Palestinian tent village in Jerusalem evicted despite court ruling

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Mon Jan 14 19:06:51 GMT 2013

Israel evicts E1 Palestinian peace camp protesters
Israeli military detain activists in early
morning swoop on Bab al-Shams encampment despite supreme court ruling
Harriet Sherwood in Jerusalem - The Guardian -
Sunday 13 January 2013 11.56 GMT
The Israeli state has swung into action against a
group of Palestinian activists who established a
tent village on a rocky hillside east of
Jerusalem, with hundreds of security officials
carrying out an eviction under the orders of the
prime minister, Binyamin Netanyahu, in the early hours of Sunday morning.
According to activists, a large military force
surrounded the encampment at around 3am. All
protesters were detained and six were injured, said Abir Kopty.
On Saturday evening, Netanyahu demanded the
Israeli supreme court overturn an injunction
preventing the removal of the protesters, and
ordered the area to be declared a closed military zone.
Around 200 Palestinian activists set up the
village, named Bab al-Shams ("gate of the sun")
and comprising around 20 tents, early on Friday
morning on a highly sensitive swath of land known
as E1, which Israel has earmarked for settlement
development. The protesters' actions echoed the
tactics of radical settlers when establishing outposts in the West Bank.
The tents were erected on privately owned
Palestinian land, the protesters said, with the
full permission of the landowners. The activists
sought legal protection from the supreme court,
which granted an injunction against eviction and
gave the state of Israel up to six days to respond.
Following the eviction, the Popular Struggle
Co-ordinating Committee, which was involved in
setting up the camp, said the state's actions
were illegal because Bab al-Shams was established
on private land. "The action succeeded in
inspiring all the residents of the village as
well as Palestinians around the world. This is
not the end of the popular struggle."
Palestinian legislator Mustafa Barghouti, who was
among those detained, said the eviction was
"proof that the Israeli government operates an
apartheid system. Firstly it decided that supreme
court decisions do not apply to Palestinians. And
secondly, there are more than 120 Israeli
outposts in the West Bank that are illegal even
under Israeli law. Not only are they still there,
but they are expanding and they are being
legalised one after another. We were there for
less than 48 hours, and the state used violent
force against a non-violent peaceful resistance movement."
The protest was launched six weeks after
Netanyahu announced plans to press ahead with the
development of E1, triggering strong
international condemnation. The area, measuring
around 12 sq km, lies between Jerusalem and the
vast West Bank settlement of Ma'ale Adumim.
The Palestinian Authority and most western
diplomats say the development of E1 will damage
the prospects of a viable Palestinian state by
almost bisecting the West Bank, effectively
cutting it off from East Jerusalem, which is
intended to be the future capital of a Palestinian state.
Speaking on Israel army radio on Sunday,
Netanyahu said that planning for E1 is moving
ahead and that "there will be construction".
Asked why the protesters were removed, Netanyahu
said: "They have no reason to be there. I asked
immediately to close the area so people would not
gather there needlessly and generate friction and disrupt public order."
On Saturday, scores of Palestinian activists
visited the site, perched close to a Bedouin
encampment and within sight of a huge Israeli
police headquarters. Activists brewed sweet tea
and coffee on open fires, and volunteers manned a
medical centre in one tent. Rubbish was collected
by a team organised by a member of the seven-strong "village council".
Mahmoud Zawahra, a protest leader, described the
tent village as "constructive resistance".
"We are part of a non-violent resistance
movement. For us, this is occupied land so we
created a village to stop the Israeli plan to
build a settlement here," he said.
Another activist, Samir, who declined to give his
full name, said the protest had been organised
secretly. "We know the army follows us on Twitter
and Facebook, so we made out we were holding a protest somewhere else."
Activists were trained in non-violent resistance
techniques, he added. "This is not a Scout camp,
it is to empower Palestinians on the ground. We
know [the army] will come, and we are prepared."
Tha'ar Aniz, from nearby Azariya, said
temperatures had plummeted overnight. "It was
very cold. But if you want to be free, you have to withstand such things."
Israeli security forces prevented Palestinian
officials Hanan Ashrawi and Saeb Erekat from
visiting the site on Saturday. Earlier, Ashrawi
welcomed the establishment of Bab al-Shams,
saying: "This initiative is a highly creative and
legitimate non-violent tool to protect our land from Israeli colonial plans.
"We have the right to live anywhere in our state,
and we call upon the international community to
support such initiatives, as well as to protect
those who are being threatened by Israeli
occupation forces for exercising their right to
peaceful resistance against the illegal Israeli occupation."
• This article was amended on 14 January 2013.
Activists were detained but not formally arrested. This has been corrected.

pix - vid -
http://rt.com/news/israeli-evict-palestinian-camp-babalshams-884/comments/

Palestinians evicted from E1, east of Jerusalem,
less than 48 hours after beginning protest
Independent - Alistair Dawber - Jerusalem - Sunday 13 January 2013
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/palestinians-evicted-from-e1-east-of-jerusalem-less-than-48-hours-after-beginning-protest-8449666.html
A group of Palestinian protesters who had built a
tented village in a strategically important area
of the West Bank have been evicted by Israeli
police, less than 48 hours after beginning their action.
As many as 250 protesters were moved by the
police and members of the Israeli Defence Force
from the site in the area known as E1, east of
Jerusalem, which has been earmarked for development by Israeli settlers.
The Palestinians, borrowing a tactic from
settlers in the West Bank, moved into the area on
Friday saying that they wanted to establish
‘facts of the ground,’ a phase often used during
peace negotiations to recognise realities on the
ground, rather than historic claims to ownership of land.
The activists said that they wanted to build a
village called Bab al-Shams, or Gateway to the
Sun, at the site. The bid comes two weeks after
Benjamin Netanyahu, the Israeli Prime Minister,
said that Israel would press ahead with plans to
build a settlement in the area, in response to
the declaration at the United Nations of de facto
Palestinian statehood in November.
The UN declaration attracted support from most
nations, with Israel and the United States voting
against the bid - the UK government abstained.
The commitment by the Israeli government to build
settlements comes despite the area being
internationally recognised as occupied Palestinian territory.
Palestinians say furthermore, that construction
of a new settlement would seriously jeopardise
the prospects of a future Palestinian state, as
it would effectively cut off the West Bank from
East Jerusalem, which they have designated as
their capital city. The site cleared lies between
East Jerusalem and the existing Jewish settlement of Maale Adumin.
Palestinian activist, Abdullah Abu Rahma, said
that the protesters hoped to continue their
action, and would re-pitch their tents. “Today,
we will see if we can return," he said. It is
thought that the Palestinians could also repeat
the move in other parts of the West Bank.
Israeli police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said
police evicted the protesters from the site after
a court decision authorising their removal.
According to the Associated Press, he did not
know which court had allowed the eviction. Mr
Rosenfled said that there had been no injuries, a
point disputed by the Palestinians who said that
six people had been lightly hurt.
In a statement, the Popular Struggle Coordination
Committee, a grass-roots Palestinian group, said:
“Even though we were evicted, our strength was
apparent since the police needed hundreds and
hundreds of special unit police officers.”
Mr Netanyahu ordered that roads leading to the
area be closed on Saturday evening and instructed
the military to declare a closed military zone
and shut off access. The prime minister’s office
added that the state was petitioning Israel’s
Supreme Court to rescind an earlier injunction
blocking the evacuation. On Friday, the Supreme
Court had given the protesters six days to dismantle their tents.
The issue of E1 settlement building has returned
in recent weeks, although many doubt that the
Israelis genuinely intend to build in the area,
rather it is being used as a general election
issue, with the polls now just over a week away.

Twitter: @TonyGosling http://twitter.com/tonygosling
http://groups.google.com/group/uk-911-truth
http://www.youtube.com/user/PublicEnquiry
www.globalresearch.ca
www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1407615751783.2051663.1274106225&l=90330c0ba5&type=1

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic
poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung

Fear not therefore: for there is nothing covered
that shall not be revealed; and nothing hid that
shall not be made known. What I tell you in
darkness, that speak ye in the light and what ye
hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops. Matthew 10:26-27

Die Pride and Envie; Flesh, take the poor's advice.
Covetousnesse be gon: Come, Truth and Love arise.
Patience take the Crown; throw Anger out of dores:
Cast out Hypocrisie and Lust, which follows whores:
Then England sit in rest; Thy sorrows will have end;
Thy Sons will live in peace, and each will be a friend.
http://tinyurl.com/6ct7zh6