anything like that. If they
had it's almost certain that it would have
leaked... secrets are very hard to keep... and if
it had they would have all been before firing
squads and the end of the Republican Party
forever... it was completely unpredictable what
was going to happen. You couldn't predict that a
plane would actually hit the World Trade Center.
Happened it did but could easily have missed...
so you could hardly control it."[21]

But this mixes the whole lot up together. Since
they couldn't control all the events, Chomsky
simply presumes that they couldn't even have
known anything about it. Truly this is a non
sequitur unworthy of a man of Chomsky's obvious
intelligence. And he is also strangely off-target
in his assessment of the scientific evidence, telling his audience:

"Anyone who knows anything about the sciences
would instantly discount that evidence. I mean
there's plenty of coincidences and unexplained
phenomena – you know and why did this happen and
why did that happen and so on – but if you look
at a controlled scientific experiment same thing
is true. I mean when somebody carries out a
controlled scientific experiment at the best
laboratories, at the end there are a lot of
things that are unexplained. There are funny
coincidences and this and that... That's the way
the world is. And when you take a natural event –
not something that's controlled – most of it will be unexplained."

Well, I'd say that it's a pretty poor sort of a
scientist who at the end of a controlled
experiment concludes: "Geez, I don't know – I
guess some sort of weird shit just happened."

In truth, Chomsky brings nothing to the debate at
all. Like Monbiot and many others, he prefers to
stick to more "serious issues". Any idea of
re-opening the inquiry is not a serious
consideration apparently, but a distraction from
issues that matter, and that's the end of it.
Well, that's almost an end to it – but Chomsky
also says something more astonishing. He suggests
that uncovering the truth wouldn't help those of
the political left in any case, which then brings
him to reach this altogether startling conclusion:

"I mean even if it were true – which is extremely
unlikely – who cares? I mean it doesn't have any significance"

So there we have it: Noam Chomsky actually
dismisses what might conceivably be the greatest
manufacturing of consent in history, as a matter
without significance. And this revered political
activist and humanist says of the cold-blooded
murder of 3000 people "who cares." I must confess
that when I first heard him say this, I was dumbfounded.

*

The official story remains so absolutely riddled
with omissions, contradictions, and quite
outrageous coincidences that I must restrict
myself to outlining and summarising only a sample
of the most troubling of these lingering questions:

i)  What happened to America's air defences on
the morning of September 11th? It is a statutory
procedure that once an aircraft has wandered off
its flight-path, fighter planes must be sent up
to investigate. This is a common occurrence and
interceptors are stationed and ready to intercept
such flights within a few minutes. So why weren't
any of the flights intercepted?

The official explanation is bad luck and
incompetence, but this does little to explain how
Flight 77 apparently crashed into the Pentagon
over fifty minutes after it was first
commandeered. Just how could a commercial
airliner, flown by an amateur pilot, have so
successfully evaded all attempts at interception,
and collided into what one might reasonably
presume to be the world's most well defended
buildings around an hour later? Surely that's
more than enough time for the entire US defences to thwart such a plan.

It would be perfectly justifiable to draw the
line right there. To say this is too much already
– that it is simply impossible – and that only a
“stand down” order could have prevented any such
attempted attack from being instantly shot out of
the sky – but then if we scratch a little deeper
another truth begins to reveal itself. Because it
turns out that on the morning of September 11th,
the US military was engaged in a number of
war-game activities – and although only one,
Vigilant Guardian, is included in the 9/11
Commission report, there is actually evidence of
multiple war-game exercises. It was these, many
believe, that hampered and delayed the response.

You may recall the desperate air-traffic
controller asking "Is this real world or
exercise?" A full transcript of this dramatic
conversation is laid out on page twenty of the
9/11 Commission report.[22] But for an actual
reference to the on-going war game exercise that
was causing such terrible confusion in the first
place, we need also to follow to a footnote. It reads:

"On 9/11, NORAD [the North American Aerospace
Defense Command] was scheduled to conduct a
military exercise, Vigilant Guardian, which
postulated a bomber attack from the former Soviet
Union. We investigated whether military
preparations for the large-scale exercise
compromised the military's response to the
real-world terrorist attack on 9/11. According to
General Eberhart, "it took about 30 seconds" to
make the adjustment to the real-world situation.
Ralph Eberhart testimony, June 17, 2004. We found
that the response was, if anything, expedited by
the increased number of staff at the sectors and
at NORAD because of the scheduled exercise."[23]

So what do we learn from this – aside from the
fact that the Cold War is presumably on-going.
Well the question is, had US air defences been
compromised in some important way by this
"large-scale" war-game exercise? And the given
answer – no, no, not in the least, quite the
opposite in fact: the exercise purportedly having
"expedited" the normal military response! – and
yet this purported enhancement to US air-defence
response wasn't finally incapable of protecting
the Pentagon against the nose-dive of a
relatively slow moving and unarmed passenger plane.

ii) What has happened to so much of the physical
evidence? Where, for instance, are the security
camera images showing the passengers and
hijackers boarding the doomed flights? The
pictures we have been shown only involve their
arrival of two of the hijackers meeting a
connecting flight. But then why weren't the
hijacker's names recorded on the flight lists?
Whilst regarding the disappearance of more solid
objects, and aside from the surprising lack of
wreckage of the planes themselves (especially
around the crash site in Shanksville), what
became of almost all of the flight-box recorders?
At the World Trade Center it seems that
everything was more or less crushed out of
existence, with not a single one of the four
flight box recordings having been recovered. But
then there's the passport which somehow floated
away unscathed. Entire fuselages are missing and
yet significant pieces of clothing and paper
documents kept on handily turning up. The
disappearance or else sudden emergence of so much
of the material evidence being altogether too miraculous.

iii) Perhaps most importantly of all, what are
the actual links remain between the US
intelligence and Al Qaeda? And what are we to
make of the $100,000 wired to Mohammed Atta by
the Pakistani secret service ISI. This especially
surprising given that the head of ISI was
actually on a visit to Washington during the time
of the attacks. On the morning of September 11th
the ISI chief, Lt. General Mahmoud Ahmad, was
having breakfast with senator Bob Graham and the
soon-to-be crowned as first Director of the
Central Intelligence Agency[24], Porter Goss. But
odder again, the FBI has still never claimed that
Osama Bin Laden had any links to the September
11th attacks – though he has, of course, been
asked to help with some of their other inquiries[25].

iv) The behaviour of George Bush at the Booker
Elementary School in Sarasota is also surprising.
Arriving at the school, he is aware of the first
plane crash into the World Trade Center, but
apparently believes it be an accident. Then a
whisper into his shell-like informs him that
another plane has hit the second tower. So
America is obviously under attack and presumably
he could be next. His response? To continue
reading that story about the pet goat. But then
Bush is an incompetent buffoon, right? So he's
acting like a rabbit caught in the headlights. Okay then fine.

But what of the security service who were there
to protect him – shouldn't they have taken
executive action? Well, the fog of war had
descended, and so everyone was panicked and
confused. However, the story suddenly gets
stranger again when three months after the
attack, Bush himself decides to describe his own
part in the events, and it goes like this:

"I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to
go in and I saw an aeroplane hit the tower. You
know the TV was obviously on and I used to fly
myself – I said: "There's one terrible pilot" and
I said it must have been a horrible accident. But
I was whisked off then and didn't have much time to think about it."[26]

Isn't that interesting, because what he says is
perfectly impossible. There was no TV footage of
the first plane hitting the tower. What we've all
watched is a video of the impact (captured by
French film-makers the Naudet brothers who, by
coincidence, happened to be making a film about
the NYFD) that wasn't made available until the
following day. So what's going on here? Did Bush
really have privileged access to a secret
transmission, or was he just getting his facts
mixed up as usual? Can't he even accurately
remember what he was doing on the morning of September 11th 2001?

Now Bush obviously has a natural advantage here.
How so? Because he's a well-known moron. A man
who once said, and with no less conviction than
any of his other banal utterances: "I know that
human beings and fish can co-exist peacefully."
In a saner world, the voting public would have
sat up and taken notice. Here's a man so
disconnected from his own mind, they would have
said, that he mouths gibberish beyond all
comprehending. So why be suspicious then? I mean
why would anyone want to bother Bush with a
secret transmission, especially when he's already
got that pet goat to be worrying about? But such
questions are not mine to answer.

When the time comes, with enough people demanding
that the 9/11 investigation simply has to be
re-opened, it will be for Bush to be
cross-examined on those remarks and on his
conduct more generally that day. Taking the stand
alone and without Cheney's shoulder to lean on,
having actually sworn to tell the truth, the
whole truth and nothing but the truth: an oath we
can surely expect such a devout Christian to
honour. His testimony may or may not prove
insightful. Whatever the outcome I'm sure he'll
welcome the opportunity to get a few things off
his chest, and to finally dispel any lingering suspicions.

*

For the last few years I have spent a lot of time
looking for answers to the questions still
hanging over the events of September 11th, but
the longer I've searched for answers the more the
questions have mounted up. Perhaps the most
extraordinary question I've struggled over is
this one: what caused the collapse of the Solomon
Brothers Building at the World Trade Center (also
known as World Trade Center building 7)?

When I'd first come across the collapse of WTC7
in Griffin's book I'd put it mentally aside,
considering both irrelevant and more or less
preposterous. Why bang on about another building
collapse, I wondered, when it obviously has
nothing to do with the main event. After all,
WTC7 fell at 5:20 pm., almost seven hours after
the collapse of the twin towers, and since no
planes had impacted then it's logical to conclude
that the collapse must have been a consequence of
structural damage sustained by falling debris
from the twin towers. So what was the big fuss about?

Well, they say that seeing is believing. So it's
one thing to read about the spontaneous collapse
of a forty-seven storey skyscraper, but quite a
different thing to see it. And on this occasion,
quite a number of amateur film-makers had
captured the event; films that would on most
other days have made the headline news. A huge
Manhattan skyscraper melting into a cloud of
dust. "Amazing, incredible, pick your word..."
This is not my description but the spontaneous
response of veteran newscaster Dan Rather, seeing
the footage for the first time. Immediately afterwards, Rather adds:

"It's reminiscent of those pictures we've all
seen too much on television before, when a
building was deliberately demolished by well-placed dynamite to knock it down."

On seeing it then, the questions hanging over the
collapse of WTC7 became perfectly obvious. For it
certainly looks for all the world like a classic
demolition: a tall building descending perfectly
upright, sinking rapidly and smoothly beneath the
city skyscape. Telescoping into itself, almost
magically, similar in kind to the earlier
collapses of each of the twin towers – which
likewise took only a few seconds – although WTC7
falls a little differently. Whereas each of the
main towers had crumbled from around the impact
zones, here the collapse clearly takes place at
the base, which is indeed just like those films
of every other explosive demolition I've ever
seen. Not that appearance alone is proof of
demolition, of course. But why had I never seen
this extraordinary footage before I wondered?

Well, one reason is that thankfully no-one was
killed, the building having been evacuated
earlier in the morning. Whilst another, perhaps,
is that like a good many things it was buried in
the mayhem of that day. Lost in the chaos and
forgotten along with – amongst many incidents –
the capture of suspected terrorists driving a van
loaded with explosives on the George Washington
Bridge. Whatever happened to those other goons, I wonder.[27]

But there is an even more astonishing part to the
story of the collapse of WTC7. For it turns out
that the BBC had indeed reported on its collapse
later in the evening (about the time many in
Britain were asleep). As it transpires, however,
they hadn't reported the collapse quite late
enough, because directly at the time of
broadcast, WTC7 itself hadn't actually collapsed!

Am I sure? Positively certain. The pictures are
irrefutable. WTC7 is very clearly visible and
very evidently intact, and almost directly over
the shoulder of the news reporter Jane Standley
as she is exaggerating its earlier demise. Indeed
WTC7 was to stand for a good ten minutes longer,
outlasting the live link, which being abruptly
lost may perhaps have saved our reporter the
indignity of turning around to see it disappear for real.

When recordings of this blunder first appeared on
the internet, the BBC were quick to dispel all
rumours. We didn't receive a special advance
warning of the WTC7 collapse, they assured us,
and in this regard I happen to believe them. For
starters, they weren't first to report the event
– that dubious honour goes to CNN, who reported
its collapse an hour earlier again.[28] But don't
the chaps at CNN or the BBC actually check their
information before a broadcast? Obviously, this is a rhetorical question.

There is another point here: for how did anyone
have such expert foresight to know that WTC7 was
even on the point of catastrophic failure? Was it
simply a piece of inspired guesswork from whoever
at Reuters first released the story? And what had
led newscaster Philip Hayton into speculations that:

"It seems that this was not the result of a new
attack. It was because the building had been
weakened during this morning's attacks."

Please remember that this is at a time when the
building is still standing perfectly square!

And there's very little precedence for
steel-framed skyscrapers suffering such
catastrophic collapse. In fact prior to September
11th there were precisely no cases in history. So
given that the North and South Towers had
apparently been felled due to the highly
exceptional impacts of the jetliners, then why
should anyone at all – let alone a BBC newscaster
– begin supposing that a different skyscraper, a
few blocks removed, and hours later, would to succumb to an exactly same fate?

*

The BBC has very recently had a whole lot more to
say about the collapse of WTC7. Since I penned my
remarks above, they have devoted a further hour
long documentary to this single issue.[29], its
release timed to coincide with the soon to be
announced final conclusions from the National
Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). And
in contrast to the earlier BBC broadcast, on this
second outing of The Conspiracy Files: 9/11, the
programme did at least address the central issues
of the case, rather than drawing attention only
to the least plausible and most peripheral of the many claims.

For instance, it presented the testimony from
eyewitnesses who said they definitely hadn't
heard explosions in any of the towers, which
challenges the testimony of the many others,
including William Rodrigeuz, who are equally
adamant that they did.[30] Rodrigeuz indeed goes a great deal further.

Aside from describing an explosion in the
basement that quite literally blew him off his
feet, and caused serious injury to many around
him, he further claims that this basement
explosion occurred seconds prior to the impact of
the first plane. But this got no mention of
course – after all the programme was about the
collapse of WTC7, "the third tower". So we heard
instead from an eyewitness who said he saw
substantial fires in WTC7, fires which had caused
its walls to visibly bow outwards, such that it
was quite obviously in imminent danger of
collapsing. Yet this again is a direct
contradiction to the accounts of others who
insist that the damage appeared more
superficial.[31] But then eyewitness reports are
notoriously unreliable. So who are we to believe?

Well, one person who were featured in the
programme was Barry Jennings, the deputy director
of the Emergency Services Department of the New
York City Housing Authority. Jennings along with
another man called Michael Hess, of New York
City's corporation counsel, had independently
headed to the Office of Emergency Management's
Emergency Operating Center. The EOC was a special
bomb-proof bunker which had years earlier been
built high up into the 23rd floor of WTC7.

Jennings says that he was expecting to be met by
Mayor Rudy Giuliani, but instead had found the
place had been deserted, going on to describe how
they even found half-eaten sandwiches and still
warm cups of coffee. Wondering what was going on,
Jennings says he phoned down and was told to
leave the building immediately. However, before
they had reached the lobby, Jennings says there
was a big explosion, which forced both men to
climb back to the eighth level where they remained trapped for several hours.

Jennings, still bruised and covered in dust,
relates this whole story via a live link to the
on-the-scene reporter for ABC news. Shortly after
their rescue by fire-crews, another on-the-spot
reporter, Frank Ucciardo had managed to get a
separate interview with Michael Hess. Also aired
live, this time on Channel 9 news, Michael Hess's
own first account of events, accurately
corroborates the story being told by Jennings.
Yet according to timeline of their arrival and
rescue, their report of a big explosions inside
WTC7 must have occurred prior to the collapse of
the towers. What this means of course, is that
Jennings and Hess could not have mistaken the
explosion inside the separate WTC7 with damage
caused by falling debris – which certainly did
smash through one side of the building. Indeed,
on a second interview, conducted in mid 2007 by
Dylan Avery and Jason Bermas (and to be included
in the final version of Loose Change), Avery
raises the point directly. Jennings sticks to his original account.

On the BBC documentary, we also hear testimony
from Barry Jennings, however Jennings now seems
less certain. Although in actual fact, he does
not retract any of his original statements,
significantly he makes no mention of the big
explosion that in the immediate aftermath, both
he and Michael Hess, had independently cited as
the original cause of their entrapment.

now released the uncut version of the interview
with Barry Jennings he made for Loose Change[32]:

"My mind is still there, you know," Jennings
says, responding to Dylan Avery's invitation to
make any final comments, "That day I'll never
forget. And the explanations that were given me:
totally unacceptable - totally unacceptable."

Sadly, Barry Jennings died on August 19th 2008,
only a month after his appearance on BBC and just
days prior to the release of the NIST Final Report on the collapse of WTC7.

*

The BBC programme makers also paid attention to
the reaction of Dutch demolition expert, Danny
Jowenko, who on being shown the collapse of WTC7
for the first time (unaware of the context of
what he was seeing and therefore making his
judgement without any prejudice) came to the
unequivocal conclusion that here was a controlled
demolition.[33] However, a different American
demolition expert called Mark Loizeaux, who is
the President of Controlled Demolition,
apparently begs to differ. And so that's again that.

Different experts have reached different
conclusions: stalemate; with the implication that
expert opinion is also unreliable. But instead of
leaving matters there, the programme makers might
instead have approached Jowenko directly, to ask
whether he remained sure of his convictions,
given the disagreement they'd found from Loizeaux
and others. They didn't, but had they done so,
they'd have found Jowenko remains just as adamant
as when he'd first watched the footage, whilst
offering cautious reason to doubt the judgement
of anyone from the trade who's reliant on future business in America:

"When the FEMA makes a report that it came down
by fire, and you have to earn your money in the
States as a controlled demolition company and you
say, "No, it was a controlled demolition", you're gone."[34]

In such a fashion then, the programme makers set
about the theory for controlled demolition,
repudiating selected eyewitness testimony by
presenting contrary testimony and refuting expert
testimony with further expert testimony: every
positive eliminated by a cancelling negative. A
process of neutralisation, in which all testimony
would be equal, but for the fact that it is
opposition to the official story, rather than the
official story as such, that is under scrutiny.

This is not the proper format of a journalistic
investigation, where "there's nothing to see
here..." is the message again and again. The best
hope, the narrator concludes lamely, is that
following NISTs final report, the victims and the
families of the victims might at last to be
allowed to move on. By falsely insinuating that
this is all a lot of hokum, cooked up by a bunch
of self-interested outsiders, the programme
finally closes, just as the first had, with an
outrageously sweeping misrepresentation of the truth movement itself.

*

But there was one way that we could have been
absolutely certain whether or not WTC7 had been
demolished. A proper forensic examination of the
steel would have unequivocally settled the
matter. The lessons learned from such a full
forensic investigation might also have protected
buildings and people in the future – after all,
this was an unprecedented collapse (as everyone
agrees) – and if fire alone had caused the
structure to fail then we need to know exactly
how. Such analysis is not merely an academic
exercise, but potentially a matter of life and
death. Yet, we learn that not a single sample of
steel was saved from WTC7. Not one. When surely
such a wholesale destruction of evidence would be nothing short of criminal.

And so we learn that as early as January 2002,
Bill Manning, the editor in chief of Fire
Engineering magazine, was already shining a
spotlight on the altogether slipshod
investigation, castigating FEMA (the Federal
Emergency Management Agency) in no uncertain
terms, and candidly expressing his concerns of a deeper cover-up:

"Fire Engineering has good reason to believe that
the "official investigation" blessed by FEMA and
run by the American Society of Civil Engineers is
a half-baked farce that may already have been
commandeered by political forces whose primary
interests, to put it mildly, lie far afield of full disclosure."[35]

Concerns that raise yet another important
question: on whose authority was this removal of
evidence permitted. The BBC programme touched on
all of this, and yet it failed to delve into the matter at all.

"As things now stand and if they continue in such
fashion, the investigation into the World Trade
Center fire and collapse will amount to paper-
and computer-generated hypotheticals." writes
Manning again (in the same article), correctly
foreseeing that in the absence of all forensic
analysis, the future teams of investigators, such
as those working at NIST would have to rely solely on computer simulations.

Now in fairness this has obviously made their
task a great deal tougher than it ought to have
been, and so it may perhaps be forgiven if their
original report of 2005[36] didn't bother to
present any theory of any kind to account for the
collapse of WTC7. However, they have since spent
a further three years (seven in total) tweaking
the parameters of their finite-element analysis
routines and at last they might have figured out
a possible mechanism. The entire collapse must
have been caused by ordinary office fires,
they'll say, because what is NIST's alternative?
To return yet another report that explains why
they still haven't got a clue, or as FEMA put it
rather more tortuously in the conclusion to their
own first report that: "...the best hypothesis
has only a low probability of occurrence."[37]

Yes, the scientists and engineers at NIST have
been tasked with a seriously tricky problem. To
establish a mechanism involving such rapid and
simultaneous failure to ensure a perfectly
symmetrical collapse at close to free-fall
speeds. A failure instigated by fires which were
at their most intense on the lower and middle
levels, yet causing a collapse that began with
the penthouse, and then, almost immediately,
shattered the building progressively from the
base upwards. A process that caused the building
to fold inwards, pulverising itself into dust,
and causing what little rubble remained to tumble
almost vertically rather than taking paths of
least resistance (and with other parts toppling
over). And a mechanism that could leave a neat
pile of smouldering remains that would continue
to glow for more than a month afterwards.

They'll be doing well to account for any of this,
basing their theory on randomly situated office
fires, but still one piece of evidence remains
that no theory of natural collapse can ever
provide a feasible account for: it is the
numerous reports from first-responders who saw
"pools" and "rivers" of molten steel, with one
firefighter comparing the scene to being "like a
foundry".[38] In order to see why this is such a
big ask, I'll need to make a considerable
digression to more closely consider all of the
physics involved. However, since many readers
will find such technical arguments tiresome, I
have decided to save that more detailed analysis for a separate Appendix B.

*

For now I wish leave aside any closer inspection
of questions surrounding the collapse of WTC7 and
the other towers. The NIST final report has been
published, and as expected it explains everything
in terms of the fires, which means that once
again they have failed to take account of all the
evidence (the various reports of molten steel
being quite impossible to square with such a low
temperature theory). I could go on much further
and talk about the unexplained sulphidation of
the samples that were tested by FEMA, and other
evidence supporting theories that a substance
like thermite could have been used to cut through
the girders[39]. I realise that for many people
the very idea that a criminal branch of the US
administration would, or even could, have planted
explosives in the buildings represents an
apparent leap into madness. So let's move on.

Let's also now leave aside Thierry Meyssan's
theory that it was a missile and not a plane that
hit the Pentagon, which opens another bag of
worms again. There's more than enough food for
thought without the missing planes and the
unparalleled collapse of buildings. My real aim
here has been to show that far from being
madness, the theory that the buildings were
demolished, mostly especially in the strange case
of WTC7, still remains the only available theory
that accounts for every piece of the surviving evidence.

The collapse of WTC7 has every feature associated
with a controlled demolition and there is nothing
about the collapse that has been shown to deviate
from the characteristics of other controlled
demolitions; whereas, for it to have collapsed
'naturally' in such a characteristic way would
require nothing less than a miracle.

When it comes to the case of WTC7, the objections
put forward by “debunkers” of controlled
demolition tend only to speculate on the hows and
whys: how could the building have been rigged
with explosives? and why would anyone blow up
WTC7 in the first place? But the answer to such
questions we can only speculate on, where
speculation inevitably means coming up with some
additional “conspiracy theories”. The better
approach, I think, is simply to call for a new
investigation that is amply funded, fully
independent and encouraged to investigate every
last detail of all the events of 9/11. For on
what grounds would anyone oppose the re-opening
of the inquiry into 9/11, other than the spurious
claim that we already know all the answers?

*

On November 10th 2001, George W. Bush addressed
the United Nations General Assembly with these words:

"We will remember every rescuer who died in
honor. We will remember every family that lives
in grief. We will remember the fire and ash, the
last phone calls, the funerals of the children."

True to their word, Bush, Cheney and the rest of
the gang have indeed remembered the victims,
especially whenever it helped to disguise their
imperialist ambitions, or enabled them to
undermine the American constitution, or, and most
deplorably of all, to legitimise false
imprisonment and the use of torture. They have
never once shirked from reminding us of those
horrific deaths of thousands, when seeking an
excuse to inflame new wars and spread more terror of their own making.

Yet we've seen how Bush, and the White House
administration as a whole, made no great efforts
to find out what really happened on September
11th. Indeed, they first delayed, and then
hampered at every turn, an investigation that
they were eventually forced to conduct. So,
overarching all the other questions about what
really happened on the morning of September 11th
2001, is this: cui bono? Who actually benefited?

Was it Osama Bin Laden, already suffering from
kidney failure (or is he?) and now forced to
scuttle around from cave to cave, presumably with
his dialysis machine in tow, as bunker-busting
bombs and "daisy-cutters" flattened all around him? Perhaps –

Or how about the Neo-con administration in
Washington, suddenly positioned and enabled to
embark on an endless war against a mysterious "axis of evil".

The Kean-Hamilton report is revealing here too.
It is a surprising read. For instance, of the
four-hundred plus pages, you discover that a mere
fifty are addressed to the main events of the day
itself. These few pages cover the total evidence
from all the testimony of fire-fighters and other
eyewitnesses including the first responders. All
condensed to fill just a single chapter: "Heroism
and Horror". Whilst, in the next chapter,
something more startling is revealed.

Entitled "Wartime", the discussion has already
moved on. Having no direct bearing on the events
of September 11th - and thus more in keeping with
the report in general – the emphasis returns to
background events and here to the urgency of an
effective response. The concluding section to the
chapter being subtitled: "'Phase two' and the
question of Iraq", begins as follows (and this is a direct quote):

"President Bush had wondered immediately after
the attack whether Saddam Hussein's regime might
have had a hand in it. Iraq had been an enemy of
the United States for 11 years, and was the only
place in the world where the United States was
engaged in on-going combat operations. ... He
told us he recalled Iraqi support for Palestinian
suicide terrorists as well. Speculating about
other possible states that could be involved, the
President told us he also thought about Iran.
[Richard] Clarke has written that on the evening
of September 12, President Bush told him and some
of his staff to explore possible Iraqi links to
9/11. "See if Saddam did this," Clarke recalls
the President telling them. "See if he's linked in anyway."[40]

Presumably then, this is how America of the
twenty-first century constructs its foreign
policy. Founding it on the hunches and
suppositions of its great leader. Meanwhile, we
learn that September 11th was the ideal cover for
governments to "bury bad news" as someone once
carelessly put it. So what ought we to make of
Donald Rumsfeld announcing the disappearance of
some 2.3 Trillion Dollars from US Defense expenditure accounts.

Hey, 2.3 Trillion is one hell of a lot of money
by anyone's standards. So much in fact that
Rumsfeld himself remarked that: "In fact, it
could be said it's a matter of life and death."
But when precisely did Rumsfeld sound the public
alarm on this unprecedented loss of government
revenues? Would you believe September 10th? There
really couldn't have been any better occasion to bury some bad news.[41]

*

Chasing after justice, a few of the victims
(including first responders, many of whom have
later died, or are dying, of respiratory
illnesses caused by inhaling toxic dust that the
government was also fully aware of) got to have
an inquiry. Right from the start they were deeply
unhappy with how it had been delayed, was
underfunded, and lacked independence. Afterwards,
when they'd read the commission report, they felt
betrayed for a second time. In response, they put
together a documentary film called "9/11: Press
for Truth".[42]  It is compelling viewing and should be aired worldwide.

But there is another point here, and within the
bigger scheme it is the more important one. All
the delays, the distortions, the changes in
timelines, the endless deceptions that frustrated
Kean and Hamilton[43] (by their own account
“Without Precedent”), presents us with the
proverbial elephant in the living room.
Naturally, we may presume, as Kean and Hamilton
do, that those in charge were simply covering
their collective backs. No doubt, this is enough
to persuade many that although the failures of
the commission are very evident and rather
serious, there is really nothing to be concerned
about. Well, okay, let's say, for the sake of
argument, that all the events of September
11th  are entirely accountable through a
unfortunate combination of incompetence and bad
luck. And that the delays and obstructions and
often blatant lies were used only to protect
those working within the highest levels of the
security services and perhaps all the way up to
the White House itself from charges amounting to
dereliction of duty. Well doesn't it remain the
job of a supposedly free media to keep asking the
awkward questions? Just like the commission
itself, those who work within it have a
responsibility. They must try to establish, to
the best of their ability, truth from fiction,
even if it's only apportion blame. This is what
we expect inquiries to do, and if the inquiry
can't do it then the journalists must step in.

Colonel Robert Bowman, a physicist who headed the
"Star Wars" project, and also a former combat
pilot who flew over a hundred missions during the
Vietnam War, has put it this way:

"What are they trying to hide? Are they trying to
hide guilt or incompetence? We don't know, but we
should know. Either way the American people deserve to know."

Yes, and the world more widely needs to know. Yet
during the four hundred and forty days when the
administration dragged its heels before
reluctantly opening its inquiry, just where were
the media? Pushing hard alongside William
Rodriguez and the families of the victims
themselves, or taking a more "impartial" stance?
Neutrality is not the same as turning away with indifference.

Bob Bowman, ran for Congress as a Democrat
candidate in 2006, determinedly trying to raise
support for a full and totally independent
re-investigation. He has frequently described the
official theory of 9/11 as "a bunch of hogwash",
and sums up the case against the administration with these words:

"The very kindest that we can say is that they
were aware of the impending attacks and let them
happen. Now some people will say that's much too
kind. However, even that is high treason and conspiracy to commit murder."

*

The “conspiracy theorist”, we are often told
(especially by the media), is unable to deal with
the complex reality of the world as it really is.
A world where no one really knows exactly what's
going on, let alone controls it. A world of
uncertainties and potential chaos. So, let's take
this idea on a little and apply it to the
terrible and terrifying events of September 11th
2001. And since, implicitly, this involves
comparison between two opposing outlooks, let's
consider the position of both the “conspiracy
theorist” against, if you like, that of the
“cock-up theorist”. Which of these outlooks is
actually the most psychologically reassuring?

Firstly then, and according to the “cock-up
theorists”, the events of 9/11 (along with nearly
all of the other recent terrorist attacks) were
staged solely by Islamic fundamentalists who had
been trained and supported by – or more vaguely “had links to” – Al Qaeda.

9/11 was simply the most devastating attack ever
masterminded by Osama Bin Laden; that well-known
face of global Islamic terrorism who issues all
his commands from his cave in Afghanistan. The
attackers involved were relatively few in number,
poorly trained and, it is surely reasonable to
assess, psychologically unstable. They had no
weapons besides box-cutters or else (in other
attacks) used rather crude “home-made” explosives.

Meanwhile, everyone working for the British and
American security services were very actively
intent on protecting the public, which is their
primary responsibility and duty. Post 9/11, those
same intelligence agencies have been strengthened
and are now better prepared and ever more
vigilant in their efforts to prevent future atrocities.

Okay then, how scary was that? Presumably, no one
is naïve enough to imagine our nation has no real
enemies, so if the most dangerous threat we
currently face is from random attacks by an
occasional suicide bomber with explosives packed
in his pants then shouldn't we actually be sleeping rather soundly.

But what about the alternative? How much scarier
is the idea that our own governments, or more
precisely a very powerful, secret and
self-selecting elite that controls a part of
those governments, have planned and are still
planning to sometimes undermine the safety of
their own people? That the ultimate powers that
be – whatever or whoever they may be – powers
that are interested solely in directing the
course of events to ensure their own
self-interested ends, are therefore taking
decisions that occasionally allow a few pawns to be sacrificed along the way.

That, as a consequence, the public face not one
enemy but two, and that the stronger of these is
also, most disturbingly, our primary defence
against the weaker force (currently Al Qaeda).
Well clearly this is by far and away the greater
nightmare. An outlook that offers no comfort
whatsoever but only increased fear, and if these
fears are admitted, being faced by an altogether
more personal peril. Because “to believe in
conspiracy theories” is psychologically
dangerous, and this is true whether or not the
theories themselves are based on delusion or hard
fact. And let's remember that there still is no
word for being paranoid but correct.

To judge then from the “conspiracy theorist” side
of the fence (if this is where I stand), it is
tempting to hold up a mirror to the “cock-up
theorists” and to echo a reply: this accusation
you make about us “conspiracy kooks” needing our
comfort blankets looks a lot like what
psychologists call 'projection'. It is easy to
find the faults in others, but those who believe
that “conspiracy theorists” (i.e. those who
contend against the official version of certain,
often major, political events) are all cowards,
would be advised to think again. Facing the truth
as it is found, and not always as it is presented
to us, requires an enormous act of courage.

*

Appendix A: my response to the BBC in the form of an official complaint

Re: 9/11: The conspiracy files (Sunday 18th February 2007)

Dear Sir,

There are two general points I would like to
make, interspersed by more specifically addressed
and detailed points. Firstly, and with regards to
truth, and I do not have any serious issues
regarding the facts as they were stated in the
programme (or such as they are understood by the
producers), however, there are more ways to be
deceptive than simply lying. So let me list a
few. Most importantly there is where you choose
to shine the light, since what is covered and
what is ignored is often just as important as the facts themselves.
             The questions about 9/11 go deep
into many areas but naturally enough you skim
through a few (this is a question of time, since
a thorough analysis and one that considered the
events with due gravity could fill number of
documentaries). So this alone might be forgiven
if the questions you choose to consider were ones
that might be key to finding out what really
happened. But instead of this you quickly glossed
over the most important questions. Here are a few:
             Why was the investigation of the
potential hijackers blocked and hampered? Why
were none of the planes intercepted? How did the
pilots fly with such unerring accuracy after so
little training and zero experience of flying jet
airliners? Why did the buildings collapse so
quickly and completely? Why did building 7 fall
at all given that it was never hit by a plane?
How did one plane ever manage to strike the
Pentagon when it's surely one of the most well
defended areas on earth? Why have we still never
seen any film of the plane crashing into the
pentagon when it is also surely has some of the
highest surveillance in the world?
             At least your programme did point
out that secrecy is a key ingredient to what
makes so many of us suspicious, though failing to
recognise that it is generally the case that
secrecy also suggests there could something to
hide – even if it isn't that a missile hit the
Pentagon, which could very well be a piece of
deliberate misinformation to distract attention
from more significant factors, as some
researchers have already acknowledged – see 9/11
Research. There are also many important and
hanging questions that were missed altogether. Here again are a few of those:
             What is the link between the alleged
terrorists and the Pakistani intelligence agency
ISI (which has links to the CIA)? Why have 7 of
the 19 alleged terrorists been reported alive and
well (on BBC website)? Why did we hear nothing of
the many eyewitness reports of explosions in the
towers and why no mention of former janitor
William Rodriguez (the last civilian to be
rescued, he was briefly a national hero) who says
he felt explosions in the basement before the
first plane struck? Why no consideration of the
very suspicious stock market speculation with
high levels of trading on put options for both
United Airlines and American Airlines?
             In addition to this glossing over of
the most serious questions and allegations, the
programme also adopts a cherry-picking style to
its selection of evidence. It talks to a woman
who took a Delta flight – a flight that has
nothing to do with the main events of 9/11 aside
from an idea that happens to have been suggested
as one explanation for the unproven disappearance
of flight 77 (a speculation made by a
film-maker). In an overly extended analysis it
even asks the passenger in question why people
believe in these “stories”. Such a blatantly
loaded question of absolutely no relevance
whatsoever. The programme then switches to
allegations of warnings given to the Jewish community prior to the attacks.
             Apparently there is some kind of
deplorably anti-Semitic and dopey notion that the
NY Jewish community had been tipped off. Again
the programme makers decided to trace the origins
of such an obvious lie in another extended
diversion away from the main issues. Finally they
interview one of the Jewish family victims, with
emotional footage showing her clutching her hand
around a wire fence and weeping, asking what she
thinks about the people who believe in “these
conspiracy theories.” In watching this most
sickening exploitation of a person's grief, what
are we supposed to think? That all the families
of the victims feel the same? But this again is a
huge deception of course, since it was largely
due to pressure from other families of victims
that the 9/11 commission was finally set up. A
hundred family members have now signed a petition
calling for a re-opening of the investigation and
a smaller number also collaborated to launch the film 9/11 Press for Truth.
             This was followed by an interview
with an X-Files scriptwriter (cue music!) who had
accidentally written scenes reminiscent of the
9/11 attacks a few months earlier. Having trawled
through the internet for reports and evidence for
literally hundreds of hours it seems odd to me
that you focus such profligate attention on
something I'd never before heard about.
             And then, as previously, you feel
obliged to ask what the scriptwriter thinks about
“this conspiracy theory.” But that's irrelevant
of course, as are his views as to whether or not
some senior members of the Bush administration
are mass murderers. This is thankfully not how
evidence of guilt is ever legally considered.
             And so to my second point, a point
about impartiality. Just as truth is never as
simple as merely not telling lies, so
impartiality is never as simple as giving both
sides of an argument equal amounts of attention.
It also depends on how you frame things. From the
outset the programme claims that there are more
than 50 “conspiracy theories” (and using the
words “conspiracy theories” immediately
stigmatises anyone who defends those views). But what is a conspiracy theory?
             It might be reasonably argued that
in this instance there are only two basic ones.
There is the official government theory involving
an unanticipated attack by a group of Islamic
fundamentals and there is another that claims some form of direct government
involvement. This alternative account might
simply mean that some part of the American
administration allowed fully formulated attacks
to go ahead without intervention or it may make
more dramatic claims that either parts of the government assisted a pre-planned
attack or that they acted alone. But to say there
are many theories obviously creates the
impression that the entire 9/11 truth movement is
at loggerheads, which is plainly untrue (since
all the main websites carry more or less the same
concerns) and I believe deliberately intended to mislead the audience.
             We were also presented with an
understanding that on the one hand there are a
few “self-styled” reporters and investigators and
on the other “nuts and bolts” honest and
independent experts working for the highly
respected journal Popular Mechanics, so what are
you leading us to conclude? What is a
“self-styled” journalist anyway? Is it anyone who
is not affiliated to any major news organisation?
Because suppose there happened to be no news
organisations either willing or interested to
investigate a story? Surely we would then have to
rely on such “self-styled” investigation.
             And then why did you linger over a
framed picture of Jesus with the caption
“employee of the month” in the office of the
Loose Change producers? A deliberate attempt to
arouse suspicion or ridicule in a largely
agnostic audience? Perhaps in way of balance you
might have also been reminding us of George
Bush's much professed belief in the same God. But
we didn't actually need to see any of this, and
as with much else in the film such as the
constantly inter-cut caption reading “conspiracy”
at the end of every section, the spooky or else
stirring music, the constant reminders that
“these people” need to “find comfort”, the
impression was deliberately slanted in favour of
the proponents supporting the official story and
against the “self-styled” “conspiracy theorists”
so desperate to keep hold of their “comfort
blanket.” This is an utterly bogus portrayal and
deeply patronising to a very large number of
people who have looked into the claims and
counter-claims about 9/11 with justified
suspicion. And to suppose that it offers anyone
comfort that the American government may have
committed one of the greatest of all peace-time
atrocities, is to presume any skeptic of the
official account must be callous or frankly
psychopathic. What is this supposed comfort in
believing that the world may be controlled by a
select group of first degree murderers?
             But the real issue is not about the
“conspiracy theorists” or even about any competing
“conspiracy theories.”  We may never know what
happened and so inevitably there will be guesses,
but wrong guesses prove nothing. Instead, this is
a matter of searching for answers to a great many
very important and as yet unanswered questions
(some of which were completely overlooked in your
film). The 9/11 truth movement wants full answers
to what is a most horrific and deplorable crime,
so it is both dishonest and disgraceful to
dismiss such concerns without close scrutiny and
proper consideration. To conclude then, I regard
this “self-styled” investigative documentary to
be at best a wholly trivial and biased
mistreatment of what is a matter for the gravest
seriousness, and at worst, worry that here was
yet another example of the sort of poisonous
propaganda which the cowed post-Hutton BBC
constantly serves up in the place of serious journalism.

*

Appendix B: Collapse of the towers – the application of some basic physics.

I have seen and read through quite a number of
attempts to challenge the official theory of
progressive collapse for the Twin Towers and for
Building 7 by appealing to violations of the laws
of physics. This may seem odd to those who are
not trained as scientists, yet it is perhaps the
most logical starting point for anyone who has
been. Why? Because, showing any breach of the
fundamental laws of physics would be quite
sufficient to render all other evidence
unnecessary. In this instance then, physics
appears tantalisingly to offer the possibility of
irrefutable proof one way or the other, which,
with so little direct forensic evidence having
been preserved, no other analysis can. For
whatever the reliability of the witnesses, and
regardless of all other distractions and
deceptions that must be negotiated, the physics can NEVER be wrong.

Taking this approach then, some have presented
the case that following the law of conservation
of momentum, the collapse rate would have to be
significantly below free-fall speeds. This is a
relevant and interesting argument, but one that,
due to various unknowns about the collapse
mechanism, is actually quite difficult to
demonstrate conclusively without recourse to
computer simulations. So having acknowledged this
I have decided to leave the question there for others to consider.

The law of the conservation of energy, however,
offers a more straightforward route. For those
who don't remember the law then let me briefly
summarise it as follows: it says in a nutshell
that energy can never be created or destroyed.
And just like many of the laws of physics, it is
really a profoundly simple rule. That is, it is
simple to understand, but more importantly it also simplifying.

It means that we only need to think about two
things: the situation before and the situation
afterwards. Whatever happened during the collapse
is not at all important, just so long as we know
how much energy we had to begin with and how much
energy we would have needed to break everything
to pieces. Well given this fact, it's possible to
make some useful estimates and indeed many have already done so.

They have calculated the initial "available
energy", which is easy enough because this must
have been almost entirely the gravitational
potential energy of the building, which is
something anyone with a GCSE in the subject ought
to be able to estimate. So everyone agrees on
this part, more or less, accepting a figure of
around a thousand billion Joules, which I've seen
compared to "about 1% of energy released by a
small nuclear bomb". Sounds a lot when put like
that. So that's what we have at the start.

Now we need to estimate the amounts of energy
that must have been involved in tearing the whole
structure apart, into such small pieces that most
of it was easily loaded onto trucks. We'll need
to include the energy required to blast some of
the debris horizontally, and perhaps more
significantly, we also need to add in the energy
needed to pulverise huge quantities of the
concrete into those large clouds of fine dust that settled across New York.

There are indeed already estimates for all of
this, and much more besides, and those who have
sat down and done the sums have frequently
claimed to find an energy deficit. They find much
more energy was needed than was ever available.
They say that gravity alone just wasn't
sufficient to cause such total destruction. But
these kinds of analysis are complicated,
especially if we are seeking real precision
rather than ball-park estimates. Having said that
such an approach is far less complicated that
NISTs use of finite element analysis. Here is
certainly one way that a fully independent
scientific investigation, run in tandem with a
fully independent commission, might be able to
settle the question one way or the other.

Now, back to the matter in hand. The molten
steel. In order to melt steel from room
temperature you have to add heat – lots and lots
of heat. Well, actually that isn't strictly true.
And we'll need to be careful about our terms. So
let's leave "heat" aside for a moment. Stating
matters a little more scientifically then, we
should talk instead about the "internal energy".
In layman's language "raising the internal
energy" is the same as "raising the heat", it
either makes the thing hotter or it melts it. But
physicists prefer to use the term "internal
energy" rather than "heat" because they need to
distinguish between the different ways in which
internal energy can be raised. "Heating", then,
in this more precise description, involves the
transfer energy from something hotter to
something cooler. This is a one-way process,
which occurs when you heat your saucepans on a
hob, or leave your coffee to go cold.

You may have noticed that your pans don't melt
into the hob no matter how long you leave them,
and that your coffee cools never down below room
temperature. There is reason for this. We say
that a some point the pan or the coffee has
reached what is called "thermal equilibrium" with
its surroundings. From this point on no further
heat transfer can occur, because nothing can ever
get hotter (reach a higher temperature) than the
thing that's heating it. To do so would violate
the famous second law of thermodynamics and as
the physicist Eddington once famously remarked:
"if your theory is found to be against the second
law of thermodynamics I can give you no hope;
there is nothing for it but to collapse in deepest humiliation."

Going back to the question of melting steel then,
it's certain that we would require fires hotter
than the melting point of steel, which is about
1500C, whereas jet fuel doesn't burn at
temperatures nearly high enough. NIST in fact
agree that the jet fuel and office fires in the
towers could not have exceeded 2000F (about
1100C), and consequentially, they have never
claimed that the original fires melted the steel.
Indeed, according to their own report, the effect
of the fires was only to cause weakening of the
steel sufficient to initiate the collapse.[44] So
what do NIST make of the reports of molten
steel...? Well, I'll come back to that a little
later, but first we must consider more of the physics.

Okay then, we've dealt with heating, but, as I
mentioned earlier, there are other ways to raise
the "internal energy" of a material. For
instance, you might run an electric current
through it, or instead you might apply forces to
bend or compress or stretch it, perhaps over and
over again. Stretching, bending, twisting and
compressing and so on also causes materials to
get hotter or potentially to melt, and these
alternative ways of increasing internal energy
are what physicists call generically "doing
work".  So perhaps then we can account for the
molten steel found in the ruins of the WTC by
virtue of "work done" as it twisted and ripped
apart. If we needed to consider every snapped
rivet and twisted beam in isolation that would
involve an incredibly complex analysis too,
fortunately however there is a law of physics
which rides to our rescue: it's our old friend
the theory of the conservation of energy.

I am about to present something known in the
trade as "a back of the envelope calculation". It
is an attempt to provide an estimate for the
addition temperature gain (beyond the 1100C of
the fires) that could have occurred as the
building smashed to pieces, but it will involve
making certain approximations and assumptions,
all of which I will endeavour to justify.

My prime assumption is as follows: that ALL of
the available energy was ultimately absorbed by
the steel alone, causing it to get hotter. This
is a crazy assumption of course. It takes no
account of energy absorbed by the concrete,
making it hotter too. Of losses due to air
resistance, which we should suppose might be
considerable given that each floor would have to
push the air out of the way like a plunger. It
ignores the fact that since so much of the
concrete was ground to dust, its own available
gravitational energy would have been lost as it
floated gently down to earth, taking with it
whatever internal energy it might have gained
from the process of being crushed. It ignores the
fact that the ground itself must have absorbed a
significant part of the energy as it gave way a
little, and that some of that energy then caused
tremors and therefore, though indirectly, rocked
the other buildings in the close vicinity a
little. For all these important reasons, my
answer is likely to be a gross over-estimate of
what was really possible, representing only the
extreme upper limit on any true answer. But then
remember that it's only a back of the envelope estimation.

My next assumption is that the centre of mass of
the building is exactly halfway up. In point of
fact, the centre of mass must have been
significantly below halfway because obviously the
structure towards the bottom needed to be ever
stronger to support the greater weight above. I
also fail to take account of the fact that a
significant part of the building's mass lay in
its foundations and the basements which had
nowhere to fall. This means that I have again
substantially over-estimated the available
energy, forcing my final estimate to be an even
higher upper limit. (Although, provided with full
knowledge of the design of the building we could
eliminate the biggest part of this second error.)

These then are the positives, if you like –
factors which force the figure up – but there are
also a few negatives. There is the additional
weight of fixtures and fitting, of furnishing,
and of the victims themselves. (Others, often far
better qualified than myself, have attempted more
accurate calculations with estimates on all of
the above – they involve only modest
adjustments). For our purposes then, it's quite
reasonable to say that these negatives are
negligible, especially when offset against such
enormous positives as all those listed above. As
for the additional energy contained in the jet
fuel (which is small when considered in the
greater scheme), well this is irrelevant anyway
since it has already been used to heat the steel.
But it can only heat the steel to 1100C at most,
whereas we are trying to account for temperatures
above those generated by the fire. Right then, we
can now do a very simply calculation. If all of
the initial energy had somehow diffused evenly
throughout the steel, how much would its
temperature rise? Well, the answer is a mere 20C
(with the relevant equation and figures given below).[45]

In other words, even if every last drop of energy
went into heating the steel (which we presume is
already 1100C – again a high estimate, with most
the steel never reaching temperatures anywhere
close to this upper limit) it would still need
nineteen times more again to even reach melting
point.  Whilst we must remember that much more
energy would again be required to melt any
significant portion of it.[46] In the case of the
lower-level WTC7, this energy shortfall is exacerbated still further.

Being approximately half the height, and all
other things remaining about equal, the estimate
must also be halved, generating an average rise
of 10C at the very most. So given these numbers,
how can anyone seriously propose that the steel
was melted as a consequence of the additional energy gain during collapse?[47]

Or let's look at this all another way. Take a
lump of steel (and mix in some concrete if you
like) and drop it from the height of the twin
towers. Will any of it melt when it hits the
ground? And when cars or trains or even planes
crash and get all crumpled up, and the kinetic
energy converts into internal energy, do we ever
expect to find even small puddles of molten
metal? For such collisions generally occur at
similar and at frequently higher speeds than the
speed of the falling rubble.[48] And the reason
why cars, trains and planes don't melt on impact
is simply this: that small increases in internal
energy require a whole lot of mechanical "work"
input. It is for a similar reason we don't try to
boil water by shaking it around in a vacuum
flask, a handy method for a stranded hiker. It is
theoretically possible to heat water by
elbow-grease alone, indeed the water temperature
will measurably rise, but if you're planning to
make a cup of tea then just don't hold your breath.

Nevertheless, I have come across just such
implausible explanations presented by a few of
those who wish "to debunk" the case for
demolition and explain away the molten metal.
That said, the guys at NIST have taken better
care to avoid such utterly improbable
conclusions. Instead, when it comes the question
of the origin of molten steel they have provided the following answer:

"NIST investigators and experts from the American
Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) and the
Structural Engineers Association of New York
(SEONY)­who inspected the WTC steel at the WTC
site and the salvage yards­found no evidence that
would support the melting of steel in a jet-fuel
ignited fire in the towers prior to collapse. The
condition of the steel in the wreckage of the WTC
towers (i.e., whether it was in a molten state or
not) was irrelevant to the investigation of the
collapse since it does not provide any conclusive
information on the condition of the steel when
the WTC towers were standing."[49]

Now, please read that back again. I'm right,
yeah? They're saying they did bother studying the
steel in the wreckage "whether it was in a molten
state or not" because it couldn't provide any
information on its condition prior to the
collapse. That's a strange admission isn't it. I
mean if you want to find out how anything broke
then in general it helps if you look at the
pieces afterwards. I admit though I'm no expert.

They also say this, which I find still harder to fathom:

"Under certain circumstances it is conceivable
for some of the steel in the wreckage to have
melted after the buildings collapsed. Any molten
steel in the wreckage was more likely due to the
high temperature resulting from long exposure to
combustion within the pile than to short exposure
to fires or explosions while the buildings were standing."[50]

Now quite frankly, I wouldn't let my first year
students get away with such meaningless
obfuscation! Higher temperatures due to longer
exposure times – give me a break. As if exposure
time makes all the difference, when hotness is
limited, let us remind ourselves, such that
nothing can EVER (no matter how long the exposure
time) become hotter than that which is heating
it. So a "long exposure" to what exactly? "To
combustion within the pile". Oh really – and just
what could have been burning so ferociously down
in the rubble that wasn't already burning when
the building was standing tall and supplied with
oxygen all around? As I say, I'm no expert, but
I've used a Bunsen burner now and again and it
certainly won't get hotter when you shut the air down.

[1]             "I don't think anyone could have
predicted that they would try to use an airplane
as a missile - a hijacked airplane as a missile."
Condoleezza Rice (C-Span). "Nobody in our
government at least, and I don't think the prior
government could envisage flying airplanes into
buildings." George W. Bush (C-Span). But this
again turns out to be untrue. "In 1998, U.S.
intelligence had information that a group of
unidentified Arabs planned to fly an
explosives-laden airplane into the World Trade
Center, according to a joint inquiry of the House
and Senate intelligence committees." reported by
CNN on Thursday, September 19, 2002. You may also
recall that in December 1994 an Air France flight
was hijacked in Algiers by members of the Armed
Islamic Group (GIA), who had plans to crash it
into the Eiffel Tower. Fortunately, French
Special Forces successfully stormed the plane on
the ground. It turns out that far from being
unimaginable, various agencies had been preparing
for actions of precisely this kind. Here is a
report entitled "NORAD had drills of jets as
weapons" by Steven Komarow and Tom Squitieri, USA
TODAY, from 18th April 2004: "In the two years
before the Sept. 11 attacks, the North American
Aerospace Defense Command conducted exercises
simulating what the White House says was
unimaginable at the time: hijacked airliners used
as weapons to crash into targets and cause mass
casualties. One of the imagined targets was the
World Trade Center." Of course we have also since
learnt that, in the words of George J. Tenet, the
former director of central intelligence, "The
system was blinking red". His words in fact
became the title of Chapter 8 of the Kean/Commission Report.
[2]             "A longtime associate of al Qaeda
leader Osama bin Laden surrendered to Saudi
Arabian officials Tuesday, a Saudi Interior
Ministry official said. But it is unclear what
role, if any, Khaled al-Harbi may have had in any
terror attacks because no public charges have
been filed against him. And though a Saudi
security official called al-Harbi "a big fish," a
U.S. intelligence official told CNN he was 'not
particularly significant.'" from CNN, Wednesday, posted July 14, 2004
[3]             A great many video and audiotapes
have surfaced and been reported as Osama Bin
Laden declaring his intentions. Questions hang
over the authenticity of many. The sound and
picture quality of the tape in question (December
13th 2001) are dreadfully poor. Here an Osama who
looks different in many ways from the genuine
Osama (particular attention should be paid to the
nose, here much thicker and shorter than in his
younger days), is apparently claiming
foreknowledge, if not actual responsibility, for
the September 11th attacks, and then chortling
over their success. The authenticity of this tape
has been so widely questioned that outside the
mainstream media is widely referred to as the
"fatty bin laden" video. The next tape to be
verified as authentic by the CIA was on audiotape
only. It was delivered to Al Jazeera in Autumn
2002 but then quickly discredited by experts.
Here's an article from taken BBC News Friday, 29
November, 2002: entitled 'Bin Laden tape 'not
genuine'': "Researchers in Switzerland have
questioned the authenticity of the recent audio
recording attributed to Osama Bin Laden. A team
from the Lausanne-based Dalle Molle Institute for
Perceptual Artificial Intelligence, Idiap, said
it was 95% certain the tape does not feature the
voice of the al-Qaeda leader." The BBC's Ian
McWilliam also reported that "Their computer
found differences compared to older Bin Laden tapes"
[4]                      Here is a rather
skeptical report from Anne Karpf of The Guardian,
Tuesday March 19, 2002: 'Uncle Sam's lucky
finds': "In less than a week came another find,
two blocks away from the twin towers, in the
shape of Atta's passport. We had all seen the
blizzard of paper rain down from the towers, but
the idea that Atta's passport had escaped from
that inferno unsinged would have tested the
credulity of the staunchest supporter of the
FBI's crackdown on terrorism." In point of fact
the passport that had supposedly survived so
miraculously - in contrast to all four black-box
recorders from flights AA11 and UA175 that were
apparently all destroyed - belonged to Satam Al
Suqami and NOT to alleged ring-leader Mohammed Atta as is commonly misreported
[5]             Extract from "Collateral repair:
A massive aid programme for Afghanistan will help
bring down the Taliban" by George Monbiot,
published in The Guardian on Tuesday September 25th, 2001.
[6]             "You can't distinguish between Al
Qaeda and Saddam when you talk about the War on
Terror." George W. Bush on September 25th 2002.
"Saddam Hussein aids and protects terrorists,
including members of Al Qaeda. Secretly, and
without fingerprints, he could provide one of his
hidden weapons to terrorists or help them develop
their own. Before September 11th many in the
world believed that Saddam Hussein could be
contained." from George W. Bush's State of the
Union Address on January 28th 2003.
[7]             "The 9/11 Conspiracies" broadcast
in September 2004; Polly Morland (Director/Producer)
[8]             At the Kean-Hamilton Commission
hearing, Transportation Secretary Norman Mineta
gave the following testimony regarding Vice
President Dick Cheney's response to the approach
of Flight 77 towards the Pentagon: "There was a
young man who would come in and say to the Vice
President [Dick Cheney], "The plane is 50 miles
out. The plane is 30 miles out." And when it got
down to "The plane is 10 miles out", the young
man also said to the Vice President,"Do the
orders still stand?" And the Vice President
turned and whipped his neck around and said,"Of
course the orders still stand - have you heard
anything to the contrary?" Are these orders to
shoot the plane down? If so, then why was no
action taken by the military? And why has no-one ever been reprimanded?
[9]             The Jersey Girls are Lorie Van
Auken, Mindy Kleinberg, Patty Casazza, and
Kristen Breitweiser. They form a part of the 9/11
Family Steering Committee who attended and
criticized the Kean-Hamilton Commission enquiry.
[10]           "Fog of war could explain why some
people were confused on the day of 9/11, but it
could not explain why all of the after-action
reports, accident investigation, and public
testimony by FAA officials and NORAD officials
advanced an account of 9/11 that was untrue."
Passage from "Without Precedent: The inside story
of the 9/11 commission" co-authored by Thomas Kean and Lee Hamilton, 2006.
[11]           'Ultimately, administrators at the
school told Mr. Hanjour that he would not qualify
for the advanced certificate. But the ex-employee
said Mr. Hanjour continued to pay to train on a
simulator for Boeing 737 jets. ''He didn't care
about the fact that he couldn't get through the
course,'' the ex-employee said. Staff members
characterized Mr. Hanjour as polite, meek and
very quiet. But most of all, the former employee
said, they considered him a very bad pilot. ''I'm
still to this day amazed that he could have flown
into the Pentagon,'' the former employee said.
''He could not fly at all."' Extract from "A
Trainee Noted for Incompetence" by Jim Yardley,
published in New York Times on May 4th, 2002.
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/04/national/04ARIZ.html
[12]           "As a former pilot, the President
was struck by the apparent sophistication of the
operation and some of the piloting, especially
Hanjour's high-speed dive into the Pentagon."
Extract taken from Kean-Hamilton 9/11 commission
report, p.334, Section 10.3 entitled "Phase two" and the question of Iraq.
[13]            "All 64 people on board the
airliner were killed, as were 125 people inside
the Pentagon (70 civilians and 55 military
service members)." from the 9/11 Commission
Report, p. 314.  "At the Pentagon, military
medical examiners linked remains to 179 victims,
including passengers aboard American Airlines
Flight 77 and people working in the facility.
Five people who perished at the Pentagon could
not be matched to remains." from USA Today, 11th September, 2006
[14]  A vapour trail is actually something you
would not expect behind a commercial jet flying
at such low altitude (approx ground level). If
anything, it therefore provides yet more support
for the contention that this was some kind of missile
[15]           "9/11: the conspiracy files" was
broadcast on BBC2 on Sunday 18th February 2007.
Following the broadcast, I posted an official
complaint to the BBC, detailing how the arguments
and the evidence had been entirely slanted in
favour of the official story. I received a
cursory and evidently standard reply.  You can
read my letter of complaint in the appendix.
[16]           "A 9/11 conspiracy virus is
sweeping the world, but it has no basis in fact"
from the Guardian Comment by George Monbiot on Tuesday February 6th, 2007.
[17]           "A 9/11 conspiracy virus is
sweeping the world, but it has no basis in fact"
from the Guardian Comment by George Monbiot on Tuesday February 6th, 2007.
[18]            "Bayoneting a scarecrow: The 9/11
conspiracy theories are a coward’s cult." from
the Guardian Comment by George Monbiot on Tuesday February 20th 2007.
[19]           "...all the members of Scholars
for 9/11 Truth, Scholars for 9/11 Truth and
Justice, Veterans for 9/11 Truth, and Pilots for
9/11 Truth; and most of the individuals listed
under “Professors Question 9/11” on the “Patriots
Question 9/11” website." taken from "Morons and
Magic: A Reply to George Monbiot" by David Ray
Griffin posted on 03/07/07 at
[20]           "It's very thorough, it's not -
you know - a hectic prose. Fingers are pointed. A
lot of it is questions that never got answered. I
recommend this book - it's very disturbing -
because you really realise that there's a lot of
menace around. And it's since we don't have a
free press or media, since it all belongs to the
same sort of people who benefit from these
wars... we have no redress. We have no place to
turn." Gore Vidal reviewing David Ray Griffin's book.
[21]           Author's transcription of Noam
Chomsky's reply to an audience question taken
from a post on You Tube - details regarding time
and place were unfortunately not available.
[22]           FAA: Hi. Boston Centre TMU
[Traffic Management Unit], we have a problem
here. We have a hijacked aircraft headed towards
New York, and we need you guys to, we need
someone to scramble some F-16s or something up there, help us out.
                 NEADS: Is this real-world or exercise?
                 FAA: No, this is not an exercise, not a test.
[23]             Footnote 116 on the
Kean-Hamilton 9/11 commission report, which
refers to Robert Marr interview (Jan. 23, 2004).
[24]           “On the morning of Sept. 11, Goss
and Graham were having breakfast with a Pakistani
general named Mahmud Ahmed -- the
soon-to-be-sacked head of Pakistan's intelligence
service. Ahmed ran a spy agency notoriously close
to Osama bin Laden and the Taliban.” From and
article entitled “A Cloak But No Dagger” written
by Richard Leiby, published in the Washington
Post on May 18, 2002.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A36091-2002May17?language=printer

                 Porter Johnston Goss was the
last Director of Central Intelligence and the
first Director of the Central Intelligence Agency
following the passage of the 2004 Intelligence
Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act, which abolished the DCI position.
[25]           "Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden
is a longtime and prominent member of the FBI's
"Ten Most Wanted" list, which notes his role as
the suspected mastermind of the deadly U.S.
embassy bombings in East Africa on Aug. 7, 1998.
But another more infamous date -- Sept. 11, 2001
-- is nowhere to be found on the same FBI notice.
The curious omission underscores the Justice
Department's decision, so far, to not seek formal
criminal charges against bin Laden for approving
al-Qaeda's most notorious and successful
terrorist attack." Extract from article by Dan
Eggen published in the Washington Post, Monday,
August 28, 2006; Page A13.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/27/AR2006082700687.html

[26]           George W. Bush speaking at the
Orange County Convention Centre in Orlando,
Florida on December 4th 2001 (transcribed by the author).
[27]           "Two suspects are in FBI custody
after a truckload of explosives were discovered
around the George Washington Bridge. That bridge
links New York to New Jersey over the Hudson
River. Whether the discovery of those explosives
had anything to do with other events today is
unclear, but the FBI, has two suspects in hand,
said the truckload of explosives, enough
explosives were in the truck to do great damage
to the George Washington Bridge..." Transcript of
Dan Rather's CBS report broadcast live to
millions of viewers on September 11th 2001.
"American security services overnight stopped a
car bomb on the George Washington Bridge
connecting New York and New Jersey. The van,
packed with explosives, was stopped on an
approach ramp to the bridge. Authorities suspect
the terrorists intended to blow up the main
crossing between New Jersey and New York, Army
Radio reported." taken from report in Jerusalem
Post on Wednesday 12th September 2001.
[28]           Here the live reporter Aaron Brown
says: "We are getting information now that one of
the other buildings, building 7 in the world
trade center complex, is on fire and... has
either collapsed or is collapsing, and I... I...
Y..You, to be honest, can see these pictures a
little bit more clearly than I." But actually
World Trade Centre building 7 is shown in
close-up and quite clearly still standing.
[29]           "The conspiracy files: 9/11 - The
third tower", directed by Mike Rudin, and first
broadcast BBC2 on Sunday 6th July, 2008.
[30]           There are many dozens of reports
from eyewitnesses, first responders, and also
from TV reporters of explosions inside the WTC.
These can be found posted on internet sites or
else cut together into short presentations on You
Tube. I have decided to cite the account of just
one of those eyewitnesses. Craig Bartmer, a NYPD
officer, heard the breaking news-story on the
television and made the decision to join the
emergency teams in order to help his colleagues.
As a consequence he saw the collapse of WTC7 from
very close quarters: "I was real close to
Building 7 when it fell down - and - running away
from that sucked. That's one of the things I live
with all the time - and - I don't [know] but that
didn't sound like just a building fall[ing] down
to me, as I was running away from it. There's a
lot of eyewitness testimony down there about
hearing explosions. I didn't see any reason for
that building to fall down the way it did. And a
lot of guys should be saying the same thing. I
don't know what the fear is in coming out and
talking about it - I don't know - but it's the
truth." Transcript made by the author of an
interview with Craig Bartmer posted on youtube.
[31]           Craig Bartmer again: "I walked
around it - I saw a hole. I didn't see a hole big
enough to knock a building down, though. Saw, you
know, yeah there was definitely fire in the
building, you know but, I didn't hear any, you
know - maybe this is movie crap - you know, I
didn't hear any creaking or I didn't hear any -
any indication that it was going to come down.
And all of a sudden the radios exploded and
everyone starts screaming "get away! get away!
get away from it!" And I was like a deer in
headlights. And I look up and - it was nothing
I'd ever imagine seeing in my life. You know the
whole thing started peeling into itself. And I
mean there was an umbrella of crap seventy [?]
feet over  my head that I just stared at. And
some one grabbed my shoulder and I started
running. And the shit's hitting the ground behind
me. And the whole time you're hearing THUM, THUM,
THUM, THUM - so I think I know an explosion when
I hear it. " Craig Bartmer also worked in the
rubble at Ground Zero, helping out in the
original rescue effort, and as a consequence has
since developed severe respiratory illness due to
inhaling toxic dust from the site. Like many of
the first responders, he also suffers from
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, although he is
keen to point out that this does not impair his memory of the events.
[32]           Dylan Avery has since explained
his decision to release the uncut Barry Jennings
interview on his own website at www.loosechange911.com. It reads as follows:
                 "I’ve been sitting on this
interview for a while, but after viewing the
latest BBC piece on WTC7, I feel the time has
come to release it in its entirety. After
locating Barry in mid 2007, Jason and I visited
him and he graciously granted us an interview
during a lunch break. He had agreed to grant us
an interview under the conditions that we, at no
time, associate his interview with his place of employment.
                 Jason and I were so thrilled
with the content of the interview that we decided
to release a few bits and pieces of it on both
our show and Alex’s. A few months later, as the
film was nearing completion, I called Barry again
to touch base and see how things were going. It
took him a bit to remember who I was, but as soon
as he did, he began complaining about phone calls
to his place of employment and that he was in
danger of losing his job. He requested to have
his interview pulled from Loose Change, and I honored his request.
                 Fast forward to February, 2008,
where I’m doing an interview with the BBC, and
I’m informed by their crew that Barry told them
the reason he asked for it to be pulled was
because of the article on Prisonplanet claiming
he was stepping over dead bodies, which he denies
saying. I call Barry to attempt to rectify the
situation, and he is adamant that he did not use
the phrase “we were stepping over people”
                 Fast forward one more time to
two days ago, when the BBC piece finally aired. I
now feel an obligation to release his interview,
in its entirety, into the public where it belongs for three reasons:
                 1) To see the difference between
the interview he gave us, and the interview he gave the BBC.
                 2) To establish Barry’s timeline in his own words.
                 3) To preserve his testimony, in
his own words, for the historical record.
                 I have remained true to my word
and kept his interview out of the film, however,
I can no longer keep it from the public. They
deserve to hear Barry’s story, out of his own mouth.
                 As I say in the end of the
video, I would appreciate it if Barry could enjoy
his privacy and live his life in peace. My
intention with releasing this is so his story can
be told, not to cause him any further grief or suffering
[33]           Danny Jowenko is the Proprietor of
Jowenko Explosieve Demolitie B.V., a European
demolition and construction company, with offices
in the Netherlands.  Founded 1980, Jowenko
Explosieve Demolitie is certified and holds
permits to comply with the Dutch Explosives for
Civil Use Act and the German Explosives
Act.  Jowenko's explosives engineers also hold
the German Certificate of Qualifications and the
European Certificate for Shotfiring issued by The
European Federation of Explosive Engineers. Here
is a transcript of Jowenko's remarks about the
collapse of WTC7, taken from a report for Zembla, Dutch Television from 2006:
                 DJ: That is controlled demolition
                 Reporter: Absolutely?
                 DJ: Absolutely. It's been
imploded. It's a hired job done by a team of experts.
                 Reporter: But it happened on 9/11
                 DJ: The same day? - Are you
sure? - And you're sure it was the 11th? - That can't be.
                 Reporter: Seven hours after the World Trade Center
                 DJ: Really? - Then they worked hard...
[34]             The following is a telephone
interview with Jeff Hill from February 22th 2007:
                 Jeff Hill:  I was just wondering
real quickly, I know you had commented on World
Trade Center Building 7 before.
                 Danny Jowenko:  Yes, that's right.
                 J H:  And I've come to my
conclusions, too, that it couldn't have came down by fire.
                 D J:  No, it -- absolutely not.
                 J H:  Are you still sticking by
your comments where you say it must have been a controlled demolition?
                 D J:  Absolutely.
                 J H:  Yes?  So, you as being a
controlled demolitions expert, you've looked at
the building, you've looked at the video and
you've determined with your expertise that --
                 D J:  I looked at the drawings,
the construction and it couldn't be done by fire. So, no, absolutely not.
                 J H:  OK, 'cause I was reading
on the Internet, people were asking about you and
they said, I wonder -- I heard something that
Danny Jowenko retracted his statement of what he
said earlier about World Trade Center 7 now
saying that it came down by fire.  I said, "There's no way that's true."
                 D J:  No, no, no, absolutely not.
                 J H:  'Cause if anybody was --
Like when I called Controlled Demolition here in
North America, they tell me that , "Oh, it's
possible it came down from fire" and this and that and stuff like that --.
                 D J:  When the FEMA makes a
report that it came down by fire, and you have to
earn your money in the States as a controlled
demolition company and you say, "No, it was a
controlled demolition", you're gone.  You know?
                 J H:  Yeah, exactly, you'll be
in a lot of trouble if you say that, right?
                 D J:  Of course, of
course.  That's the end of your -- the end of the story.
                 J H:  Yeah, 'cause I was calling
demolitions companies just to ask them if they
used the term, "Pull it" in demolition terms and
even Controlled Demolitions, Incorporated said
they did.  But the other people wouldn't --
didn't want to talk to me about Building 7 really
because obviously 'cause they knew what happened
and they didn't want to say it.
                 D J:  Exactly  .
[35]           "Did they throw away the locked
doors from the Triangle Shirtwaist Fire? Did they
throw away the gas can used at the Happyland
Social Club Fire? Did they cast aside the
pressure-regulating valves at the Meridian Plaza
Fire? Of course not. But essentially, that's what
they're doing at the World Trade Center. For more
than three months, structural steel from the
World Trade Center has been and continues to be
cut up and sold for scrap. Crucial evidence that
could answer many questions about high-rise
building design practices and performance under
fire conditions is on the slow boat to China,
perhaps never to be seen again in America until
you buy your next car. Such destruction of
evidence shows the astounding ignorance of
government officials to the value of a thorough,
scientific investigation of the largest
fire-induced collapse in world history. I have
combed through our national standard for fire
investigation, NFPA 921, but nowhere in it does
one find an exemption allowing the destruction of
evidence for buildings over 10 stories tall."
extract from article in Fire Engineering, January
2002, written by editor in chief Bill Manning,
that called for a comprehensive investigation
into the WTC collapse entitled: "Burning Questions...Need Answers"
[36]           FEMA's original explanation of a
"pancake collapse" of the twin towers was
rejected by a later investigation by the National
Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST),
which was issued in October 2005 as: "Final
Report on the Collapse of the World Trade Center Towers."
[37]           "The specifics of the fires in
WTC7 and how they caused the building to collapse
remain unknown at this time. Although the total
diesel fuel on the premises contained massive
potential energy, the best hypothesis has only a
low probability of occurrence." Federal Emergency
Management Agency World Trade Center Building
Performance Study, published May 2002.
[38]           There are a great many reports of
molten steel and also of the intense fires that
persisted for weeks after the collapse and so
this is necessarily only a small sample.
                 A member of the New York Air
National Guard's 109th Air Wing was at Ground
Zero from September 22 to October 6. He kept a
journal on which an article containing the
following passage is based: "Smoke constantly
poured from the peaks. One fireman told us that
there was still molten steel at the heart of the
towers' remains. Firemen sprayed water to cool
the debris down but the heat remained intense
enough at the surface to melt their boots."
extract from "Serving on 'sacred ground'",
National Guard,  Dec 2001  by Guy Lounsbury.
                 Another article in The
Newsletter of the Structural Engineers
Association of Utah  that describes a speaking
appearance by Leslie Robertson (structural
engineer responsible for the design of the World
Trade Center) contains the following passage: "As
of 21 days after the attack, the fires were still
burning and molten steel was still running."
                 A report in the John Hopkins
Public Health Magazine (2002) entitled
"Mobilizing Public Health" says: "It is 4 a.m. in
New York City as four researchers from the School
enter the site of the World Trade Center disaster
on foot. Each is lugging from 50 to 90 pounds of
air-monitoring equipment onto Ground Zero. In the
dark, the tangled pile of wreckage takes on a
distinctly hellish cast. 'Fires are still
actively burning and the smoke is very intense,'
reports Alison Geyh, PhD. 'In some pockets now
being uncovered, they are finding molten steel.'"
                 Whilst from "Messages in the
Dust: What are the lessons of the environmental
health response to the terrorist attacks of
September 11th" written by Francesca Lyman,
published by the National Environmental Health
Association in September 2003 we read the
following: "Into this devastated, almost
apocalyptic war zone of a landscape marched a
host of different players from government,
nonprofit groups, hospitals and medical
institutions, and private industry. To some, it
was an environmental health disaster from the
very first. “Standing down there, with your eyes
closed,” says Ron Burger, a public health advisor
at the National Center for Environmental Health,
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, who
arrived in New York to help September 11th but
didn’t arrive to the Ground Zero the site until
the night of September 12th, “it could have been
a tornado or an avalanche or a volcano.” A
veteran of disasters from the Mississippi floods
Mt. St. Helens, Burger said it reminded him most
of the volcano, if he forgot he was in downtown
Manhattan. “Feeling the heat, seeing the molten
steel, the layers upon layers of ash, like lava,
it reminded me of Mt. St. Helen’s and the
thousands who fled that disaster,” he said."
[39]           I refer the reader to Appendix C
of the " Federal Emergency Management Agency
World Trade Center Building Performance Study,
published May 2002, which is entitled "Limited
Metallurgical Examination". The conclusion states
that: "The severe corrosion and subsequent
erosion of Samples 1 and 2 are a very unusual
event. No clear explanation for the source of
sulfur has been identified." I sent a copy of
this Appendix to a friend who happens to have
studied his PhD in the study of corrosion
fatigue. He sent back the following rather
technical reply: Erosion is speculated upon but
the author seems to conclude that it is corrosion
that caused the gross sectional thinning.
                 First of all, considering high
temperature corrosion in the absence of sulphur,
such corrosion rates are unacceptably high for
non-stainless steels to be employed in service at
these temperatures. Iron oxidises rapidly to
wustite (FeO) above 570 deg C. Nevertheless,
this  doesn't seem to cause a big problem in
itself for structural steels within the timescale
of a building fire as evinced by the fact that no
other buildings in the world have collapsed due
to failure of structural steel alone in severe fires.
                 I don't know exactly what
sulphur does to structural steel at 1,000 deg C
but it is generally a highly significant element
in all forms of corrosion (i.e. high temperature
oxidation such as this and lower temperature
aqueous corrosion) and is generally very
aggressive. Iron sulphide (FeS) is soft.
(Sometimes sulphur is added deliberately to steel
to form iron sulphides so that cheap components
can be easily machined.) I would guess that
there's a very high chance that the presence of
sulphur would greatly accelerate the corrosion of steel at this temperature.
                 The author comments about how
the rates of corrosion are unknown. This is
probably why he goes on to say that it may have
occurred in the ground after the collapse since
he doesn't know whether there would have been
sufficient time for this amount of corrosion to
have occurred in the fire before the collapse.
This is obviously a very important point. If
sulphur was implicated in the collapse, we would
have to ask how it got to where it was. For a
large city centre office tower block, no obvious
source comes to mind! I wonder if he was being
diplomatic when he suggested that it may have
occurred slowly in the ground after the collapse.
I doubt if there are any corrosion rate data
already available for this situation as it is too
extreme to be useful to anyone (except forensic
fire investigators looking at this unique case).
Data would probably need to be specially
generated by experiment to determine roughly what rates are plausible.
                 If the sulphidation occurred in
the ground, then we need to ask, how did the
sulphur get to be there. I think the whole thing looks highly suspicious."
[40]           Extract from Kean-Hamilton 9/11
commission report, p.334, Section 10.3 entitled
"Phase two" and the question of Iraq.
[41]           "On Sept. 10, Secretary of Defense
Donald Rumsfeld declared war. Not on foreign
terrorists, "the adversary's closer to home. It's
the Pentagon bureaucracy," he said. He said money
wasted by the military poses a serious threat.
"In fact, it could be said it's a matter of life
and death," he said. Rumsfeld promised change but
the next day – Sept. 11-- the world changed and
in the rush to fund the war on terrorism, the war
on waste seems to have been forgotten.
                 "According to some estimates we
cannot track $2.3 trillion in transactions,"
Rumsfeld admitted. $2.3 trillion ­ that's $8,000
for every man, woman and child in America. "
                 extract from "The War On Waste:
Defense Department Cannot Account For 25% Of
Funds ­ $2.3 Trillion" CBS News, Los Angeles, Jan. 29, 2002.
[42]           "Like Paul Thompson [author of The
Complete 9/11 Timeline], twenty-something
filmmakers Ray Nowosielski and John Duffy had
been touched by September 11th but never thought
much further about it. In the spring of 2003,
during their last semester of film school at
Columbia College in Chicago, a friend mentioned
The Complete 9/11 Timeline in passing. That
evening, Duffy and Nowosielski decided to take a
look. They found themselves unable to stop
reading, scrolling through the web site until
being interrupted by sunrise. Though the
filmmakers had never had any interest in the
genre of documentary, as the months passed, they
grew to believe that this was a story the
American public needed to hear. By the 2nd
anniversary of September 11th, they were seeking
the funding for what would eventually become
'9/11 Press for Truth'." taken from official
website at http://www.911pressfortruth.com/#

[43]           “Some staff members and
commissioners of the Sept. 11 panel concluded
that the Pentagon's initial story of how it
reacted to the 2001 terrorist attacks may have
been part of a deliberate effort to mislead the
commission and the public rather than a
reflection of the fog of events on that day,
according to sources involved in the debate.

                 “Suspicion of wrongdoing ran so
deep that the 10-member commission, in a secret
meeting at the end of its tenure in summer 2004,
debated referring the matter to the Justice
Department for criminal investigation, according
to several commission sources. Staff members and
some commissioners thought that e-mails and other
evidence provided enough probable cause to
believe that military and aviation officials
violated the law by making false statements to
Congress and to the commission, hoping to hide
the bungled response to the hijackings, these sources said.

                 “In the end, the panel agreed to
a compromise, turning over the allegations to the
inspectors general for the Defense and
Transportation departments, who can make criminal
referrals if they believe they are warranted, officials said.

                 “"We to this day don't know why
NORAD [the North American Aerospace Command] told
us what they told us," said Thomas H. Kean, the
former New Jersey Republican governor who led the
commission. "It was just so far from the truth. .
. . It's one of those loose ends that never got
tied."” extract from “9/11 Panel Suspected
Deception by Pentagon: Allegations Brought to
Inspectors General” written by Dan Eggen,
Washington Post Staff Writer, from Wednesday, August 2, 2006; A03
[44]           "In no instance did NIST report
that steel in the WTC towers melted due to the
fires. The melting point of steel is about 1,500
degrees Celsius (2,800 degrees Fahrenheit).
Normal building fires and hydrocarbon (e.g., jet
fuel) fires generate temperatures up to about
1,100 degrees Celsius (2,000 degrees Fahrenheit).
NIST reported maximum upper layer air
temperatures of about 1,000 degrees Celsius
(1,800 degrees Fahrenheit) in the WTC towers (for
example, see NCSTAR 1, Figure 6-36). However,
when bare steel reaches temperatures of 1,000
degrees Celsius, it softens and its strength
reduces to roughly 10 percent of its room
temperature value." from NIST's Answers to
Frequently Asked Questions (August 30, 2006).
[45]           mass of building x g x height/2 =
mass of steel x c x change in temperature
                  where mass of each tower =
500,000 tons, height of towers = 411m, mass of
steel = 100,000 tons, and specific heat capacity
of steel = 500 J/Kg/K (this value may vary
between 400-600 depending on composition).
[46]           the specific latent heat of fusion
of steel is about 270,000 J/Kg. So to melt just
10 tons of the original 100,000, would require
2.7 billion Joules of energy, which is about a
quarter percent of the total available (at a conservative estimate).
[47]           You might argue that by assuming
all the energy was evenly distributed I have
greatly under-estimated what could have happened
on a local scale. That some parts of the building
would have been significantly more bent or
twisted or otherwise deformed than other parts.
That they could have got substantially hotter
than the average. This is true, of course, but
then we might very reasonably expect that it was
those regions regions lower down in the building
that would experienced the greatest forces and
impacts. But since these are areas at the
furthest distances away from the fires we would
expect the steel in those areas to be cool -
around room temperature - and therefore requiring
substantially greater increases in internal
energy to reach melting point. It should also be
noted that the steel framework of the building
would have acted like a giant heat sink
continually conducting heat away to cooler
regions and so continually distributing the
internal energy more evenly throughout.
[48]           The average kinetic energy per
unit mass is commensurate and so we might reasonably expect similar effects.
[49]           from NIST's Answers to Frequently
Asked Questions (August 30, 2006).
[50]           ibid.

http://groups.google.com/group/uk-911-truth
http://www.youtube.com/user/PublicEnquiry
www.globalresearch.ca
www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1407615751783.2051663.1274106225&l=90330c0ba5&type=1

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic
poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung

Fear not therefore: for there is nothing covered
that shall not be revealed; and nothing hid that
shall not be made known. What I tell you in
darkness, that speak ye in the light and what ye
hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops. Matthew 10:26-27

Die Pride and Envie; Flesh, take the poor's advice.
Covetousnesse be gon: Come, Truth and Love arise.
Patience take the Crown; throw Anger out of dores:
Cast out Hypocrisie and Lust, which follows whores:
Then England sit in rest; Thy sorrows will have end;
Thy Sons will live in peace, and each will be a friend.
http://tinyurl.com/6ct7zh6