Merry Christmas from the National CLT Network

National Community Land Trust Network tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Thu Dec 26 20:03:40 GMT 2013

National Community Land Trust Network

[]

Dear All

A very, very happy Christmas to all our readers!

[]

Faster than a flurry of snow there's a flurry of CLT activity across
the land. Keswick Community Housing Trust has just completed The
Hopes, just in time for Christmas, and the gifts are being exchanged
early in Lincolnshire as Pinchbeck and Wilsford CLTs acquire the
freeholds on their first sites. Has someone been peeking at our Christmas list?

We're off over the Christmas period (back on 6th January), but there
will be plenty of CLT activity to look out for from us in the new
year. Just to whet your appetites, here's a teaser for a few things
coming soon...
    * Taster Seminars. Building on our Getting it Built! events that
we held around the country, organised jointly with the UK Cohousing
Network and Locality, we'll be doing another 4 taster seminars on
community-led housing in Oxford, Brighton, Hereford and Huddersfield
to unlock enabling support for community housing, including from
Local Authorities. Do let us know if there are people you think
should be on the invite list.
    * Urban CLT Project. Thanks to generous support from the Oak
Foundation, in April next year we'll be kickstarting a two-year
project to support 20 pilot Urban CLTs and prove that CLTs can thrive
in our cities. The details of this, including how to apply, will be
available in the new year.
    * The Network is becoming independent. If you read our previous
newsletter or have been following
<http://www.communitylandtrusts.org.uk/news-list/clt-blog-transition>Catherine's
CLT blog, then you'll know that the Network is going through a big
transition. We'll be saying goodbye to our hosts, the National
Housing Federation, who have supported us since we were first set up.
Instead we'll be setting ourselves up as a company in our own right,
with a new home to boot. Look out for more updates in the new year as
things develop or
<mailto:hannah.fleetwood at housing.org.uk?subject=Newsletter:%20Get%20in%20touch>get
in touch to find out more.
    * Our new membership offer. We're not just setting the Network up
afresh - we'll also be looking at giving our members a better deal,
following what you told us in our membership survey. We'll let you
know more about the forthcoming benefits in February.
    * Because you're worth it - the Social Impact of CLTs. The
Network has been working with the University of Salford to develop a
tool to help CLTs measure and demonstrate their social impact. This
will help make the case for CLTs to local authorities, funders - and
your own community. We'll be looking to disseminate this in the new year.

And there's lots more in store. Happy new year!

Top stories

<http://www.communitylandtrusts.org.uk/news-list/keswick-clt-complete>The
Hopes is now a reality

Keswick Community Housing Trust has completed their landmark housing
scheme just in time for Christmas. Read on to hear more about why
this is a scheme worth celebrating.
<http://www.communitylandtrusts.org.uk/news-list/keswick-clt-complete>
[]

<http://www.communitylandtrusts.org.uk/news-list/lincolnshire-schemes-acquire-site>Lincolnshire
land is now held in perpetuity

Land for 24 permanently affordable homes was secured in Lincolnshire
this week, as 2 local CLTs acquired their freeholds. Congratulations
to Pinchbeck and Wilsford CLTs - read on to find out what they are
planning.
<http://www.communitylandtrusts.org.uk/news-list/lincolnshire-schemes-acquire-site>
[]

<http://www.uk.coop/sites/storage/public/downloads/commons_sense.pdf>The
reading list: Commons Sense

Make room amid the Radio Times listings for an interesting piece of
reading over the holidays. The Cooperatives UK report, Commons Sense,
was launched this month. Edited by CLT guru Pat Conaty and Martin
Large, it calls for 21st Century garden city solutions that give
genuine community ownership and capture land value increases for
future benefit. Well worth a
read!  <http://www.uk.coop/sites/storage/public/downloads/commons_sense.pdf>
[]

That's all from us until the new year. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!
Hannah and Catherine

P.s. Don't forget you can keep up with the latest news on
<http://www.communitylandtrusts.org.uk/home>our website, by following
the Network on <https://twitter.com/Community_Land>Twitter, or speak
with other CLTs on the <http://communitylandtrusts.ning.com/>CLT
Discussion Forum.

This is the regular newsletter from the National CLT Network. If you
would prefer not to receive this email, click
<mailto:hannah.fleetwood at housing.org.uk?subject=UNSUBSCRIBE>UNSUBSCRIBE
to tell a member of our team.
National Community Land Trust Network
c/o National Housing Federation Lion Court, 25 Procter Street London
England WC1V 6NY
Email: <mailto:clt at housing.org.uk>clt at housing.org.uk  Telephone: 020 7067 1191
[]