Can Russia break dollar's spine? & Russia Announces Decoupling Trade from Dollar

Tony Gosling tony at cultureshop.org.uk
Wed Apr 9 20:50:57 BST 2014

Can Russia break dollar's spine?
08.04.2014
http://english.pravda.ru/russia/economics/08-04-2014/127297-russia_dollars-0/

Gas, oil and defense products for rubles. This is
what Russian monopolists think to do on the world
market. The initiative came from the head of VTB
Bank, Andrei Kostin. According to him, the move
to switch to payments in a different currency
will strike a blow on the dollar system. The
question is whether other market participants, in
particular in the oil and gas field, are going to agree to such terms.

Russian bankers and big business, in light of
recent threats from the West, may break the
dollar peg of the world market. The initiative
from the head of VTB looks too ambitious, but
this is only an impression at first glance. There
are Russian experts who believe that abandoning
the dollar settlement in exports of gas and oil
products, as well as the products of Russian
defense enterprises, is quite simple. In this
case, the omnipotent dollar system may incur
losses. Thus, according to the Federal Service
for Military-Technical Cooperation of Russia, as
of the results of 2013, the volume of deliveries
of Russian military equipment amounted to 15.7
billion dollars. By early 2014, the order backlog
reached $40 billion. That is, the demand on the
products of the Russian defense industry has been
growing. Yet, most payments are made in dollars,
which means that the American system benefits
from the Russian trade. Now that the U.S.
introduces sanctions against Russia, wouldn't it
be logical for Russia to abandon the widespread
support of the American national currency?

"I think that this is a kind of a good initiative
that tomorrow nobody will be able to realize, -
chief editor of Arms Export magazine, Andrei
Frolov, shared his opinion with Pravda.Ru. -
There are contracts with a long term of
execution, and if contracts are executed in
dollars, it is highly unlikely that they would
agree to recalculate them in rubles. It would be
possible, though, if Russian rubles were used in
trade with the CIS countries. If this lesson is
successful, it would then be possible to apply it to foreign countries."

At the same time, according to experts, the
process to switch to another currency may take
years, even if Russian partners agree to take it
up. The case in the oil and gas sector is even
more interesting, which, as the head of VTB
Andrei Kostin believes, should also be decoupled
from the dollar. Of course, a game change on the
market of "black gold" will allow Russia to give
the US currency a punch. The US dollar has been
strongly connected to the petrodollar system
since the end of the last century. Gazpromneft
already considers a possibility to replace
dollars with euros in export transactions. The
head of the company, Alexander Dyukov, said
that  95 percent of buyers of Russian raw
materials agree with the proposal, RBC reports.
Of course, such a decision will not be made in
the next few days, as it will cause quite big
difficulties. Yet, if the US continues to press
Russia with sanctions, the Russian big business
will be forced to take such crucial measures.
Will the buyers of Russian oil and gas companies
agree to accept such conditions?

"Other players will somehow have to adapt to the
seller, because there is no other place where
they could buy fuel from,- leading expert of the
Union of Oil and Gas Producers of Russia, Rustam
Tankan told Pravda.Ru. - We have the following
situation. Our main customers have been trying to
get rid of us as suppliers for half a century
already. European states decided 50 years ago to
buy not more than one-third of energy carriers.
It was at the time of the USSR, but now it's
Russia, and Europe wants to get rid of these
supplies. They have done everything that could be
done to refuse from Russian deliveries??. Today,
they do anything that can be done immediately, so
consumers - those who buy Russian oil and gas -
are forced to do it. They buy it not because
there is a wide choice for them - they have
nowhere to go. In this situation, if we want to
pay in rubles or even yuans - they only want to
buy. I do not think that the consumers of our gas
and oil will have some problems from paying us
Russian rubles or other currencies."

Gazprom currently analyzes the possibility of
using the ruble more actively in its payments
with foreign buyers. Although, according to
Rustam Tankaev, the move to refuse from dollar
settlements in exporting resources can not cause
significant damage to the dollar system (because
the share of Russian money in the turnover of
funds on the global oil and gas market is not too
large), there will surely be benefits received
from it, especially for the Russian ruble. Ruble
settlements would increase the liquidity of the ruble, the expert believes.

Elizaveta Polskaya
Pravda.Ru

>From: Simon Fairlie <chapter7 at tlio.org.uk>
>

>Sadam Hussein's bid to ditch the petro-dollar
>was allegedly a main reason for the US invasion of Iraq.
>
>Simon
>
>On 9 Apr 2014, at 15:31,
><<mailto:mike.mccarthy70 at yahoo.com>mike.mccarthy70 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>wow!!! The more extreme social commenters on
>>youtube have been speaking about this for a
>>while now, I never actually thought it would
>>happen. Could be very interesting to see how
>>this all pans out. We may be about to live in some very interesting times...

>Russia Announces Decoupling Trade From Dollar
>
>http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article38165.htm
>
>China will re-open the old Silk Road as a new
>trading route linking Germany, Russia and China
>
>By Peter Koenig
>
>April 08, 2014 "ICH" - Russia has just dropped
>another bombshell, announcing not only the
>de-coupling of its trade from the dollar, but
>also that its hydrocarbon trade will in the
>future be carried out in rubles and local
>currencies of its trading partners – no longer
>in dollars – see Voice of Russia
>
>Russia’s trade in hydrocarbons amounts to about
>a trillion dollars per year. Other countries,
>especially the BRICS and BRCIS-associates
>(BRICSA) may soon follow suit and join forces
>with Russia, abandoning the ‘petro-dollar’ as
>trading unit for oil and gas. This could amount
>to tens of trillions in loss for demand of
>petro-dollars per year (US GDP about 17 trillion
>dollars – December 2013) – leaving an important
>dent in the US economy would be an understatement.
>
>Added to this is the declaration today by
>Russia’s Press TV – China will re-open the old
>Silk Road as a new trading route linking
>Germany, Russia and China, allowing to connect
>and develop new markets along the road,
>especially in Central Asia, where this new
>project will bring economic and political
>stability, and in Western China provinces,where
>“New Areas” of development will be created. The
>first one will be the Lanzhou New Area in
>China’s Northwestern Gansu Province, one of China’s poorest regions.
>
>“During his visit to Duisburg, Chinese President
>Xi Jinping made a master stroke of economic
>diplomacy that runs directly counter to the
>Washington neo-conservative faction’s effort to
>bring a new confrontation between NATO and Russia.” (press TV, April 6, 2014)
>
>“Using the role of Duisburg as the world’s
>largest inland harbor, an historic
>transportation hub of Europe and of Germany’s
>Ruhr steel industry center, he proposed that
>Germany and China cooperate on building a new
>“economic Silk Road” linking China and Europe.
>The implications for economic growth across Eurasia are staggering.”
>
>Curiously, western media have so far been
>oblivious to both events. It seems like a desire
>to extending the falsehood of our western
>illusion and arrogance – as long as the silence will bear.
>
>Germany, the economic driver of Europe – the
> [...]

Twitter: @TonyGosling http://twitter.com/tonygosling
http://groups.google.com/group/uk-911-truth
http://www.youtube.com/user/PublicEnquiry
www.actorsandartistsfor911truth.org
www.mediafor911truth.org
www.pilotsfor911truth.org
www.mp911truth.org
www.ae911truth.org
www.rl911truth.org
www.stj911.org
www.l911t.com
www.v911t.org

www.abolishwar.org.uk
www.globalresearch.ca
www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1407615751783.2051663.1274106225&l=90330c0ba5&type=1

"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic
poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung

Fear not therefore: for there is nothing covered
that shall not be revealed; and nothing hid that
shall not be made known. What I tell you in
darkness, that speak ye in the light and what ye
hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops. Matthew 10:26-27

Die Pride and Envie; Flesh, take the poor's advice.
Covetousnesse be gon: Come, Truth and Love arise.
Patience take the Crown; throw Anger out of dores:
Cast out Hypocrisie and Lust, which follows whores:
Then England sit in rest; Thy sorrows will have end;
Thy Sons will live in peace, and each will be a friend.
http://tinyurl.com/6ct7zh6