Chancing it in Cheshire: Queen concretes over 'her' green belt

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Tue Apr 2 22:22:11 BST 2013

The Queen 'is holding us to ransom', say villagers
Fury at Duchy of Lancaster's plans to build 4,000 homes on green belt
Paul Gallagher - Sunday 31 March 2013
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/the-queen-is-holding-us-to-ransom-say-villagers-8555351.html
In the red corner there are revolting villagers.
In the blue corner, Her Majesty the Queen. At
stake is a corner of England's green and pleasant
land that the former want preserved and the
latter is proposing to build more than 4,000 homes on.
The Duchy of Lancaster estate, which manages
royal lands, has submitted plans to build two
villages together with an industrial site on land
it owns near Crewe in Cheshire. The proposals
include building on nearly 700 acres of
green-belt land. The plans come as the Campaign
to Protect Rural England warned the countryside
faces devastation with the new National Planning
Policy Framework (NPPF) coming into force. Around
80,000 houses are being proposed in green belts, according to the CPRE.
The duchy submitted the plans to Cheshire East
Council, and, if approved, construction will
begin in 2015. The duchy provides private income for the Queen.
The scheme has provoked a citizens' revolt in the
nearby village of Barthomley, pictured above.
Locals say the proposals will destroy their way
of life. Two neighbouring councils have also
objected to the plans, saying they will harm
businesses and regeneration in their area, and
Edward Timpson, MP for Crewe and Nantwich, has
come out in support of opponents.
Barthomley residents have already accused the
duchy of submitting its latest plans at the last
minute to prevent them from objecting. The duchy
argues its plans will support jobs, deliver new
homes and provide "opportunities for green
infrastructure" and "enhanced access to the countryside".
The duchy also said the plans will "contribute
vital land required for the upgrading of the A500
to junction 16 of the M6". Until recently,
Cheshire East has used compulsory purchase orders
to buy land to extend the A500, but the duchy is
exempt. Campaigners argue the Queen's estate is
exerting its influence by offering land in
exchange for vast areas of green belt for
building. The deal will be worth hundreds of
millions of pounds. According to its submission
it proposes building on 700 acres of green belt
land "west of the M6 but north of the A500
 as
this landscape makes a limited contribution".
New rules require council planners to be in
favour of "sustainable development" when making
decisions. The Queen received £12.9m from the
duchy towards her private income in the last
financial year, a drop from £13.3m in the
previous 12-month period. The Crewe estate is worth almost £63m.
At the end of the last financial year, the Duchy
of Lancaster had more than £400m in net assets.
It is one of two royal duchies in England, the
other being the Duchy of Cornwall, which provides
Prince Charles with his private income.
Tom Wilde, chair of the Barthomley Action Group,
told The IoS: "The duchy is holding the local
authority to ransom on this with the council very
clear in their ambition to widen the road.
Planning such huge developments should not be
done on a quid pro quo basis like this. The
building of the new villages will destroy
hundreds of acres of the green belt and will be
devastating for our village." The group is
seeking to raise £10,000 in donations for a legal
advice fighting fund to oppose duchy moves.
Sir Andrew Motion, chairman of the CPRE, said
last week the new planning rules will "wreck the
countryside". He said: "Developing greenfield
sites unnecessarily and with inadequate local
consultation is the wrong way to make sure that
we get the new homes the country so badly needs."
Roughly 13 per cent of England's land area is
designated as green belt, covering more than 1.6
million hectares. The CPRE is urging people to
write to their MPs as it campaigns to prevent a "building free-for-all".
The National Trust's chairman, Sir Simon Jenkins,
said last week only designated national parks
will enjoy "full safeguarding" and that the new
planning laws had resulted in "pandemonium". He
added: "This is upending brownfield first in favour of greenfield first."
Ruth Rosenau, a Stoke-on-Trent city councillor,
said: "We do not feel there is justification to
build at this location. We are also opposed to a
significant amount of office space being
created." Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Council is
also negotiating with Cheshire East Council after
objecting to the duchy's plans because it says local businesses will be harmed.
A Duchy of Lancaster spokeswoman said: "Major
change is always unsettling and, while we
understand the views expressed by those affected,
the duchy has a responsibility and the
opportunity to make a substantial contribution to
the aspirations of the elected council and
believes that it must consider the housing and
employment needs of the wider society. The
planning consultation is in its initial stages
and the question of any sale of land has not been addressed as yet."
A spokesman for Cheshire East Council said the plans were being considered.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/the-queen-is-holding-us-to-ransom-say-villagers-8555351.html

Duchy names Clarke's successor
13 Mar 2013, 10:31
The Duchy of Lancaster has named Forth Ports
property director Nathan Thompson as its new chief executive.
http://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/archive/13210-duchy-names-clarke-s-successor.html
Thompson trained as a chartered surveyor and has
25 years' experience in senior roles: at MEPC,
where he ran their central London business; as a
director of JER Partners, a US private equity
fund; and latterly as managing director of the
property division of Forth Ports and a member of the group management board.
He will also assume the role of Clerk of the
Duchy Council, the Duchy's decision-making body,
which is chaired by Lord Shuttleworth, a former
Abbey National director who is currently chairman
of trustees of the Abbey National Group Pension
Funds and Lord-Lieutenant of Lancashire.
The Duchy said Thompson will begin touring the
Duchy's various properties and estates in May and
officially take up his role on 1 August 2013.
He will replace, Paul Clarke, who spent nearly 13
years at the helm. Clarke said: "I've thoroughly
enjoyed my time at the Duchy of Lancaster and am
pleased to leave it in Nathan's very capable
hands. I know everyone at the Duchy will wish him
the best of luck as he begins his new role, which
I know from experience, can be challenging as well as incredibly rewarding.
"I'm also very pleased that despite recent trends
in the broader property market, I leave with the
Duchy in a healthy and robust shape and with lots
of exciting opportunities ahead of it."
Thompson said: "I am delighted to be given the
opportunity to be part of this historic and
prestigious organisation. The Duchy of Lancaster
has an impressive and diverse portfolio of assets
as well as a strong team. I am very much looking
forward to working with them and all those involved with the Duchy."
The Duchy of Lancaster is a private portfolio of
land, property and assets across the UK held for
the Sovereign in Right of His or Her Duchy of
Lancaster. The Duke of Lancaster is a hereditary
title, which the King or Queen of the day holds.
Founded in the 13th century, the Duchy of
Lancaster is a private portfolio of land,
property and assets held for the Sovereign in
Right of His or Her Duchy of Lancaster. Today,
The Duchy of Lancaster is custodian of 46,200
acres across England and Wales, including key
urban developments, historic buildings, farm land
and areas of natural beauty. The estate includes
11,500 acres in Lancashire and 4,900 acres in Cheshire.
The Queen is entitled to the income from the
Duchy estate, but not the capital or any capital
gains which must be preserved for future Dukes of Lancaster.

The End Of Britain
ad. Find Out Why The Looming Crisis Could Mean The End Of Britain!
http://www.moneyweek.com/endofbritain
+44 (0)7786 952037
www.thisweek.org.uk
www.dialectradio.co.uk
Fear not therefore: for there is nothing covered
that shall not be revealed; and nothing hid that
shall not be made known. What I tell you in
darkness, that speak ye in the light and what ye
hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops. Matthew 10:26-27