Fwd: News from Civic Voice: Griff Rhys Jones and Nick Boles MP to address MPs at a meeting of the All Party Parliamentary Group for Civic Societies

Mark Barrett marknbarrett at googlemail.com
Wed May 8 21:41:52 BST 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Dear all,****

Please see below a press release from Civic Voice regarding the All Party
Parliamentary Group for Civic Societies next week.
 [image: Civic Voice - talking civic sense] PRESS RELEASE
*Immediate release*
*May 8th 2013*
 Griff Rhys Jones to address MPs on the importance of the community voice
in the planning system Griff Rhys Jones and the Planning Minister, Nick
Boles MP to attend meeting of the All Party Parliamentary Group for Civic
Societies
The importance of community involvement in the planning system will be put
under the spotlight when MPs and Peers gather at Portcullis House on May 13
th for a meeting of the All Party Parliamentary Group for Civic Societies
to hear Griff Rhys Jones and Nick Boles MP.

 Laura Sandys MP, Chair of the All Party Parliamentary Group for Civic
Societies said “*There are around 50 MP’s and Peers who are members of the
APPG. This demonstrates the strength of support the civic movement has in
the Houses of Parliament. I am grateful that the Planning Minister and
Griff Rhys Jones are able to attend this meeting and I look forward to
chairing what should be an interesting discussion*”.

 Topics to be discussed at the meeting include:

   - The challenges to encouraging widespread involvement in neighbourhood
   planning
   - A review of the Government’s recent changes to permitted development
   rights
   - Timescales local authorities have to implement their local plans

 Paula Ridley CBE, Chair of Civic Voice finished by saying “*Civic groups
play a vital role in the democratic process which was recently demonstrated
when nearly 400 MPs were contacted by civic societies over the Government's
proposed permitted development changes. This resulted in the Government
making some significant amendments on this key planning policy. We look
forward to putting our members’ queries on the role of communities in the
planning system to the Minister*”.

 Anyone who would like to contribute a question to the debate should email
info at civicvoice.org.uk
 A list of MPs and Peers supporting the group can be accessed at
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm/cmallparty/register/civil-society-and-volunteering.htm<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001z5eHSeBBSSdhzKNAExMG4mde-XvADsk-Le0rsdbMucWdg7YrkuwALqOd3Hi72Xc9GYKLDR-4zJTFl8rK40SNuPAI6pyg2DH_kruV_Ga_zkGIxTMxpKitJ6Mk1ULFen-YxHkLt4h00Fg6NmoNPs3NjpyAFga1KthDBy6cLWbPpdsrJ39tgdbkmqUepT6Y5dHfmv9S_1L2z-av8nmT-mX8tYSG8q76n3SD>
.