Why Aren’t We Rising Up As Our Country Is Sold Off?

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Mon Nov 4 22:40:12 GMT 2013

WHY AREN’T WE RISING UP AS OUR COUNTRY IS SOLD OFF & OUR GOVT SELLS OUT?

http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/11/04/why-arent-we-rising-up-as-our-country-is-sold-off-our-govt-sells-out/

An apathetic mainstream media, an ambivalent
political class and a broad populace who have
become spectators rather than actors in their
daily lives, have created the mistaken impression
that Britain is taking its austerity hammering
lying down.  This could not be further from the
truth.  Many of the most disenfranchised groups
in UK society are rising, rebellion is fomenting,
and flames of dissidence are licking the powder
keg of mainstream mood.  So why doesn’t it feel like it?

Where is the Fight Back?

The current government and the economic model
they support are impoverishing whole sections of UK society:
    * The number of young people without work for
longer than two years is at
<http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/11/04/why-arent-we-rising-up-as-our-country-is-sold-off-our-govt-sells-out/http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/10/30/a-jobless-generation-uk-govt-creates-worst-youth-unemployment-in-20-years/>its
highest in twenty years, the cost of living is
rising at
<http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/11/04/why-arent-we-rising-up-as-our-country-is-sold-off-our-govt-sells-out/http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2328343/Cost-living-rising-faster-wages-means-workers-2-234-worse-years-ago-TUC-warns.html>four
times the rate of wages,
    * This Christmas
<http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/11/04/why-arent-we-rising-up-as-our-country-is-sold-off-our-govt-sells-out/http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24798498>80,000
children will be homeless
    *
<http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/11/04/why-arent-we-rising-up-as-our-country-is-sold-off-our-govt-sells-out/http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/10144381/Spending-cuts-tip-600000-children-into-poverty.html>600,000
more children will be living in poverty by the next election.
All while the government hails the
<http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/11/04/why-arent-we-rising-up-as-our-country-is-sold-off-our-govt-sells-out/http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24799507>fastest
growing economy in the western world.  Economic
growth on the back of poverty wages and cuts to
the welfare state which are leaving people
destitute.  This is serious.  It is quite literally a matter of life and death.
So, where is the fight back?  Why aren’t people in the streets?
They are.  But it’s no picnic out there.

The Police State

They have found their right to protest
<http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/11/04/why-arent-we-rising-up-as-our-country-is-sold-off-our-govt-sells-out/http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/03/19/police-state-uk-the-rights-you-didnt-know-youd-lost/>revoked
by successive parliaments under the guise of
anti-terror legislation.  On top of that, they
are confronted by a militarised, political police
force that
uses<http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/11/04/why-arent-we-rising-up-as-our-country-is-sold-off-our-govt-sells-out/http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/alfie-meadows-calls-on-ipcc-to-reopen-investigation-into-student-protest-8529544.html>brute
force,
<http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/11/04/why-arent-we-rising-up-as-our-country-is-sold-off-our-govt-sells-out/http://earthfirstjournal.org/newswire/2013/05/10/uk-police-testing-new-chemical-weapons-for-crowd-control/>chemical
agents,
<http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/11/04/why-arent-we-rising-up-as-our-country-is-sold-off-our-govt-sells-out/http://content.met.police.uk/Site/airsupportunit>helicopters,
<http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/11/04/why-arent-we-rising-up-as-our-country-is-sold-off-our-govt-sells-out/http://www.fitwatch.org.uk/forward-intelligence-teams/fit-the-role/>intelligence
squads sporting cameras and making snatch and
grab arrests,
<http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/11/04/why-arent-we-rising-up-as-our-country-is-sold-off-our-govt-sells-out/http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/met-wants-to-buy-more-armoured-vehicles-to-clear-streets-of-rioters-7445827.html>armoured
vehicles, horses, dogs and the real threat of
arrest.  This, combined with a toxic media
narrative about ‘trouble making’ protesters has
succeeded in making protest a personally
dangerous and largely unpopular act to engage in.

The ‘Play Nice’ Problem

The purpose of protest and civil disobedience is
to get in the way, disrupt the ordinary goings on
and draw people’s attention to an
issue.  However, a protest is nowadays defined as
somehow bad and wrong if it actually does
this.  In short, you have the right to protest,
so long as you don’t actually protest. By all
means, knit quietly in a corner for world peace,
or make a daisy chain to end poverty – but make
no noise, get in nobody’s way and for goodness
sake’s don’t be angry! This has put pressure on
protest movements to be fluffy and ineffectual is
they want positive media coverage or popular
support (despite the fact that they will make no actual difference).

The Absence of Mass Support

As a part of Occupy London, it astounds me when
people who were never there, and never attended a
single related protest say things like ‘Well, I
was hoping Occupy were going to do something
about all this but then it just fizzled out’.
Firstly, what an abdication of any
responsibility! This willingness to allow a group
of people just like themselves to carry the
entire burden of responsibility for change.  But
latterly, Occupy didn’t ‘fizzle out’.  The camps
were raided by
<http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/11/04/why-arent-we-rising-up-as-our-country-is-sold-off-our-govt-sells-out/http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/feb/28/occupy-london-camp-police-clearance>police
and bailiffs in the dark of night, people were
dragged screaming from their tents and the full
force of the police state came down upon their
heads.  But this is the sort of withering
platitudes one can expect of all those spectators in the stands.

Are you on the Pitch, or in the Stands?

How do you know whether you are viewing yourself
as a spectator or an actor in the development of our world?
You can spot the differences by the questions you ask.

Spectator Questions

How do you think it will all pan out?
Why isn’t anyone rising up?
How on earth is all this allowed to happen without a fight back?

Actor Questions

These are the questions which, if you ask them,
call you into action – and are therefore the
questions of a person who is not watching passively, but getting involved:

What can I do?
How can I help make this work?
How can I make call others into action?

There is nothing wrong with being a spectator by
the way.  There is no moral judgement here.  The
problem occurs when you don’t realise you are a
spectator.  Having an opinion on the action on
the pitch, doesn’t mean you are playing the
game.  Your action is not amounting to anything
more than the spectator next to you with a
divergent opinion – you are both just shouting
into the wind.  So feeling like your
‘progressive’ opinion is more important than
their opposing one just makes you a
self-righteous spectator. Not part of the actual game of change.

Your anger, your fury, your sadness, your empathy
– all of it counts for absolutely nothing on the
pitch.  You are the background noise. If you want
a say in the development of a movement for
change, then you have to step off the stands and
join in.  This might mean dragging some other spectators down with you.

Why is No One Rising Up?

The situation we have here is that a significant
number of the population, the mainstream media
and the political class are not even in the
stands – they are at home in their front room,
with their feet up, watching a different channel
altogether.  They can easily fall into the
assumption that nothing is happening.
A very great deal is happening.
The students rose up in their tens of thousands
in
<http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/11/04/why-arent-we-rising-up-as-our-country-is-sold-off-our-govt-sells-out/http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_UK_student_protests>2010,
to defend their right to an education without
incurring enormous debts through tuition
fees.  They were met with some of the most
<http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/11/04/why-arent-we-rising-up-as-our-country-is-sold-off-our-govt-sells-out/http://www.theguardian.com/education/2010/dec/10/student-protests-tuition-fees-violence>violent
policingseen on UK streets in modern
history.  The Prime Minister dismissed these
young people as a
<http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/11/04/why-arent-we-rising-up-as-our-country-is-sold-off-our-govt-sells-out/http://www.theguardian.com/education/2010/dec/10/student-protests-tuition-fees-violence>‘feral
mob’, the press joined in and public sentiment
slavishly turned against the peaceful student protesters.
There have been several mass public sector
strikes together with protest marches over the
last three years.  On the 30th November
<http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/11/04/why-arent-we-rising-up-as-our-country-is-sold-off-our-govt-sells-out/http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/unions-hail-public-sector-strike-6269862.html>2011,more
than
<http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/11/04/why-arent-we-rising-up-as-our-country-is-sold-off-our-govt-sells-out/http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2011/12/02/voices-from-the-occupation-n30/>2
million public sector workers went on strike when
more than 30 unions united.  The strike closed
more than
<http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/11/04/why-arent-we-rising-up-as-our-country-is-sold-off-our-govt-sells-out/http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/unions-hail-public-sector-strike-6269862.html>three
quarters of schools in England, as well as
courts, museums, libraries and jobcentres,
disrupted transport, hospitals and Government
departments, led to around
<http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/11/04/why-arent-we-rising-up-as-our-country-is-sold-off-our-govt-sells-out/http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/unions-hail-public-sector-strike-6269862.html>15%
of driving tests being
cancelled.  Physiotherapists, headteachers,
librarians, lollipop ladies, refuse collectors,
weather forecasters and scientists were among
those involved as
<http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/11/04/why-arent-we-rising-up-as-our-country-is-sold-off-our-govt-sells-out/http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/unions-hail-public-sector-strike-6269862.html>hundreds
of thousands marched through the streets of the
capital and their hometowns in protest.  November
30th is now marked each year with such a protest.

This summer has seen
<http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/11/04/why-arent-we-rising-up-as-our-country-is-sold-off-our-govt-sells-out/http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/06/20/gove-facing-a-summer-of-dissent-as-teachers-parents-and-students-fight-back-on-education/>wave
after wave of teachers’ strikes, as teaching
staff make their opposition to Education
Secretary Michael Gove’s plans to break up the
national system of education, allow unqualified
teachers into the classrooms, sells off playing
fields and cuts physical education while a
childhood obesity crisis occurs, and denigrates
the profession, pay and pension of the teachers
themselves.  Nearly
<http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/11/04/why-arent-we-rising-up-as-our-country-is-sold-off-our-govt-sells-out/http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-24549604>3,500
schools shut just last month as part of these strikes.

<http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/11/04/why-arent-we-rising-up-as-our-country-is-sold-off-our-govt-sells-out/http://www.fbu.org.uk/?p=7803>Fire
Fighters have been striking up and down the
country in a fight over
<http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/11/04/why-arent-we-rising-up-as-our-country-is-sold-off-our-govt-sells-out/http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/may/17/fire-report-uk-statistics>reductions
in staff
and<http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/11/04/why-arent-we-rising-up-as-our-country-is-sold-off-our-govt-sells-out/http://www.fbu.org.uk/?page_id=131>pension
schemes.

Universities up and down the land
<http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/11/04/why-arent-we-rising-up-as-our-country-is-sold-off-our-govt-sells-out/http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/universities-shut-tomorrow-thousands-staff-2657471>closed
for 24 hours just days ago as thousands of staff
from cleaners to lecturers joined a national
strike over attacks on their pay, pensions and university funding.

Disabled activist groups such as Disabled People
Against Cuts (DPAC), Black Triangle and others
have been mounting acts of civil disobedience in
the face of social security cuts impoverishing
sick and disabled people.  They have
<http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/11/04/why-arent-we-rising-up-as-our-country-is-sold-off-our-govt-sells-out/http://www.lbc.co.uk/regent-st-closed-by-wheelchair-protest-photos-50423/album/regent_st_closed_by_wheelchair_protest/1577>chained
their wheelchairs together to close busy London
roads, they held the
<http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/11/04/why-arent-we-rising-up-as-our-country-is-sold-off-our-govt-sells-out/http://www.demotix.com/news/2805357/scrap-atos-protest-disabled-people-against-cuts#media-2843882>’10,000
Cuts and Counting’ ceremony of remembrance
outside parliament where they read out the names
of the thousands of sick and disabled people that
have died undergoing the government’s ‘work capability assessments’.

When the Arms Fair came to London it was met by
organised and determined protest.  Several
activists are
<http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/11/04/why-arent-we-rising-up-as-our-country-is-sold-off-our-govt-sells-out/http://www.stopthearmsfair.org.uk/>now
facing prosecution, while the illegal arms
manufacturers they demonstrated to oppose are
free to sell illegal weapons on UK soil.

<http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/11/04/why-arent-we-rising-up-as-our-country-is-sold-off-our-govt-sells-out/http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSe8AVyHBpE>Thousands
of activists descended on Balcombe village, West
Sussex to oppose the government’s plans to
introduce hydraulic fracturing (Fracking) in the
UK despite clear issues of environmental damage,
water pollution and corruption.

Protest, strikes and civil disobedience are an
almost daily occurrence up and down the country
constantly.  So what is this feeling that says it’s not enough?

The Missing Ingredient is You

If demonstrations, strikes, protest marches,
Occupations and other acts of civil disobedience
are happening all around – why are so many acting
as if nothing is happening?  Why is there this
feeling, expressed by so many, that the UK is
just meekly submitting to a corrupt, elitist
government dismantling its welfare state, civil liberties and public services?

Imagine all those asking this question are in
their lounge, and a fire has been set in an
upstairs room of the house.  They cannot see the
fire, they cannot feel the heat of its flames,
and they cannot smell its smoke.  To all intents
and purposes there is not fire, for them, right
now.  But that does not mean there is no
fire.  Either they will discover the fire, or the fire will discover them.

Spectators, if you want to see a fight back, you have to move.

So far, the fight is largely being left to the
hardest hit and a significant number who have
come off the benches to support them.

No movement can deliver the kind of killer blow
that destroys a government or a whole political
or economic system without mass, popular
support.  It needs the spectators to get off the
side lines and throw their whole weight into the
thing.  Only that can create the momentum, the
energy and the unbearable tension which moves
worlds onward past periods of injustice. So don’t
ask ‘where is the fight back?’

Find it, join it and make damn sure everybody else does.

Don’t get angry, get involved!

<http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/11/04/why-arent-we-rising-up-as-our-country-is-sold-off-our-govt-sells-out/https://www.facebook.com/events/367734613317657/>Nov
5th Protests – join them

<http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/11/04/why-arent-we-rising-up-as-our-country-is-sold-off-our-govt-sells-out/http://dpac.uk.net/>DPAC
– join them

<http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/11/04/why-arent-we-rising-up-as-our-country-is-sold-off-our-govt-sells-out/http://www.boycottworkfare.org/>Boycott
Workfare – join them

<http://www.scriptonitedaily.com/2013/11/04/why-arent-we-rising-up-as-our-country-is-sold-off-our-govt-sells-out/http://occupylondon.org.uk/>Occupy
London  – join them

Why Aren’t We Rising Up As Our Country Is Sold Off & Our Govt Sells Out?