Swansea BioChar - soil regeneration & permaculture

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Mon Nov 4 12:35:34 GMT 2013

Swansea Biochar

http://www.soil-carbon-regeneration.co.uk/swansea-biochar/

P1010194

Located in South Gower, a few miles from Swansea, Swansea Biochar is
where we implement the theories of soil carbon regeneration.

The vegetables produced are sold locally through
a<http://www.soil-carbon-regeneration.co.uk/swansea-biochar/local-box-scheme/>box
scheme delivery service. We use a horse drawn cart to deliver the
vegetables and so have a catchment area of around 2 miles radius.

The inputs of our system come from a local tree, garden
and<http://www.soil-carbon-regeneration.co.uk/swansea-biochar/local-green-waste-collection/>
green waste collection service. Other inputs come from atmospheric
carbon which is stabilised in the soil as glomalin.

We occasionally run workshops, open days, carbon negative meal days
and
other<http://www.soil-carbon-regeneration.co.uk/swansea-biochar/news-and-events/>
events.

Climate change, food security, nutrition, pollution, peak oil,
economic collapse, the list goes on. It is not surprising that
increasing numbers of people are growing their own food.

We need to move away from fossil fuels, yet the world population has
risen to 7bn on the back of urning fossil fuels. We need to use
different systems to produce our food and energy.

If we are not thoughtful and careful, gardening can be more
environmentally harmfull than farming (per acre). There are
techniques of stabilising carbon in soil of interest to anybody
wanting to live and grow their own food whilst benefiting the Earth.

Putting high carbon material such as wood or straw into your garden
is not the same thing as stabilising it. Stabilise it and you stop it
from decomposing, it will remain for hundreds or thousands of years
instead of just a few years.

Anybody can generate domestic energy and grow their own food  by
stabilising carbon in soil. This is the reverse of most other ways of
producing food and energy, which release carbon into the atmosphere.

Stabilising carbon in soil reverses climate change.

Stabilised carbon in soil can maintain long term fertility of that
soil reducing the need for other inputs.

Two of these techniques are;

1, Making and using
<http://www.soil-carbon-regeneration.co.uk/biochar/>biochar whilst
making maximum use of the heat produced during this process.

2, Encouraging the production
of<http://www.soil-carbon-regeneration.co.uk/glomalin/>
glomalin  through providing optimal conditions for Arbuscular
Mycorrhizal Fungi (AMF).

These forms of stabilised soil carbon can be used to promote soil
aggregation; soil structures which bind other soil components
together in the soil.

If we get our food and energy in ways which build soil through
stabilising carbon in soil then we reverse our ecological footprint
and live in ways which enhance life on Earth.