Greenpeace: Landowners can work together to block fracking 'trespass'

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Wed Oct 16 17:32:14 BST 2013

Greenpeace: Landowners can work together to block fracking 'trespass'

Campaigners change tack in fight against fracking
JONATHAN BROWN  Author Biography   MONDAY 14 OCTOBER 2013
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/greenpeace-landowners-can-work-together-to-block-fracking-trespass-8879636.html

Householders are being urged to block plans for
widescale fracking in Britain by denying
permission for drilling companies to extract oil
and gas from underneath their homes.

Environmental group Greenpeace is calling on
local residents who oppose shale gas or oil
exploitation near them to join together to
assert, what they claim, are common law rights to
forbid the “trespass” of energy firms from
conducting activities below their property.

The legal challenge, which was launched in
Preston, Lancashire, was joined by residents from
the Fylde and campaigners from Balcombe, West
Sussex, who have been fighting Cuadrilla over
energy exploration close to their communities.

Lawyers for Greenpeace claim that a Supreme Court
ruling in 2010 in which Mohammed Al-Fayed sought
a share of the proceeds from an energy firm after
it drilled for oil under his Surrey estate paves
the way for mass action by concerned citizens.

Five justices rejected the former Harrods owners’
demands for compensation and damages but
unanimously upheld the claim of trespass.

Environmentalists said that ordinary homeowners
must give their permission before horizontal
drilling - which could see gas removed from under
their land - can begin close by and claimed that
the industry is planning to ride roughshod over
individual rights in the dash to recover oil and gas

However, the industry group representing
operators described the challenge as “extremely
misleading”. The UK Onshore Operators Group said
in a statement: “Operators in this country are
abiding by the law, which states that activities
at depths of over a mile under the ground do not
impact landowners. However, in line with the law,
operators will inform all landowners in a very clear and transparent manner.”

Under UK law, underground resources are the
property of the Crown. The Government is in the
process of issuing a 14 round of licences for
petrochemicals which campaigners say will cover
two thirds of England. Green groups fear it could
lead to mass industrialisation of the countryside
whilst polluting water and air around exploration sites.

A moratorium on fracking activities – which
involves fracturing gas-rich shale rock with
water, sand and chemicals - was lifted in 2012
following concerns over two seismic events around Blackpool.

The Government remains keenly committed to
exploiting unconventional energy reserves. This
summer the British Geological Survey estimated
130 trillion cubic feet of shale gas could be
recoverable onshore, mainly from across the north
of England - the equivalent of 40 years of UK supplies.

Greenpeace spokeswoman Anna Jones however said
fracking was a "desperate ploy" by the Government
to keep the UK hooked on fossil fuels.

She said: "Fracking is risky for local
environments, risky for our water supplies and
risky for the global climate. People are right to
stand up and say 'not under my land you don't'."

Andrew Pemberton, a Lancashire dairy farmer said
he was worried for the ecology of the Fylde near
Blackpool and would be joining the protest. "I'm
supplying milk to 3,000 households, and if for
any reason my water became contaminated, my
business would be ruined and my livelihood
destroyed, as well as the livelihoods of the 16
families who work for me. Fracking is dangerous
and short-sighted. We should be keeping this gas in the ground,” he said.

Francis Egan, Cuadrilla CEO, said: "This country
pioneered subsurface infrastructure. All of our
existing subsurface underground rail, water, gas,
telecommunications and electric development has
historically succeeded in legal coexistence with
surface property rights. Newer technology such as
geothermal energy and carbon capture and storage
will also have to negotiate this.”

Brennan - Wikileaks

On Monday February 27th, 2012, WikiLeaks began
publishing The Global Intelligence Files, over
five million e-mails from the Texas headquartered
"global intelligence" company Stratfor. The
e-mails date between July 2004 and late December
2011. They reveal the inner workings of a company
that fronts as an intelligence publisher, but
provides confidential intelligence services to
large corporations, such as Bhopal's Dow Chemical
Co., Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Raytheon
and government agencies, including the US
Department of Homeland Security, the US Marines
and the US Defence Intelligence Agency. The
emails show Stratfor's web of informers, pay-off
structure, payment laundering techniques and psychological methods.

Obama Leak Investigations (internal use only - pls do not forward)

Released on 2012-09-10 00:00 GMT
Email-ID
1210665
Date
2010-09-21 21:38:37
From
burton at stratfor.com
secure at stratfor.com
Brennan is behind the witch hunts of investigative journalists learning
information from inside the beltway sources.

Note -- There is specific tasker from the WH to go after anyone printing
materials negative to the Obama agenda (oh my.) Even the FBI is
shocked. The Wonder Boys must be in meltdown mode...

Germany Outlines New Strategy for a European Army

Source: The Trumpet  http://stratrisks.com/geostrat/15918

Rather than create a European army all at once,
Germany should focus on building it bit by bit,
according to a paper published this month by the
Konrad Adenauer Foundation (kaf). Germany should
develop “islands of cooperation”­small groups of
countries whose militaries work together­that can
be used as “building blocks” of a pan-European military power, it wrote.

To dedicated Trumpet readers, this should sound
very familiar. It is exactly what we described
Germany doing in the August print edition of the
Trumpet. Now you can read it in black and white,
from a think tank that describes itself as
“closely associated with the Christian Democratic
Union of Germany (cdu)”­the party of Angela Merkel.