Railroads to freedom: The drifters living and dreaming on America's freight trains

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Sat Mar 9 17:16:30 GMT 2013

Railroads to freedom: The drifters living and
dreaming on America's freight trains
Running from poverty or chasing their dreams,
these drifters find a kind of freedom on
America's freight trains – and Mike Brodie has
gone along for the ride, creating these haunting photographs.
Charlie Cooper
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/art/features/railroads-to-freedom-the-drifters-living-and-dreaming-on-americas-freight-trains-8523098.html
Friday 08 March 2013
Nothing cuts to the heart of America like the
railroads. Anyone with even a passing familiarity
with country, blues or even Bob Dylan will know
how trains rattle through American folk music,
evoking the great open spaces of the continent –
and the individuals that get lost in them.
During the Great Depression of the 1930s, tens of
thousands of economic migrants were to be found
bedding down each night in the boxcars of freight
trains that swallowed up the immense distances
between states. A great many of them didn't even
have anywhere to go. Thanks to troubadours like
Woody Guthrie, the legend of the hobo was born:
the American wanderer spirit, a modernist
descendant of the rail-building pioneer of generations before.

Emacs!

click link for picture gallery
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/art/features/railroads-to-freedom-the-drifters-living-and-dreaming-on-americas-freight-trains-8523098.html?action=gallery

Nearly a century down the line, thousands are
still riding the rails, mostly young men and
women, some running away from poverty in a
country that still struggles to provide for its
poor, others just looking for an adventure and the romance of the railroad.
One of them, Arizona-born Mike Brodie, decided to
take some pictures along the way. Leaving his
home in Pensacola, Florida at 17, he spent the
best part of ten years jumping freight trains,
hitchhiking and finding work and sustenance where
he could. Using an old Polaroid camera that had
been sitting redundant on the back seat of a
friend's car, he began taking pictures in 2004 – and found it hard to stop.
The photographs he took in the ensuing years are
a rare document of an American subculture – and a
curious portrait of the country's youth.
Collected together into a new book, A Period of
Juvenile Prosperity, the pictures centre on the
people Brodie met along the way.
"I never knew what these photos were going to
turn into, what they were going to represent," he
says. "It was intuitive – photographing things
near to me, things attractive to me, things that
seemed important at the time, but I always knew I
wanted to photograph the train hoppers."
Though conscious of the cultural archetypes in
whose tracks he was following, Brodie says the
"lure" of the railroads was instinctive. So too
was his affinity with the camera. "I learned it
somehow – training myself and seeing other things
quite randomly I wanted to copy," he says. "The
first pictures I liked were the photos in the BMX
and skateboarding magazines I read as a kid. I
came across books; one was Stevef McCurry's
portraits for National Geographic. Most of my first pictures sucked, though."
His natural eye for composition and instinct for
the foibles of Polaroid photography quickly began
to attract the attention of established
photographers and galleries. But even when his
pictures began appearing in exhibitions, Brodie
kept on riding the rails. He changed from a
Polaroid to a 35mm Nikon F3, but his subjects
remained the same – the train hoppers.
Brodie himself insists that he wasn't running
away from anything – and nor were many of his
fellow travellers. "I can't speak for everyone
but the majority just wanted a taste of that free
lifestyle, that American adventure. They wanted
to leave town, ride the trains, see the country
and figure out what they wanted to do with their
life. As for myself, I was naturally drawn to go and
 check some things out."
One of the most striking images shows a slim
young man doing a very good impression of Johnny
Cash's iconic middle finger – while hanging off the back of a speeding train.
"He goes by the name of Soup," Brodie recalls.
"From Montgomery, Alabama. A movie could be made
out of his life. He left home and went on the
street at a young age. He was running away from
something. Everyone else was doing it by choice. He was different."
Brodie has become something of an unlikely
favourite of America's photographic
establishment, who were astonished by the
technical accomplishment of this unknown,
self-taught drifter. He won the Baum Award for
Emerging American Photographers in 2007 and has
been featured in exhibitions all over the USA.
Despite the adulation, Brodie, 27, now works as a
truck mechanic in Oakland, California. He says he
will take photographs again "once I've made a
life for myself". He says he does think about
riding the railroads again – and he still sleeps in a sleeping bag every night.

'A Period of Prosperity' by Mike Brodie is
published by Twin Palms at $65. An exhibition of
Brodie's work is at the Yossi Milo Gallery, New York, until 6 April
www.globalresearch.ca
www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1407615751783.2051663.1274106225&l=90330c0ba5&type=1

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic poison which
alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung

Fear not therefore: for there is nothing covered that shall not be
revealed; and nothing hid that shall not be made known. What I tell
you in darkness, that speak ye in the light and what ye hear in the
ear, that preach ye upon the housetops. Matthew 10:26-27

Die Pride and Envie; Flesh, take the poor's advice.
Covetousnesse be gon: Come, Truth and Love arise.
Patience take the Crown; throw Anger out of dores:
Cast out Hypocrisie and Lust, which follows whores:
Then England sit in rest; Thy sorrows will have end;
Thy Sons will live in peace, and each will be a friend.
http://tinyurl.com/6ct7zh6