Government releases £14m for community-led housing

National Community Land Trust Network tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Tue Apr 2 18:42:03 BST 2013

National Community Land Trust Network

[]

Welcome to our latest newsflash - this isn't
quite our normal format, but we have some big
news to share - £14 million worth of big news.
For more of the rest of the news from across the
CLT sector, take a look at our
<http://www.communitylandtrusts.org.uk/home>website.
www.communitylandtrusts.org.uk

Government announces £14m funding to start CLTs

Housing Minister Mark Prisk has announced that
£14 million of grant funding will be made
available to support CLTs and other community-led
development organisations as they get started.

The rules governing funding for the
<http://mycommunityrights.org.uk/community-right-to-build/>Community
Right to Build are to be relaxed, to make it
available for community developers using a
variety of different development routes, not just
the Community Right to Build itself.

The minister announced the move on a visit to
<http://www.lilac.coop/>LILAC, the innovative
cohousing project in Leeds. "With interest in
this industry growing, I'm keen to ensure it goes
from strength to strength", he said.

The
<http://www.communitylandtrusts.org.uk/home>National
CLT Network will be working with Locality, the UK
Cohousing Network, the National Self Build
Association, Self-help Housing and the
Confederation of Co-operative Housing to
encourage more local projects to come forward for support.

Catherine Harrington, National Coordinator at the
National Community Land Trust Network was quoted
in the Government's press release, saying:

“We welcome the government's announcement for
£14 million seedcorn funding for communities.
There are already 150 communities setting up
Community Land Trusts and delivering permanently
affordable homes across England, with on average
one new community land trust forming every week.

“With such vital seedcorn funding we could see
thousands of active citizens building more homes
and taking control of their housing choices and
the future of their communities. This is a
significant step towards community-led housing
becoming a real, meaningful alternative for those
priced out of the housing market.

Further information

Currently, community groups in England (outside
London) can apply for funding to help them to
formally establish themselves, prepare their
development proposals and submit a Community
Right to Build Order under the Localism Act 2011.

This new announcement will enable more groups
wishing to bring forward community led
development to apply, even if they do not plan to
use the Community Right to Build. The funding is
managed by the
<http://www.homesandcommunities.co.uk/community-right-to-build>Homes
and Communities Agency, and revised guidance for
prospective bidders will be made available shortly.

About £14 million is available until the end of
March 2015. Separate funding arrangements are
available for London, and are administered by the
<http://www.london.gov.uk/priorities/housing-land/increasing-housing-supply/build-your-own-home-the-london-way>Greater
London Authority.

We'll have more information on how to apply, and
how we can help, in due course.

[]

Keswick CLT start on site

Don't forget to get your stories in for the next
News from the Network, coming out later this
month. To share what you've been up to, get in
touch with us on
<mailto:hannah.fleetwood at housing.org.uk>hannah.fleetwood at housing.org.uk
or 020 7067 1039.
National Community Land Trust Network
c/o National Housing Federation Lion Court, 25
Procter Street London England WC1V 6NY
Email: <mailto:clt at housing.org.uk>clt at housing.org.uk  Telephone: 020 7067 1191
[]