Somerset rep resigns: NFU 'doesn't care about its membership'

Zardoz tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sat Mar 9 14:12:04 GMT 2013

Remember this (bottom article) from many moons ago?

All looks mightily relevant with the NFU press conference the other week with the half-hearted applause for the Badger cull despite farmers being bussed in from all over the country to make it look like the NFU had reall mass support for the cull.

Just like so many areas of our public policy life the NFU is being run more like a cult than a trade union. Farmers for Justice has sprung up of course in an attempt to make amends for the corruptionn but simply can never forge the links with the finance crooks that give preferential insurance to NFU loyalists.

Makes me wonder whether no Alternative movement attempting a united front will have any hope of success unless it incorporates all the real, farmers for justice style, campaigns and groups.

With that understanding that the NFU never can be any part of the solution and land reform part of the agenda we might see some real pioneering change in Britain.

Like many Brits before me, Gerrard Winstanley and Dennis Wheatley to name but two, I have a sense that, as the first nation to industrialise and just retain a half decent education system, we really could lead the world ... yes lead it ... into a socially just post-industrial era.

Tony

for good measure here is a follow up article on the Somerset NFU rep who had enough.

Mead spills the milk over NFU battles
Wednesday, October 27, 2010
http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/Mead-spills-milk-NFU-battles/story-11355132-detail/story.html#axzz2MzqzNJMY

Somerset dairy farmer Derek Mead is resigning from the NFU in protest at what he says is its total failure to support dairy farmers.
​
Derek Mead has resigned from the NFU because, he says, the organisation has failed to support dairy farmers over the prices supermarkets pay for milk

In a surprise announcement Mr Mead, a lifelong union member and Somerset's delegate on its ruling council, says the NFU has turned a blind eye to thousands of dairy farmers leaving the industry over low milk prices.

Mr Mead is one of the most powerful and outspoken figures in West Country farming, though his outspokenness has often put him at odds with union officials, particularly during his two bids for election to one of the NFU's top posts.

He owns a large organic farm near Weston-super-Mare and is a member of a dynasty whose empire includes ownership of Yeo Valley.

Mr Mead is also heavily involved in the construction sector. His companies were responsible for the total remodelling of the centre of Highbridge, near Bridgwater.

That itself was part of the scheme to relocate the town's livestock market to Sedgemoor Auction Centre, his £10 million development next to the M5 in North Petherton, which is widely credited with reinvigorating the entire livestock trade in the South West.

Mr Mead has had less success in trying to reshape the NFU into an effective campaigning force.

He helped set up Farmers For Action to combat low milk prices in the 1990s but has frequently clashed with senior office-holders over NFU policy.

"We are no further forward than we were 10 years ago," he said. "We have seen thousands of dairy farmers leave the industry and dozens are still leaving, because they can't get a decent price for their milk.

"But it's as if the NFU is deliberately turning a blind eye to this fact. From my perspective it seems more concerned about keeping in with processors and retailers than standing up for its members."

Mr Mead said he was equally disgusted with the union's attitude to government.

"We have had a succession of the most appalling Defra ministers and all we can do is invite them to the annual conference, listen politely to them and give them lunch," he said.

Mr Mead said the NFU had failed to grasp the significance of the bovine TB crisis and had not discussed a new business plan for reshaping the union.

"As to the way it has dealt with the milk issue its response has been nothing short of pathetic," he said.

Bridgwater's Conservative MP Ian Liddell-Grainger said: "It is a very principled move and one which should send a very powerful message indeed to the NFU."

NFU spokesman Ian Johnson said: "Derek's trenchant views have been a feature of our debates for some years and he has always pursued his agenda with a true passion.

"We shall miss his contributions and we wish him well on whichever future road he intends to take."